BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

11-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
rmmcdaniel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3

6NF Smartphone Integration Pics

I picked up my '09 E90 M3 with 6NF Smartphone Integration tonight and wanted to post pics of the setup in the center console as I don't think I have seen any yet on the forums. My CA says the iPhone 3G cradle isn't available for order yet so unfortunately I can't report on the actual functionality differences 6NF gives you over the "standard" 6FL and bluetooth setup.

There is a dummy plate installed in the center console so I have taken pics both with and without it installed. Pics are at the following link/thread (sorry in advance for the crappy iPhone pics, it was all I had tonight):

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185267
      11-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
hawkeye-se
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 JB Coupe

Is this going to be retrofittable to '09s? I ordered my car before this option was announced (damn it).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
rmmcdaniel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm pretty sure it cannot be retrofitted based on what I have read here on the forums, but I don't have a definitive answer to that.
      11-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Thanks a bunch for posting this thread, rmmcdaniel. There have been plenty of others who say they have 6NF equipped '09s, but yours is the first I have seen that shows any evidence of it.

I wonder if this piece is the same physical piece that was previously sold as an phone cradle through BMW accessories? Or maybe it is a new piece. Obviously it is different in its electrical connection somehow since it supports Music playback. But I wonder if that is the only difference or if there are others.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

What you can see in your center console is called the "base plate". Did that come with your car, or did you purchase it separately?

Visually, it looks the same as the base plate used in the 08's, minus the words TCU, stamped on the plate ....
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

apw2607, are you as confused as I am by all this?

I believe you've been following the new 6NF developments as closely as me if I recall, and am I crazy, or did we not see multiple people claim they have 6NF equipped in their cars, only to have absolutely no visual evidence? As far as I know, rmcd is the first one to actually show signs that 6NF gets you anything other than some potentially different wiring inside the center console that will allow you to get music playback through some mythically rumored new type of cradle adapter (or base plate adapter, whatever one wants to call it).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

yea. thats why i asked the question. What rmmcdaniel shows it sort of what i expected to see when folks first started to get their 6NF equipped cars.

That base plate is unique to the car type

Once you have the base plate installed, you then buy a cradle for the phone, or smart phone you have

Whats interesting is ... the base plate doesnt look any different from the 08 base plate on quick inspection. However, i'm sure the pinouts are very different and include the necessary connectivity to allow the iphone to be used as a 6FL device.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
yea. thats why i asked the question. What rmmcdaniel shows it sort of what i expected to see when folks first started to get their 6NF equipped cars.

That base plate is unique to the car type

Once you have the base plate installed, you then buy a cradle for the phone, or smart phone you have

Whats interesting is ... the base plate doesnt look any different from the 08 base plate on quick inspection. However, i'm sure the pinouts are very different and include the necessary connectivity to allow the iphone to be used as a 6FL device.
Yes, apw, we are definitely on the same page here.

But what do you mean by the baseplate being unique to the car type? Do you mean E90 vs. E92 vs E93, etc? Or do you mean 2008 vs. 2009? As you assert, there must be some difference in the wiring harness that connects to the base plate (which I have been calling a cradle in most of these discussions, usually, I think). But what is that really, other than some wires? My big concern in all of this, being that I have an '08, was to figure some way to get an iPhone 3G cradle adapter (which I believe you may be calling the cradle itself, but its just a difference in our wording) into my car. There have been claims made that the 3G adapter will only work in 2009+ cars. But here we are seeing that as far as the physical shape of the base cradle piece is concerned, its really very similar if not identical to the currently available accessory. This gives me reason to believe that, when (and if) a 3G cradle appears, it should work both in newer cars with 6NF or older cars without it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
rmmcdaniel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm going to try to cover all the outstanding points at once...

"I wonder if this piece is the same physical piece that was previously sold as an phone cradle through BMW accessories? Or maybe it is a new piece. Obviously it is different in its electrical connection somehow since it supports Music playback. But I wonder if that is the only difference or if there are others."

I agree it physically looks just like the base plate sold previously but I have never seen the previous one live so I'm just basing that on pictures I've seen on websites. Whether or not it is the same, I also agree that the big difference in 6NF is the internal wiring to allow music playback.

"What you can see in your center console is called the "base plate"."

Yes, I know it is called a base plate. When I used the term "dummy plate" I was trying to discern between two of the pictures I took, one of the "naked" base plate and another that had a second piece that was kind of a "base plate connection cover" (i.e. dummy plate) snapped into the baseplate. It's only purpose appears to be to protect the connector used between the base plate and phone cradle.

"Did that come with your car, or did you purchase it separately?"

It came with my car from the factory. The only thing the dealer did was install the alarm and floor mats.

"Visually, it looks the same as the base plate used in the 08's, minus the words TCU, stamped on the plate ...."

Agreed.

"yea. thats why i asked the question. What rmmcdaniel shows it sort of what i expected to see when folks first started to get their 6NF equipped cars."

I completely agree with both of you. I have been watching the threads/posts too and didn't want to call anyone out since I didn't have my car yet (thus no physical evidence to call them out on), but I have had serious doubts as to whether the others that claim to have 6NF really have it.

As you know, when 6NF was announced it was stated that it was only available beginning with Oct production. At that time I already had a production number with a confirmed build week in Sep. I knew I wanted 6NF and immediately called my CA to add it to my order. That "action" resulted in a new production number being assigned to my order with an Oct build week. What I don't know is if the BMW order system issued the new production number based on adding 6NF to my order, or if my dealer "manually" switched my order to an October allocation because they knew 6NF was only available starting with Oct builds. The reason I bring this up is that many of the other posts from people who said they added 6NF to their order kept the same production numbers and Sep build weeks, and are the same people who have produced pics of their cars with no base plate installed. So I have doubts that they really have 6NF. One last note on this is that my order did end up moving up and production was completed the last full week of September.

The worst part about all of this is that the iPhone 3G cradle hasn't been released yet so I'm in no better position than you guys using 6FL/Bluetooth with the stupid "this device is not compatible" message!

That does bring up something I've been very curious about... Whether 6NF provides integrated phone functionality withOUT having to link the phone to the car via Bluetooth. I'm (obviously) hoping that is the case, but since nobody knows what this thing really does at this point it's pure speculation.
      11-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

I looked at your photos again, and compared it to my 08 base plate. I think I've spotted the difference. You base plate has two additional coaxial connector shown here. On the 08, these are simply plastic stubs.

I think this means ... that you might be able to still use the old iphone cradle in a 09 base plate ... however it would only give you charging and external antenna functionality. Not music functionality.

In answer to your other query, telephone connectivity with the iphone is done through bluetooth ... and thats it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Thanks a bunch for the replies, rm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmcdaniel View Post
As you know, when 6NF was announced it was stated that it was only available beginning with Oct production.

So I have doubts that they really have 6NF. One last note on this is that my order did end up moving up and production was completed the last full week of September.
This is so strange. I think that until someone with one of these earlier builds without the base plate actually tries to install the base plate after the fact, we won't know for sure whether they have 6NF or not. If they don't, perhaps they could still retro-fit 6NF if they were to obtain the proper wiring and other supporting hardware and install it.

Quote:
The worst part about all of this is that the iPhone 3G cradle hasn't been released yet so I'm in no better position than you guys using 6FL/Bluetooth with the stupid "this device is not compatible" message!
To me, this is the such a huge blunder by BMW. And this one we can't even pin on BMW NA because its a world-wide issue. Very strange that they would have such a hard time getting the adapter out on time. It should be very similar to the existing iPhone-original adapter, just slightly different dimensions, and of course the with the connections to the new pins apw points out above.

Quote:
That does bring up something I've been very curious about... Whether 6NF provides integrated phone functionality withOUT having to link the phone to the car via Bluetooth. I'm (obviously) hoping that is the case, but since nobody knows what this thing really does at this point it's pure speculation.
I have to agree with apw on this one I'm affraid. I thnk JSpira has confirmed this in one of his posts on the subject at some point.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 08:11 AM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I looked at your photos again, and compared it to my 08 base plate. I think I've spotted the difference. You base plate has two additional coaxial connector shown here. On the 08, these are simply plastic stubs.

I think this means ... that you might be able to still use the old iphone cradle in a 09 base plate ... however it would only give you charging and external antenna functionality. Not music functionality.
Thanks for your post apw. I am sort of surprised that so few people on the forum are as curious about this as you and I and a few others. I remember when 6FL was coming out - there were tons of threads filled with tons of posts on the subject. In contrast, no one seems to care about 6NF, probably because BMW has done such a poor job of marketing it, or even of making people aware it is available (since its not on the build-your-own site). Also, people probably figure that 6FL is good enough for them. However, the annoying error message that pops up with 3G+6FL is enough for me to want to seek a better solution.

As I've said a few times before, my big curiousity with this new option (and its hardware) is whether or not we pre-6NF (with 6FL) people can somehow use it in an unsupported fashion in order to get music playback in the cradle. Your post here makes me even more optimistic that this should be possible. I remain convinced that, with proper research, it should be possible to build a custom wiring harness with proper leads connected, such that the 6FL cable could be used to provide music playback from the phone while it is in the cradle. This won't be quite as cool as 6NF since we'll still need the 6FL cable, and won't have the USB port free for a second device. But this is a minor thing in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #13
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

You never know. maybe there will make a retrofit harness. i can't believe it would be that hard ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You never know. maybe there will make a retrofit harness. i can't believe it would be that hard ;-)
Could be. I know JSpira has said otherwise already though. But he might just be going by what he's been told with no specific knowledge of why it is.

If nothing else, I don't think it will be hard in a MY2009 since, in theory, they will have any new non-6NF specific hardware (audio/telcom/etc.), whatever that might be, that has changed from MY2008 that makes the addition of the 6NF hardware itself possible. For a MY2008, depending on any such differences, it might be either too difficult, too expensive, or both. For example, if you have to replace the whole radio in a MY2008, its probably not worth it. That's why I have been thinking about the possibility of a hack moreso than actually trying to retrofit it as a whole. But hopefully you are right, and we can just order the parts and hook it all up. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #15
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Could be. I know JSpira has said otherwise already though. But he might just be going by what he's been told with no specific knowledge of why it is.

If nothing else, I don't think it will be hard in a MY2009 since, in theory, they will have any new non-6NF specific hardware (audio/telcom/etc.), whatever that might be, that has changed from MY2008 that makes the addition of the 6NF hardware itself possible. For a MY2008, depending on any such differences, it might be either too difficult, too expensive, or both. For example, if you have to replace the whole radio in a MY2008, its probably not worth it. That's why I have been thinking about the possibility of a hack moreso than actually trying to retrofit it as a whole. But hopefully you are right, and we can just order the parts and hook it all up. Time will tell.
Has anyone looked further into this yet?

If one has 6FL installed and that 6NF is only a $150 option it does sound like there is not to much in it. More likely a different base plate (as pictured above) and a change in the wiring just underneath the base plate where it couples with the 6FL in the centre console.

I cannot see it being a major wiring harness all the way to the iDrive as the cost of $150 does not reflect this. Also to get 6NF you must have 6FL also which means this is the major component.

Has any looked under this new base plate to see the difference between the two? and how it wirers in?

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #16
e92socal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Has anyone looked further into this yet?

If one has 6FL installed and that 6NF is only a $150 option it does sound like there is not to much in it. More likely a different base plate (as pictured above) and a change in the wiring just underneath the base plate where it couples with the 6FL in the centre console.

I cannot see it being a major wiring harness all the way to the iDrive as the cost of $150 does not reflect this. Also to get 6NF you must have 6FL also which means this is the major component.

Has any looked under this new base plate to see the difference between the two? and how it wirers in?
Hmm I have just a small update on this, it looks like the "newer" base plate has 3 wires that my car doesn't have under the emergency brake. So it looks like it has the wiring for the antenna (smaller black plug with pink tab) and a larger black plug probably for charging. However the snap in adaptor has an extra blue connector which must be for the usb. Unfortunatly this is the plug my car doesn't have and I do have 6FL not 6NF. So now it really sounds like they didn't run a wire from the CIC ugh...I havn't found any forums that describe this though.
      03-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #17
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I thought that you not only needed the new base plate which has the extra blue wire (usb), but also another cable that joins this blue connector to the USB (6FL) and also carries the audio connection as well.

This cable I thought simply splices in the existing usb & audio that is in the middle compartment, which is already connected to the system.

If you install a USB stick into the 6FL it overrides the the usb connection of the base plate because it see's that connection first, the reason it that both are in parallel and will only accept one USB connection at a time.

Apparantly it says that in the manual, which means its only a small adapter cable.

Wonder if this cable can be seen on a wiring diagram at BMW spare parts?

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #18
e92socal
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought that you not only needed the new base plate which has the extra blue wire (usb), but also another cable that joins this blue connector to the USB (6FL) and also carries the audio connection as well.

This cable I thought simply splices in the existing usb & audio that is in the middle compartment, which is already connected to the system.

If you install a USB stick into the 6FL it overrides the the usb connection of the base plate because it see's that connection first, the reason it that both are in parallel and will only accept one USB connection at a time.

Apparantly it says that in the manual, which means its only a small adapter cable.

This sounds completely logical, I can't see much under the center console with the limited vision from the emergency brake. I didn't see any place where it could splice into the 6FL as an adapter, but a wiring diagram would help tremendously. The base plate is around $150 so I also can't imagine how it could be so much trouble if it was a factory option.
      03-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #19
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Agreed, I think the key is a small interconnect wiring cable from the new backing plate connecting parallel into the 6FL thats in the compartment box between the seats. For $150 the cost reflects it being something simply like new adaptor plate & a small cable?

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:

That tells you that there is something more than just wires between the 6NF and the 6FL. Either there is a USB priority circuit built into the 6NF plate, a new USB hub with priority swtching, a software update to the existing USB hub or a combination of all three upgrades in addition to the extra 10 wires required for the 6NF.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #21
e92socal
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That tells you that there is something more than just wires between the 6NF and the 6FL. Either there is a USB priority circuit built into the 6NF plate, a new USB hub with priority swtching, a software update to the existing USB hub or a combination of all three upgrades in addition to the extra 10 wires required for the 6NF.
That being said, shouldn't there be a part number for all of the above sans the software update? And if so why not the ability to retrofit. I understand this may sound like a lot just to get usb functionality but if it is a matter of a few parts to install, albeit behind the CIC or etc., I am willing to do it.
      03-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #22
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92socal View Post
That being said, shouldn't there be a part number for all of the above sans the software update? And if so why not the ability to retrofit. I understand this may sound like a lot just to get usb functionality but if it is a matter of a few parts to install, albeit behind the CIC or etc., I am willing to do it.
Just be like Nike then, Just do it!!!
Appreciate 0