BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #23
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I told the guy if I stepped down it was going to be with my gun (I'm probably 1/3 his size, so you might understand), so he better cool it and get back to his truck. He backs off but continues threatening me and insulting me, but I kept my cool and ignored him, which is the proper way to diffuse such situations, gun or not. After I took off, it occurred to me I was in my wife's car, so no gun (oops!). Crazy people out there indeed. That's why my wife made me sell my motorcycles... and why I own an M3 now . Take care.
And there's where the everybody can have guns thing can go horribly wrong. What if he was carrying?? You could have gotten shot for a stupid traffic argument. For God's sake be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Because I made the turn faster than he did and ended up being in front of him?
Aha. Ok. if he didn't have his indicator on then you were completely in the right.
If he did have it on and overshot a bit then technically you were still within your rights but I guess he could argue that you could have given him a bit of courtesy but who knows. If he'd overshot a lot I would do what you did and maybe give him a flyer for a driving school
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #24
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Just had an accident 30 minutes ago. Trying to move over 3 lanes to get off an exit with an SUV behind me but one lane to the right of me. He too was going to the same lane I was going to 3 lanes over. I had my blinker on the whole time and each time I move over a lane he tries to close the gap and not let me in. On the final lane change, he got really close but I still got in, and he honked. I brake checked him then he flew past me at like 90mph on an exit. Later he flips me off.

People like this who won't let people get to where they are going make me sick. I wasn't just trying to cut him off, I was trying to get off the exit. In a way I feel sorry for these people as they seem to either have no heart or the understanding that people other than themselves have to go places.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 07:25 PM   #25
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
Threatening a guy with a gun?? Really?
He is from Texas.... Go figure... I would of loved for the other dude to ask him to step out.... Most people in situations like this end up getting shot w/ their own guns.... in this case it would of been a nice a-ss whooping though.... Guns...
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #26
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Just had an accident 30 minutes ago. Trying to move over 3 lanes to get off an exit with an SUV behind me but one lane to the right of me. He too was going to the same lane I was going to 3 lanes over. I had my blinker on the whole time and each time I move over a lane he tries to close the gap and not let me in. On the final lane change, he got really close but I still got in, and he honked. I brake checked him then he flew past me at like 90mph on an exit. Later he flips me off.

People like this who won't let people get to where they are going make me sick. I wasn't just trying to cut him off, I was trying to get off the exit. In a way I feel sorry for these people as they seem to either have no heart or the understanding that people other than themselves have to go places.
So what part of that was the accident....??
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired

Last edited by TTG; 07-27-2009 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #27
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
So what pert of that was the accident....??
I believe he meant incident.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #28
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post

I can see your side... but I see his side too. Depending on the nature of the surrounding roads and conditions, I might not have let you in either. Don't get me wrong, I let people in front of me a lot (daily) in situations where the traffic pattern or road layout requires it or strongly suggests it. And sometimes I let people in just because generally I am a good guy. It's part of being a courteous driver.

But I don't always let people in. There is a limit to how much you can expect other drivers to bend to accommodate your whim or special needs. You have to be reasonable. Maybe you were in fact being reasonable in this situation. But the general rule, for me, is to never force other drivers to alter their speed or direction. I'll let the traffic signals and signs do that, just as I expect it myself.

The key is to always think ahead where you need to be next. Maybe in your situation you did and you got over as quick as possible. Ok fine. So maybe the guy was being a prick. But maybe not. He might have just expected you to drop your speed slightly and fall in behind. Maybe that's what he does when he is in the position you were in. You don't really know.

I face plenty of drivers daily who want to jump in front of me because they are on the cell phone and not paying attention. Or maybe they were ignoring signs. How do I know in the latter case? Well, when 99% of the people "get it" and one guy decides to break traffic flow because he is too busy or too important to fall in with everyone else I take issue. I will not hesitate speed up to close a gap if I feel I am about to be cut off, even "politely cut off". The fact is, causing others to have to brake is a safety concern and also rude. But sometimes I just let them in anyway. Depends on the situation and even my mood.

Same thing with someone pulling in front of me on a two lane road with a 45mph speed limit at 25mph (or appearing to contemplate it). I take issue there and will sometimes speed up as they are slowly inching out to convince them its not a good idea. Or maybe I whip around them at 70mph if they do pull out. Am I an asshole? Maybe. I've been flipped off for doing these or similar things. But who's the real asshole here? If no one is behind me for a mile, and you force me out of my would-be course or travel, then aren't you a dick? I bet you wouldn't do that while we are walking on a street right? Because there you actually have to come face-to-face with the guy you are pissing off, and most people are too cowardly to actually mess with someone else when they know they might be confronted.
Appreciate 0