BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Myuran
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

My Evolve E-Tronic exhaust, x-pipe and stage 2 remap review

Hi guys, I own an E92 AW E92 M3. Here is what she looks like atm:

I've had an Evolve E-tronic exhaust and x-pipe fitted three weeks ago and below is a review.

My experience with the stock car

The car felt underwhelming and slow to drive. It certainly wasn't as thrilling or as exciting as my E46 M3 - dare I say boring! Even though the V8 rumble is such an intoxicating sound, the exhaust note is virtually non existent. I had little blast through a tunnel, and was appalled that the wind noise overshadowed the exhaust. That was the final nail in the coffin and I knew I had to do something regarding the performance and the sound of the car.

Why I decided to go to Evolve

Evolve tuned my previous M3 and I along with many others feel that they are the best BMW tuners in the country. I liked the fact that Evolve sat me down and showed me how he changes the parameters in a map and took time out to answer and explain the queries I had.

Why I chose the E-Tronic exhaust + x-pipe

After many hours of research reading though many threads and watching many videos on YouTube I made the decision to buy the E-Tronic exhaust with the x-pipe. I really enjoyed reading and learning about how they developed and tested their exhaust: http://www.evolveautomotive.com/arti...t-information/

I liked the fact it's the only valve exhaust out there that retains power on both quiet and loud settings.

Before I pulled the trigger on my purchase, I had to hear the exhaust in person, so made a trip to Evolve. Once I got there, I was able to have a look at the craftsmanship and build quality of the exhaust. The standard of the welding was amazing. I wouldn't expect anything less from Evolve. One of the plus points is that the exhaust has adjustable tail pipes, so future updates for tail pipes is an option and if I was to add a diffuser, I would be able to pull out the tail pipes.

I was then taken out in Evolve's car and heard the exhaust in person. I knew straight away that this was the exhaust I wanted!

My experience of the exhaust

So the next morning, my car was booked in to have the exhaust and x-pipe fitted along with a stage 2 remap. Once the exhaust and x-pipe were fitted, I went out for a drive without any mapping. Right away the car felt more powerful throughout the whole rev range, so I was looking forward to how it would feel once its been mapped!

Now on to the noise! Words cannot describe how breathtaking the noise is on the loud setting. The car sounds like an evil possessed beast. To say I'm pleased is a massive understatement. On the quiet setting the car is still louder than stock, however it has a more exotic note and I have to say I was genuinely surprised at how nice it sounded. My initial intention was to drive the car only on the loud setting, but the quiet section has it's own unique twist and I have been driving on the quiet mode frequently.

Essentially I had 2 different exhaust, both with their own unique note. I couldn't have been happier with my decision.

Changing between either setting is simple using a wireless remote and the valve system is robust.

Here is a video showing the difference between the quiet and loud settings:

On to the tuning

Once the tuning was done, I went out for another drive. Again you can tell the difference in performance straight away. There was a lot more low down grunt, the car pulled harder and sounded better. The noise from the BMW filter was more pronounced too.

Here are the dyno graphs showing the gains:

Conclusion

I cannot thank the boys at Evolve enough for looking after me and my car. Everything I hated about the car has been rectified and it's all down to them. The car is much quicker and sounds like a race car! I just love it!

A few days ago, I also bought an Evolve supercharger as I just couldn't say no to more power.

Teaser pic of the plenum:

Below are more videos. I apologise for the poor quality as they were taking on an iPhone.

Thanks for reading guys! I hope this review will be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Very nice Wish I had the money for that.
But I think a OEM modded box, with straight pipe, zero cats or resonators sounded very similar to that - especially the tone characteristic. And way loud, all the time that is. So the Evolve at least you can choose to quieten it down.
      07-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
congrats.. Imran was telling me about your car. Very jealous of your new setup!

Quote:
Essentially I had 2 different exhaust, both with their own unique note. I couldn't have been happier with my decision.

Changing between either setting is simple using a wireless remote and the valve system is robust.
I agree with you, with the tune and exhaust the car is a TOTAL different animal! Not only does the tune making driving the car a pleasure, but the exhaust note is so pleasant to the ear that it is VERY hard to describe.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
Longwong
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 catless

Man if I had a tunnel like that I would be there everyday! I agree the exhaust is ridiculously underwhelming and even through tunnels when stock it was barely anything you could hear.

But it just seems like you bought the wrong car. If it was so underwhelming right off the bat than what draws you to this car? To immediately slap a supercharger on. I don't know but anyway sounds great
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post
Man if I had a tunnel like that I would be there everyday! I agree the exhaust is ridiculously underwhelming and even through tunnels when stock it was barely anything you could hear.

But it just seems like you bought the wrong car. If it was so underwhelming right off the bat than what draws you to this car? To immediately slap a supercharger on. I don't know but anyway sounds great
He likes to go fast in a straight line and complained from day 1 it was too slow.
Spoke about a 911 turbo instead but wanted a fast M3.

Our kit is really being purchased by those who want the same thing as the stock car but more. Anyone who has driven our cars has always come back and said it feels just like stock, just a lot more equally everywhere. It doesn't run hot, it remains consistent too.

I do see and respect your point though.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
He likes to go fast in a straight line and complained from day 1 it was too slow.
Spoke about a 911 turbo instead but wanted a fast M3.

Our kit is really being purchased by those who want the same thing as the stock car but more. Anyone who has driven our cars has always come back and said it feels just like stock, just a lot more equally everywhere. It doesn't run hot, it remains consistent too.

I do see and respect your point though.
Power of a turbo v-8 in the form of a stock car
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Great review and amazing videos. I can't get over how clean, classy, yet aggressive the full Evolve E-Tronic sounds.

I can't wait to find free time to install my Evolve XPipe and Stage 2 Tune!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
Myuran
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Very nice Wish I had the money for that.
But I think a OEM modded box, with straight pipe, zero cats or resonators sounded very similar to that - especially the tone characteristic. And way loud, all the time that is. So the Evolve at least you can choose to quieten it down.
Thanks mate. I have to say the exhaust differs quite a bit from the OEM mod in real life. An iPhone 4s doesn't capture the note well unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
congrats.. Imran was telling me about your car. Very jealous of your new setup!

I agree with you, with the tune and exhaust the car is a TOTAL different animal! Not only does the tune making driving the car a pleasure, but the exhaust note is so pleasant to the ear that it is VERY hard to describe.
Thanks mate, I can't wait to see what difference the supercharger will make to the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post

Haha, I have to say I absolutely love going through tunnels. Always windows and down and gunning it!

I feel the E9x M3 is the best all rounder for what I am after. I needed a fast car with 2 back seats that looks the part too. The M3 was my perfect every day car.

The charger just satisfies my thirst for more power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Great review and amazing videos. I can't get over how clean, classy, yet aggressive the full Evolve E-Tronic sounds.

Cheers mate, I'm sure you will love the gains and extra noise
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Imran@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post

Hurry up man!
Appreciate 0