BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
martieg
Texas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i Black Sph PP/SP/NV/MTk

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
How to solve traffic problem?

Unfortunately not all countries are as lucky as the US to have plenty of space for growth - we complain of traffic problems in many US cities, however these problems pale in comparison with other countries' traffic problems.

Many cities in Latin America and more particularly in Asia are experiencing exponential growth but with that a horrible traffic situation. The poor city planning (or lack of anticipation of the rapid growth) has caused huge traffic problems, to the point that it takes 1 hour or more to drive relatively short distances.

I just visited Singapore and saw a 5 million plus city that has almost no traffic problems. How did they achieve this?

1. Creating an alternative to driving - a super efficient and safe public transportation method: the Rapid Mass Transit system (MRT), which is a subway.

2. Restricting the number of permits for owning a car. These COE's (Certificates of Entitlement) are sort of auctioned making the cost of owning a Toyota Corolla almost $100,000!!

3. Dynamic and advanced toll system that restricts access to heavier traffic areas (i.e. Downtown) at peak times

4. High tech solutions to making traffic easier (i.e. Smart parking, smart traffic lights, etc)

I just read that Beijing will start restricting new cars beginning next year. They have serious traffic and pollution problems there!

Do you have any other examples or solutions for improving traffic in our cities? I'm so lucky to live in a city in the US with wide roads and not so bad traffic, and access to cheap cars and cheap gas (when compared to other countries).
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
Want
YVR
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Monaco Blue

Get rid of poor people. Problem solved!

J/k
      12-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I dont have a traffic problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

jetpack
      12-24-2010, 01:04 AM   #5
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

i think for americans, driving is a right. as long as it's that, aka forever, you won't be able to reduce the number of cars on the road. conversely, in densely populated cities, there is usually only limited space to grow without claiming imminent domain to mow everything down for a 10-lane highway. i like the way london does it...with congestion charges (tolls for city center driving) and a highly developed public transit system. now, the shift has to take place in the culture for it to ever be like that in all our metropolitan cities. personally, i'd love to see a fully developed public transit system here, but there is too much ground to cover. that's why cars are essential. catch-22 really.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Simple .....Shoot anyone who drives below 50 MPH on the left lane on freeways. Leave that lane to good drivers who have the right ride and skills to haul ass.

Like Germans do.

.....Well, except the shooting part
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

I like to sit on my balcony and watch people wreck them selves on the highway. Pretty much every day during rush hour.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Equip cars with rocket launchers, broadcast rush hour on national tv pay-per-view, spend profits on subways, buses cocaine and hookers and you're golden.
      12-24-2010, 01:49 AM   #9
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I like to sit on my balcony and watch people wreck them selves on the highway. Pretty much every day during rush hour.
you must video that shit!!! I would die to see sum dumb shit like that.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 02:00 AM   #10
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
you must video that shit!!! I would die to see sum dumb shit like that.
He has already...

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

The thing is, they aren't traffic accidents. Most of these people somehow wreck themselves without touching another car. I've seen everything from random 360s to cars launching them selves into oncoming traffic and one car even managed to explode. I did take pictures of the burning car. I wish I had a zoom lens. I bet the lady sitting there watching had an epic look on her face.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
martieg
Texas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i Black Sph PP/SP/NV/MTk

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
He has already...

Ha ha - i dont want to drive in Russia anymore
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #13
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

no solution until we have commercial flying car for under 20k.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #14
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
no solution until we have commercial flying car for under 20k.
So never.

The FAA/US goverment will never allow this... You think there are retards driving now, imagine some fucking ditzy blonde texting or putting on makeup while flying a fucking car into the side of a building.

*edit*
Or some FOB immigrant in a *cough* white lexus looking airplane *cough* just merging without looking..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep

Garage List
Speaking of bad drivers and crashes ...I just read on AAA's web site an article called, "Driving Ourselves to Death? Why—and how—we must change our traffic safety culture" about a staggering number of traffic fatalities on US roads. This year has been the lowest it's ever been but still the number is pretty high. Among the highlights :

- Traffic fatalities have dropped by 50 percent since 1995 in other developed countries, but by only 19 percent in the United States.

- Automobile crashes are the leading cause of death in the U.S. for people ages 1–34; half of Americans say they’ve been in a serious crash or have had a friend or relative injured or killed in a crash.

- Approximately 100 people die each day on U roads—about the number of passengers on a medium-size commercial airliner. This translates to one death very 15 minutes!

The article also talks about causes for this high number and suggest remedies to prevent it. You may not agree with all of them but I thought it was an interesting article.

If interested, here's the link : http://www.calif.aaa.com/westways/20...-to-death.aspx
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
a good start would be more toll roads and they must be equipped with the electronic ez pass pay feature. no actual handling of money at all to not cause more congestion. nothing crazy but even a 1 or 2 to get on highways or use high traffic roads during restricted hours. the road depends on the rate you are charged etc.

then every last penny of that money must go back into roads or building alternative transportation methods. and strict laws must be in place so no bitch ass governors or public officials can use the money for anything else.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 05:02 AM   #17
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

just don't let women drive, half the drivers, half the traffic. so simple.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #18
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
this is the best idea so far. we should also take away their ability to vote. women are only entitled to have an opinion because we told them it was ok, and they're not even grateful to us for that. i'm not sure why we did that to begin with, but now that we know it doesn't work, we should go back to letting men run things. ladies, it didn't work, now get out of the voting booth and back into the kitchen where you belong.

also, i believe when a woman behaves well, she deserves a good smack on the ass to let her know that you love her and think she's pretty. conversely, when a woman gets hysterical, a good quick smack across the face is what's called for. women tend to get too caught up in their own emotions to think clearly sometimes, and a good quick smack is a great way to bring them back down to earth.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #19
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

i almost forgot: scotland forever.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 03:50 AM   #20
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
Bump for the best solution yet to traffic problems across the world.

12-31-2010, 05:36 AM   #21
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
this is the best idea so far. we should also take away their ability to vote. women are only entitled to have an opinion because we told them it was ok, and they're not even grateful to us for that. i'm not sure why we did that to begin with, but now that we know it doesn't work, we should go back to letting men run things. ladies, it didn't work, now get out of the voting booth and back into the kitchen where you belong.

also, i believe when a woman behaves well, she deserves a good smack on the ass to let her know that you love her and think she's pretty. conversely, when a woman gets hysterical, a good quick smack across the face is what's called for. women tend to get too caught up in their own emotions to think clearly sometimes, and a good quick smack is a great way to bring them back down to earth.

There were so many great points made in just two paragraphs...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #22
GEN-INC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 735i

Ain't gonna happen here anyway! People are just plain too retarded to operate a vehicle here. Look at Europe, it's a prime example of people driving with a functioning brain!

I think the main problem though is that people here for the most part, just simply don't give a fuck about each other. Everyone is selfish, greedy and too ignorant to even think about somebody else. Everyone's gotta be first, the richest etc...

Sorry for the rant, but this is what I realized for the most part after coming here from Europe. Sometimes I would seriously like to just kill half the drivers on the roads here.

Here is a good example of what is possible when people take care of not only themselves and look out for each other.

http://wimp.com/trafficlights/
Appreciate 0