BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

08-06-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
S38 TO S65
Rep
Drives: 92 BMW M5 and 66 Ford F100

New Member from Atlanta, hope its the right section

Hello everyone. I am a junior in high school from Atlanta and I am a soon to be (if 2010 counts LOL) E92 M3 owner. My love affair with BMW began when I was 4, watching my grandfather collect and work on BMW's. From Alpina to M, and others which were not in the performance downline. As time passed on, I began reading car magazines (mostly European) and hanging out at their house on the weekends. And this is where the sega is now. Currently, I drive a 92 M5 which has been in my family since new. Don't worry, I'm not one of those spoiled idiots that wreck their M's a week after they got them. I'm a hard working kid who runs his own lawn buisness in the summer and tree cutting buisness in the winter, which I use my 66 F100 for. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and if anyone has any questions about my cars or me, just post it. Now for my questions

1. I will be buying (if money comes in as it is now) a used 08 or 09 E92 M. Would you get the problematic 08 or get the debugged 09?

2. Do many of the E92's have any DCT launch issues?

3. How many of you guys auto-cross or track your E92 on a monthly bases? Are you loving the current set up or would you upgrade immediately suspension parts immediately? What would you install? (adjustable coilovers, sway bars, etc)

4. Which exterior color looks the best between Alpine White, Sparkling Graphite, or Interlagos Blue after normal track days or daily driving without a wash?

5. Which interior is the best between Fox Red, Speed Cloth, or Bamboo Beige?

6. Has anyone tried BBs LM-R's with red caps?

7. Does anyone know how to put the picture and quote in the signature? I want to set my engine bay as my sig
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S38 TO S65 View Post

1. I will be buying (if money comes in as it is now) a used 08 or 09 E92 M. Would you get the problematic 08 or get the debugged 09?
im not aware of any bugs. might miss the refreshed iDrive of 09, but that's about it. i dont think there are any real issues with 08 that are being worked on for 09.
boooooooooooooooo.... DCT hahah
there's been MDCT issues coz dealers dont know how to read instructions, but it just happened to a few members here. im also not aware of any "issues" that DCT has. maybe few annoyances, but i'd imagine those will be worked on for later release of MDCT
3. How many of you guys auto-cross or track your E92 on a monthly bases? Are you loving the current set up or would you upgrade immediately suspension parts immediately? What would you install? (adjustable coilovers, sway bars, etc)
there's quite a few threads about tracking experiences. people seem to love it stock.
4. Which exterior color looks the best between Alpine White, Sparkling Graphite, or Interlagos Blue after normal track days or daily driving without a wash?
AW to me looks best with the CF coz of the contrast, and the super clean look. problem is everyone has it
Interlagos is very nice color, and also clean.
sparkling eggplant has the gayest purple shine to it. i dislike that color
if ur getting a used one u might not have a choice. I love for Fox Red. everyone who's seen it in person absolutely love it. Beige might need more maintenance especially in a hot/humid area like GA
now we're talking
7. Does anyone know how to put the picture and quote in the signature? I want to set my engine bay as my sig
congrol panel, signature, upload the pic, then click "insert signature" or have the link to the picture from like photobucket and use the [ i m g ] tag
Hi!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Hi!!
      08-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
AW_M3
///M
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/FR Extended

Hi!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

I just wanted to thank you for being well spoken, modest and not an asshole. It seems that a lot of the younger forum goers fall well outside the above categories.

I'm actually interested in seeing the answers to most of your questions, but as far as the interior colors, that's a choice you'll have to make on your own. I'm caught between the Fox Red and the gray.

Unless I can find an exceptional deal on a new 09' 8-12 months from now, I too will be trying to decide between a used 08 and a used 09... Its really hard to ignore the money saving opportunities of going used.

Welcome to the forums.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
S38 TO S65
Rep

Thanks for the information ///Mantis. Yeah, afterlooking in the member photo/vids section and seeing SG, the color is a little brave to pull off. But, they had the Silverstone II, and it looks awsome, especially because of the blue hint of color. Also, thanks FifthStreetz for the welcome
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
S38 TO S65
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsilvor View Post
I just wanted to thank you for being well spoken, modest and not an asshole. It seems that a lot of the younger forum goers fall well outside the above categories.

I'm actually interested in seeing the answers to most of your questions, but as far as the interior colors, that's a choice you'll have to make on your own. I'm caught between the Fox Red and the gray.

Unless I can find an exceptional deal on a new 09' 8-12 months from now, I too will be trying to decide between a used 08 and a used 09... Its really hard to ignore the money saving opportunities of going used.

Welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the welcome as well man. Yeah, I was raised to be modest and not be an asshole unless someone deserves it from being stupid. Anyway, your stuck between the interior choice as well? Me to, with the addition of exterior choices. I don't like the Speed Cloth, so thats out. My M5 has Black Nappa leather with M-cloth. But, if a deal comes by, I'm definately going to hop on it, but I'm trying to wait for senior year, so prices can fall down a little. Good luck with your search
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Thanks for the information ///Mantis. Yeah, afterlooking in the member photo/vids section and seeing SG, the color is a little brave to pull off. But, they had the Silverstone II, and it looks awsome, especially because of the blue hint of color. Also, thanks FifthStreetz for the welcome
I would think SSII would hide dirt well. I ordered Interlagos but I know it's going to require constant cleaning to look good just because it's so dark. I saw SG in person and didn't like it either. After 7 years of have a beige interior in my Audi, I can tell you I'm going with black this time. Light interiors require a lot of maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Hello everyone. I am a junior in high school from Atlanta and I am a soon to be (if 2010 counts LOL) E92 M3 owner. My love affair with BMW began when I was 4, watching my grandfather collect and work on BMW's. From Alpina to M, and others which were not in the performance downline. As time passed on, I began reading car magazines (mostly European) and hanging out at their house on the weekends. And this is where the sega is now. Currently, I drive a 92 M5 which has been in my family since new. Don't worry, I'm not one of those spoiled idiots that wreck their M's a week after they got them. I'm a hard working kid who runs his own lawn buisness in the summer and tree cutting buisness in the winter, which I use my 66 F100 for. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and if anyone has any questions about my cars or me, just post it. Now for my questions

You are assuming a lot....1. that the 08 is "problematic", and 2. that the '09 won't be! lol. I would opt for the '09 as it will be "updated" a bit. Mechanically, I would expect very little difference, if any.

Not that I have heard of....

Can't comment yet as I am still under break-in mileage...but soon, I will hit the track and report. However, in all honesty, the car is going to be very capable in stock form...work on upgrading your knowledge first! No offense, but most will not even approach the cars capabilities until after several track days with instruction.

The more muted colors will hide dirt, etc. the best. SSII would be the best for that. After that, I would actually pick White, as although the darker colors may hide dirt better, in the long run, every paint imperfection will show easier.

Given those choices, I would choose Speed Cloth! lol. I have black interior, whihc shows all sorts of specs/dirt, etc. BUT, in my experience, it will look better in 5 years than Beige or Grey (dunno about Red).

Dunno.

Go to User CP at the top and then select edit signature on the left. You can upload an image I believe....

Welcome to the board!
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
S38 TO S65
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
I would think SSII would hide dirt well. I ordered Interlagos but I know it's going to require constant cleaning to look good just because it's so dark. I saw SG in person and didn't like it either. After 7 years of have a beige interior in my Audi, I can tell you I'm going with black this time. Light interiors require a lot of maintenance.
Interlagos..... one of the most beautiful colors ever. I know a guy with a E46 in IB with BBS LM's with red caps and OEM CSL parts. He's on the M3forums, IMPORTEDCSL is his user name I think.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #11
S38 TO S65
Rep

Thanks for the info GT3 Tim I definately will be going to at least 5 track days before bringing out the full potenial of my vehical. Thats what I did with the M5. But, SS II is now my number 1 choice for the exterior color
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Hmm, in Atlanta I would assume they don't salt the roads that much, but I could be wrong... in any case - its true that dark colors will hide the dirt, brake dust, etc more than the light colors, but if you're anywhere with heavy pollen (I can remember waking up after washing my car and it being yellow) the dark paint might make you want to kill yourself

I have my heart set on AW with Fox Red, but the better the price, the more willing I am to concede to a mixture of JB, AW, Fox Red and the gray... IB is gorgeous, but I don't like the way it looks with darker windows, which I like to think I need with the heat up here.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #13
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

Welcome to the board.

I'm not trying to be wise, but since you have some time to wait, I recommend that you spend some time using .

All of your questions have already been answered.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
S38 TO S65
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Welcome to the board.

I'm not trying to be wise, but since you have some time to wait, I recommend that you spend some time using .

All of your questions have already been answered.
Thanks for the welcome. Also, some of my questions have been answered by the search button after creating this thread. But, thanks for telling me

To Xsilvor, their isn't much road salt, but durring pollen season Its so much I don't even bother washing either one of my cars, and my f100 is black. IB is beautiful, but it's either no tint, or the second to lightest you can find
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #15
Kadarin
Ambassador of Crunk
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG/blk '08 E92 M3

Quote:
I don't think I've seen this yet on the e92 M3, but on the regular e90post board (non-M3), I believe there are photos of e92 335i cars with this setup.

And welcome
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #16
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
welcome

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #17
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Since you're a young guy I'll share something with you from my own experiences. I bought my Audi S4 brand new fresh out of college. It was my first full time job, I figured I made enough money to spend some decent cash on a nice car. I never had any problems making payments on the car but looking back, I wish I wouldn've saved my money and waited to buy an expensive car. I should have done the smart thing like saved, start investment accounts, save for a house, etc. until I decided to buy a car.

Now that I have been at my job for awhile, I've established an investment portfolio and done all the stuff I wish I had done before, I realize I've spent the last few years playing catch up for all those years I lost because of paying for that nice car I bought.

Just some food for thought since you have a few years to think about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #18
S38 TO S65
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
Since you're a young guy I'll share something with you from my own experiences. I bought my Audi S4 brand new fresh out of college. It was my first full time job, I figured I made enough money to spend some decent cash on a nice car. I never had any problems making payments on the car but looking back, I wish I wouldn've saved my money and waited to buy an expensive car. I should have done the smart thing like saved, start investment accounts, save for a house, etc. until I decided to buy a car.

Now that I have been at my job for awhile, I've established an investment portfolio and done all the stuff I wish I had done before, I realize I've spent the last few years playing catch up for all those years I lost because of paying for that nice car I bought.

Just some food for thought since you have a few years to think about it.

Thanks alot for sharing your experiance, seriously. I've got some deep investing ideas that I am looking more into now.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #19
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Welcome bud!
      08-06-2008, 11:57 PM   #20
M3 LUST
Banned
Rep
Drives: -

What part of Atlanta are you from?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 12:47 AM   #21
Xelloss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

Welcome to the forum man! Immediately reading that you were a junior in high school, I assumed the stereotypes but those were quickly silenced from further reading your post. You remind me of myself 5 years ago when I was a high school senior and I bought my E46 M3 with my own earned money via hard work and investing early as well as some financial assistance from my parents as a graduation gift. I have also been following BMW since I was 5 when I saw an E30 M3. I want to transition to the E92 but college has made my bank account a little dry and I still enjoy my E46 M3. The fun only gets better as you go up as I drove my friend's E36 M3 when he let me before I stepped up to my E46 M3. Your experience will definitely be a step up. Although, I can say though that the most important thing at your age or any age is to be fiscally responsible. I sheltered the majority of the costs, but I could have covered it even without my parents help and would still be financially healthy. Whatever you do, be wise and drive safe as always.

"I feel the need...

...the need for speed!"
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #22
S38 TO S65
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 LUST View Post
What part of Atlanta are you from?
I'm down in Fayette county. What about you my friend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelloss View Post
Welcome to the forum man! Immediately reading that you were a junior in high school, I assumed the stereotypes but those were quickly silenced from further reading your post. You remind me of myself 5 years ago when I was a high school senior and I bought my E46 M3 with my own earned money via hard work and investing early as well as some financial assistance from my parents as a graduation gift. I have also been following BMW since I was 5 when I saw an E30 M3. I want to transition to the E92 but college has made my bank account a little dry and I still enjoy my E46 M3. The fun only gets better as you go up as I drove my friend's E36 M3 when he let me before I stepped up to my E46 M3. Your experience will definitely be a step up. Although, I can say though that the most important thing at your age or any age is to be fiscally responsible. I sheltered the majority of the costs, but I could have covered it even without my parents help and would still be financially healthy. Whatever you do, be wise and drive safe as always.
Thanks for sharing your experiance. Yeah, my parents said they would help me out with the purchase of the car. Their paying about 25% of what it will cost and I have 75% to get although I'm very close to it as we speak, or type. I'm going to get the car before prom of 2010, so I am trying to find the exact color combo I want, unless a legit steal comes my way. But until then, I'm just picturing myself in one of the board members E92's LOL. But, I'm definately planning to go to a couple of track days or driving schools to learn how to properly drive the E92, just like I did with the M5. So, your not going to hear about me being in an accident because I lost control of a car. Safety first man
Appreciate 0