BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Fault Code 2776 DMTL Pump

I recently received a check engine light, and pulled the fault code 2776. I searched the forum and did not find any info related to the 2776 code, so I thought I'd share what I found, and the fix. The 2776 code on an E9x platform is a faulty DMTL pump. Attached below is the link to the TIS that explains this code and several other codes related to the fuel tank leak diagnostic module. Although the TIS is for the E46 M3, I believe the codes for the E9x are the same.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/2wiYkIx

To replace the DMTL pump, remove the plastic trim located on the bottom of the car directly behind the rear driver side wheel. There are six 8mm bolts that secure the plastic trim. One of the bolts is located within a deep recess in the middle of the trim, so you will need a 6-8" extension. You may need to bend back the aluminum heat shield near the exhaust in order to remove the trim. Don't worry, the heat shield bends right back into place when reinstalling the trim.

Once the trim is removed, you will see the pump attached to the activated carbon fuel vapor canister. You will need to remove the two plastic hoses that attach to the canister. Squeeze the clips that lock the hoses to the canister and pull firmly on the hose, being careful not to break the hoses. Next, unplug the wire connected to the pump. Pinch the connection (top-to-bottom) to release the wire. A third plastic hose runs to the DMTL pump, but I was not able to access this without removing the canister. There are two 10mm bolts that hold the canister in place. Remove the bolts and wiggle the canister free, keeping in mind that the hose is still connected to the DMTL pump. You can lower and rotate the canister to gain access to the third hose. Remove the hose in the same manner as the first two hoses. At this point you can completely remove the canister with the pump attached. The pump is attached to the canister with three T-20 torx bolts. Remove the bolts and wiggle the pump free from the canister. Once removed, you will notice a rubber grommet/seal attached to the pump where it plugs into the canister, remove the rubber seal and install it on the new pump. Put everything back together in reverse order. Just make sure that all of the hoses "click" into place when reinstalling.

Once buttoned-up, you will need to clear the code to remove the check engine light. It does not appear to clear by itself.

This should take about 30-40 minutes and if you don't mind rolling around on the ground, there's no need to put the car on a lift. On a scale of 1 to 10 (in terms of difficulty) this is about a 3.

BTW, there's a 2776 code on some older BMWs related to the automatic transmission's upshift switch. Don't let the dealership replace your transmission if you get this code!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
Shaan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 / '14 Tundra

just had my DMTL pump changed out as well. hope this fixes the issues i was having.
Appreciate 0