BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

06-12-2018, 11:29 PM   #23
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by angy View Post
well I am far from an expert for sure. my dad was a body man so I grew up spending lots of time in a shop so I am not oblivious either. For some it's the smell of baked cookies that remind them of childhood.. for me it's the smell of Bondo lol!

But yes.. I think being a female it's tough to get taken seriously when it comes to some things .. cars being top of the list. Unfortunately this is based in some truth - I can only think of one female friend that even knows how to check the oil in a car.

thanks for the luck... I am going to need it probably! and that's for your input. It sounds like I have valid reasons for my concern based on what happened to your mom's car.
Hey angy,

I'm so sorry to hear about this awful oil overfill issue. Please keep us posted on what happens.

I agree that it can be challenging sometimes to be a female in these types of scenarios. Even when you know wtf you are talking about, sometimes people will treat you like you have no clue what is going on. Or worse.. I'm sure we could share tonnnnssss of stories about sh** like this.

I notice you're in NC, and also that your car is a manual We should be friends I also grew up hanging around the garage in my backyard, where I watched my brother dismantle cars and bikes and customize them from the frame up. I love cars and motorsports, but I only have a couple girlfriends who enjoy these things with me. We need to stick together!

Seriously though, good luck with everything. Hope your S65 will be okay.
Appreciate 2
BOOF-M34450.00
angy29.50
      06-12-2018, 11:33 PM   #24
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
You are a female Angy? Props to you for owning and understanding the M3. DreamTime is a female owner and role model for young girls out there who are into fast cars.
Boof, you are too sweet man
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 12:06 AM   #25
angy
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 MT

Quote:
You are a female Angy? Props to you for owning and understanding the M3. DreamTime is a female owner and role model for young girls out there who are into fast cars.
thanks! yep.. I am a female. Although I'm not exactly young. Immature probably.. ? either way I LOVE fast cars . always have. even when life didn't allow me to have one (the mini van years were pure torture !!) but I am making up for it now. My plans were to take this one to a track and REALLY drive it this summer. I just hope to get this all figured out so I can still do that.

I wonder if it is that females are afraid to venture into the unknown and stray too far from societies norms.. or are they just truly not interested and could care less ? Most of my friends could care less. They have told me over and over again how they just don't get it - why didn't I get a new Camry? vs flying 3 states away and driving 14 hours home because I had to have THAT car?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 12:13 AM   #26
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Quote:
thanks! yep.. I am a female. Although I'm not exactly young. Immature probably.. ? either way I LOVE fast cars . always have. even when life didn't allow me to have one (the mini van years were pure torture !!) but I am making up for it now. My plans were to take this one to a track and REALLY drive it this summer. I just hope to get this all figured out so I can still do that.

I wonder if it is that females are afraid to venture into the unknown and stray too far from societies norms.. or are they just truly not interested and could care less ? Most of my friends could care less. They have told me over and over again how they just don't get it - why didn't I get a new Camry? vs flying 3 states away and driving 14 hours home because I had to have THAT car?
Yep, you remind me of DreamTime holy cow. You need to come to the Tail of the Dragon with all of us in November. We had 20 M3's last year, over 30 on the list for this year already. My girl Maya drives an M3 also so yes, there a at least a few of you out there. Your car situation will work itself out but it will take some hard work making those responsible accountable. I'm curious if the shop that did the work video tapes their work bays. If that is the case then it's game over for the shop. Video will invidious show their mechanic never removing the drain plug. Just a thought.
Appreciate 1
angy29.50
      06-13-2018, 12:14 AM   #27
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

the original shop that overfilled most likely has insurance to cover mistakes. I'm going to guess it will take a lawyer to write the shop a letter and hopefully the shop gets their insurance to settle with you. Best case you get a replacement car but I'd aim for at least getting a 3-5 year power train warranty paid for by the shops insurance. Sorry this happened to you. I would be very angry and sad. But end of the day it's a $20-30k car and if you can afford the lawyer have them handle this for you.
Appreciate 2
m3jala543.50
angy29.50
      06-13-2018, 12:24 AM   #28
angy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTime View Post
Hey angy,

I'm so sorry to hear about this awful oil overfill issue. Please keep us posted on what happens.

I agree that it can be challenging sometimes to be a female in these types of scenarios. Even when you know wtf you are talking about, sometimes people will treat you like you have no clue what is going on. Or worse.. I'm sure we could share tonnnnssss of stories about sh** like this.

I notice you're in NC, and also that your car is a manual We should be friends I also grew up hanging around the garage in my backyard, where I watched my brother dismantle cars and bikes and customize them from the frame up. I love cars and motorsports, but I only have a couple girlfriends who enjoy these things with me. We need to stick together!

Seriously though, good luck with everything. Hope your S65 will be okay.
Dreamtime.. how awesome! You are only about 3 hours from me I think. I actually test drove an M3 not to far from Greenville while on the hunt for this car. And have been planing a trip to Kershaw this summer.. perhaps a field trip?

Of course I will have to get this all taken care of first. :/
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 01:16 AM   #29
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Perhaps they only drained the smaller pan and not the larger before filling it. Either way it's s mistake they need to own up to.

I had a friend in high school work at a jiffy lube. Forgot to put oil in Pathfinder after he drained it, car made it about a quarter mile down the road before it blew up. He went on to work at Nissan where he'd light the bin of oil rags on fire "just to see what would happen".

Never underestimate stupid.
BOOF-M34450.00
atown8846.00
      06-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #30
shmad
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 m3  [0.00]
Same thing happened to a friend of mine in highschool. Jiffy lube forgot to drain the oil, but added in a six quarts anyway. Motor blew up on the way home. Most likely thats what they did.
the conversation should go like this:
them:"we didnt overfill it, we added the 9L it needed!"
ANGRY angy: "well the car already had almost 9L in it, and you put in another 9L, thats 18L you dumbass!"
BOOF-M34450.00
      06-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #31
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Dreamtime.. how awesome! You are only about 3 hours from me I think. I actually test drove an M3 not to far from Greenville while on the hunt for this car. And have been planing a trip to Kershaw this summer.. perhaps a field trip?

Of course I will have to get this all taken care of first. :/
Nice! You said something about wanting to track your M3? I have 12 track days on my calendar for the rest of this year, actually headed to Roebling Road this weekend. I'll send you my track schedule, maybe we can meet up? At the least, you should try and do VIR the last weekend in Sept with the Tarheel BMWCCA.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...-school-136521

I just booked the last room at the Lodge there for that weekend, we should talk.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help with your current situation. I have a huge local community in the Carolinas of local BMW fanatics who are always just as happy to help as I am.

Mary
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #32
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Hello Phil, long time no talk. I hope you have been well and the weather is behind you. Must be nice to be able to saddle her up on any given day now. Luckily here in Florida it's never an issue for us.
Sorry OP for this response I need some room for off topic .

BOOF-M3 I have to say *negative* my friend

The month May and last week were extremely hot (record temps. measurements in my province)
The weather was tropical hot for Belgium and so the thunderstorms as well !
We were struck *3-4 times* a week by thunderstorms with hail, water flooding followed by mudflows !
So I always drove with my Mini to my work and drove daily through the whole shit...Took no risk and kept my M3 always safely in my garage !
But actually I'm lucky because my house is built on a hill.
Report : I have no damage !

Here on this page is a video from the apocalypse in my village where I live => https://www.tvl.be/nieuws/tongeren-v...overlast-60510

You said ...*The weather is behind you* But actually the weather is in front of me !
Yeah...Sometimes the shit is real !
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #33
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Wow, that is something Phil, I was just making small talk as I thought Angys predicament was just a joke. I obviously do not think that anymore Angy. But that is unreal Phil. Good thing you have the mini as back up. I would be stuck as my M3 is my go to vehicle. I'll read the article as I am sure most who read your post will also.

Edit: I do not read Belgian lol, so I shall watch the video.
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2018, 12:38 AM   #34
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
the original shop that overfilled most likely has insurance to cover mistakes. I'm going to guess it will take a lawyer to write the shop a letter and hopefully the shop gets their insurance to settle with you. Best case you get a replacement car but I'd aim for at least getting a 3-5 year power train warranty paid for by the shops insurance. Sorry this happened to you. I would be very angry and sad. But end of the day it's a $20-30k car and if you can afford the lawyer have them handle this for you.
+1 on this. The point of getting a lawyer involved is to show you are serious, no need to slug this out on your own. A paid for warranty is a good idea on how to possibly minimally settle.
Appreciate 1
DreamTime864.50
      06-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #35
angy
United_States
Rep

@ ///M Power-Belgium - I don't mind the off topic at all.. so post away. But wow.. that is brutal! Glad you are not affected and feel bad for those that are. Sometimes mother nature reminds us who is actually in charge here.

@ BOOF-M3 -- the tail sounds like a lot of fun! I'll have to get the details from you on that.. I would love to try and make it out there. Thank you!

@ DreamTime ~ yes.. I am hoping to make it to a track this year and would be amazing to meet up sometime! It's funny.. I used to date a guy up in VA and would drool at the cars I'd see coming in and out of there when I passed by.
I'll write more to you in a bit... have some bugs to track down today before I can play.

@ msan - I never thought about a warranty.. that is brilliant. Because that is one of my biggest concerns - something was damaged that won't show up until a year from now. And you would think the shop would like that idea as well because they are not paying out for something that "might" happen.. only covering something that does happen. Seems like a win win. Except for the fact they are insisting they did nothing wrong.. grrrrrr

@ soManyBlue & shmad - thanks for sharing those stories - because it's a fact mistakes do happen. They keep saying the guy who did my car is the best of the best. As if that is supposed to mean he can't screw up?

And shmad ..actually it was more like this:

shop - "no way we added that much oil.. we only had the exact amount you needed"

me - "well what about what was already in the car - that counts too doesn't it?"

shop - "we drained fully so maybe someone else added more?"

me - " who.. oil fairies? the sensor showed over max on day one and I brought back 3 times for you to look at . Did it get fully drained then to check the sensor?"

shop - "the sensor was bad."

me - "it worked just fine before. and then why did BMW tell me after they drained that the sensor works fine? They don't stop working and then start again normally do they?"

shop -" sometimes these things happen.. it's just a crazy coincidence!"

a coincidence .. ? REALLY?? I think that was the point I started getting angry..

And then the guy at the BMW shop tells me that the overfill could not have caused my leaking valve cover gaskets? I have read elsewhere that it could. So who knows.. I just know I drove 9 days with 18 qts of oil in my car.. do any of you know if that could cause the VCG to leak ? Or at least contributed to it? Thing is.. the guy I got the car from told me he had just replace them a month before. And I paid for an inspection on the car prior to flying out to get it.. and reported zero oil leaks. So if that is true.. seems odd they would need replacing 3 months later to me.. but not a mechanic so really don't know. :/
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #36
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Welcome to the forum.
My opinion is the shop is screwing you over.
Them claiming the sensor is broken was likely because it takes a while to get a reading (5-10min of driving).
If you brought it in with the oil at normal and drove it out with it at max, there should be no question on what has happened here. Either they filled it without draining it, or filled it twice. Either way. This is on them. I agree with the previous comments about contacting a lawyer if they don't start playing ball. Sorry that is one of your first experiences with the car.
Appreciate 1
angy29.50
      06-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #37
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

Might need to start legal actions:

From another website:

Call the local vo-tech school & ask to talk to an auto instructor. Now he’s not gonna go to bat & testify that the garage ruined your engine, but what he could do is sign a sworn affidavit stating that if an engine is overfilled with oil it will eventually be ruined.

Also get an affidavit from the BMW dealer that in fact 18 liters came out when they drained it.

Then file a lawsuit (if it comes to that)& with the affidavits coupled with the fact that you don’t have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt in a lawsuit, just to a “preponderance of the evidence”, you would probably win.
Appreciate 2
angy29.50
      06-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #38
angy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngilbe36 View Post
Welcome to the forum.
My opinion is the shop is screwing you over.
Them claiming the sensor is broken was likely because it takes a while to get a reading (5-10min of driving).
If you brought it in with the oil at normal and drove it out with it at max, there should be no question on what has happened here. Either they filled it without draining it, or filled it twice. Either way. This is on them. I agree with the previous comments about contacting a lawyer if they don't start playing ball. Sorry that is one of your first experiences with the car.

I think you are correct. And I just realized that I may have what I need to show that they didn't drain the oil (vs someone adding in more on top of them). The invoice from BMW states the oil was dark and had a lot of sediment. If it was all new.. that would not be the case!

And no worry.. I associate that experience with the shop - not the car. The fact the car is still running and seems to be good so far (minus VCG leak) says a lot about the car to me..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #39
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
Might need to start legal actions:

From another website:

Call the local vo-tech school & ask to talk to an auto instructor. Now he’s not gonna go to bat & testify that the garage ruined your engine, but what he could do is sign a sworn affidavit stating that if an engine is overfilled with oil it will eventually be ruined.

Also get an affidavit from the BMW dealer that in fact 18 liters came out when they drained it.

Then file a lawsuit (if it comes to that)& with the affidavits coupled with the fact that you don’t have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt in a lawsuit, just to a “preponderance of the evidence”, you would probably win.
Completely agree with this.

Really sorry this happened as it must pretty much dampen or ruin an otherwise fantastic experience with this car.

Side note be wary of asking for a warranty which typically covers defects. This is not a defect so any claims related to this incident may not fly.

Good luck to you as this is not fun.
Appreciate 1
angy29.50
      06-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #40
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Where in NC and what shop? If you're near Raleigh/Durham, I need to know what shop so I can stay away lol
      06-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #41
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
@ ///M Power-Belgium - I don't mind the off topic at all.. so post away. But wow.. that is brutal! Glad you are not affected and feel bad for those that are. Sometimes mother nature reminds us who is actually in charge here.
@angy , thank you for your kind words !
I'm pretty sure you're really cute

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
angy29.50
      06-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #42
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yea I hate to say it but you should name said shop. Have you gone over the head of on site management? The fact that they say they drained it is irrelevant. It should be obvious to all that they did not. Including their corporate office and insurance company. Shit happens, no one is going to get fired, even Michael Jordan had off days. But they need to let corporate know that they screwed up. If it's just a small local Indy I hate to says it but posting here and Yelp etc... should get the ball rolling on him doing the right thing. I can't believe their response is that someone else put more oil in the car WTF!!!! Who speaks to someone like that?
Appreciate 4
      06-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #43
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Wow that is insane! Blows my mind thinking about a double dose of oil in the engine, and the fact that they would actually claim somebody just randomly decided to put another full fill of oil in directly after their oil change. How does a person spew such a far-fetched scenario with a straight face?! Sorry for the situation. Seems damn easy to prove their responsibility though.
Appreciate 1
angy29.50
      07-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #44
angy
United_States
Rep

Sorry I have been so long in my responses.. been crazy busy at work and home with very little break between the two.

I asked around and found a shop I feel good about. They are going to replace my valve cover gaskets and while in there check for any other issues. I'm hoping to leave it with him later this week.

I also talked to the actual owner of the shop. I can honestly say that he (so far) is one of the nicest people I've met. He was unaware of the whole mess he said. I explained it all to him.. he asked a few questions, and told me he was going to talk to his guys to be sure they had nothing to add -- but that he agreed that it sounded like they didn't drain it properly. He asked if I felt okay about bringing the car back to them.. told him I didn't just because of all that happened - but that I was okay with him being in communication with the shop doing the work because I had nothing to hide.. only asking for them fix what they broke. He said he would cover whatever was needed to make my car right. YAY!

I also got my Blackstone report from the oil sample I asked them to grab for me. I don't know if this oil overfill could affect bearings or not.. but it can't hurt to send another sample to check to see if metals are still showing good I guess?

It looks like you found a nice M3. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 5,500 miles on the oil. This oil has approximately 5,000 miles on it and metals line up well with averages, showing no obvious mechanical problems on the horizon. The viscosity read in the 5W/20 range - that's very thin for an M3. Fortunately, that didn't seem to hurt anything. Hopefully it was replaced with the factory
recommended viscosity. Check back next oil change.

Thanks to all of you for your input and support .. gave me that confidence boost I think I needed to deal with all this. I'll update this again on what they find once they get into the engine. You guys (and gal) rock!!
Appreciate 3
Ngilbe361618.50
msan402.50
DreamTime864.50