BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Steering is pulsating

Took my car out the other day (2010 45k miles), and decided it was too snowy to drive, so I headed back home. After about 10 mins (car was slightly warmed up) I pull into my driveway and bam... I'm stuck. My driveway is uphill, and I couldn't get traction. I tried getting some momentum from the street and driving fast, but no luck. Each time the LSD caused the back end to feel like it was going to come around on me.

Long story short, after about 5-6 failed attempts, the steering felt like it was pulsating, like it wasn't very direct at all, notchy even. I haven't driven since because of the bad weather, but wasn't sure what this could be, and if it's something I'll need to look at again when the weather improves. Seems like an odd explanation, but could this somehow be tied to the rear wheels not getting traction for an extended period of time?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
The Nash
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3; 2006 325xi

I wouldn't worry about it. You probably overworked the PS pump trying to steer too much from a stand still.

Rear wheel drive is useless in the snow, even with a posi.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Never take a car with summer tires out in the cold/snow, doesn't matter which wheels are driven. I'd wait until the roads clear up to see of the problem persists
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habernash View Post
wow... what a generalized statement... I'd say it depends on the car (and the driver). I had an old 325I that was absolutely phenomenal in the snow because of the 50/50 ratio and the controllability of the car. We used to have neighborhood races in the snow and I could follow the all-wheel drive stuff all day long...

Front wheel drive is whats useless unless you just have no clue what you are doing. Better slow down for those turns in a front wheel drive car...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
MMM3PWR
E90 6MT MASTER
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3AN
Quote:
wow... what a generalized statement... I'd say it depends on the car (and the driver). I had an old 325I that was absolutely phenomenal in the snow because of the 50/50 ratio and the controllability of the car. We used to have neighborhood races in the snow and I could follow the all-wheel drive stuff all day long...

Front wheel drive is whats useless unless you just have no clue what you are doing. Better slow down for those turns in a front wheel drive car...
I have studded blizzaks on my e90 m3 with stock suspension and it can handle 6 inches with precision...
      02-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3AN View Post

+1
My E90 is 100% better than my Hyundai (front wheel drive) in snow.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
The Nash
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3; 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3AN View Post

Not generalized at all. Try going up a hill in a rear wheel drive in snow, see how you like it. That is why 4 wheel drive was invented. Front wheel drive is infinitely better in the snow than rear wheel drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
meko
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - 535i Sport

It's all about tires tires tires.
      02-13-2014, 05:56 AM   #9
CurbBender'90
S
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 S65

Quote:
Originally Posted by meko
It's all about tires tires tires.
This is very true, when I first got my m3 at the dealer with summer tyers n the test drive went horrible. I couldn't move for nothing, almost was stuck in traffic driving to drive 100 feet. Blizzack studless- never had a problem other than too much throttle lol!! I also pull out of semi-steep driveway and never had trouble and it's icy. Gentle throttle, have a dodge pick up n it can't make it up the hill without awd sometimes sooo...better tyers could be your solution.
      02-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #10
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

So much of winter driving capability depends on the car and the tires (driver skill notwithstanding).

There is no question that tires make the biggest difference no matter what wheels are driven. Even an AWD car with summer tires is useless and dangerous in the snow.

The M3 does well because of its weight distribution. With proper winter tires, it can be quite capable.

Front wheel drive has the benefit of having the weight of the engine over the drive wheels to give traction. This is a big advantage over SOME rear drive applications that may have a lot of weight in front, but the drive at the rear. This makes for poor traction and poor handling.

Mid or rear engine wih RWD is also a great combination as it puts the weight of the engine over the drive wheels.

Still, if you have driven a sophisticated AWD platform with proper snow tires, you will see how supremely capable it can be in winter conditions. You can stop, turn, brake accelerate and cruise with a very high degree of safety and confidence. The car even feels more planted and capable.

Finally, I have never had more fun doing anything in any car at any time than I did driving my previous Audi RS4 in 10" fresh powder with Dunlop Winter Sports. What a complete blast !!!
      02-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #11
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Not generalized at all. Try going up a hill in a rear wheel drive in snow, see how you like it. That is why 4 wheel drive was invented. Front wheel drive is infinitely better in the snow than rear wheel drive.
Not true. It's all about tires. My e46 m3 with hamann lip almost touching the ground would drive through unplowed lots like nobody's business. Even my buddies jeep got stuck but not me
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #12
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
My 325I did fine going up hills, again has to do with tires and weight. But if you are uncomfortable driving in snow, definitely stick with your front wheel drive.

You are aware that it snows in Germany right?
Appreciate 0