BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #441
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
Was I impolite or dismissive to anyone in my earlier posts that warranted an unpleasant nature of reply?

Further, lets say for the sake of argument that with new bearings, fresh oil and normal operating temperatures, all is good with extra clearance bearings.
That in no way guarantees that once the coating wears off creating even further clearance and at elevated oil temps that this will remain the case.
Should no one care about possible unintended consequences and any suggestion of it should be firmly discouraged?
Instead of asking broad "what if" questions in a pedantic manner, why don't you present a calculation of said scenario using worst case assumptions of the variables you're questioning. Calculate the clearances of OEM, BE, and a bearing with worn coatings or whatever. Then calculate the mass flow rate of oil through those bearings in each scenario. Then calculate the percentage increase in flow as a result of each.

The reason most get frustrated with your questioning here is you present ill-constructed theories as fact or reason for fear and then when a logical, mathematically provable reason is presented, you ignore it and then move on to the next question. As it is you present yourself as someone who either craves to be spoon-fed information you're not willing to learn on your own or seeking attention in whatever means. I think most of us are inclined to believe the latter based on the replies to your posts which you choose to respond to.
Appreciate 3
      01-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #442
notouching
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Since making the bearings isn't financially feasible (clearly), would modifying stock ones in a controlled manner be? I could see the need for jigs to hold the bearings and then the appropriate sized boring tool(s) and then possibly coating them as a path forward.

However, I recognize that this is easier typed from my recliner than actually designed and completed by skilled people such as yourself.

Regardless, I've installed 3 sets of BE bearings so that's 3 S65 owners (me being one of those) that only have to worry about their mains now.
Interested in this as well. Anyone know if this would be doable?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 11:14 PM   #443
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
Instead of asking broad "what if" questions in a pedantic manner, why don't you present a calculation of said scenario using worst case assumptions of the variables you're questioning. Calculate the clearances of OEM, BE, and a bearing with worn coatings or whatever. Then calculate the mass flow rate of oil through those bearings in each scenario. Then calculate the percentage increase in flow as a result of each.

The reason most get frustrated with your questioning here is you present ill-constructed theories as fact or reason for fear and then when a logical, mathematically provable reason is presented, you ignore it and then move on to the next question. As it is you present yourself as someone who either craves to be spoon-fed information you're not willing to learn on your own or seeking attention in whatever means. I think most of us are inclined to believe the latter based on the replies to your posts which you choose to respond to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notouching View Post
Interested in this as well. Anyone know if this would be doable?
A bearing isn't perfectly round inside. It's slightly oval shaped to help push the oil around it. If you stick a hone to it, you'll make it perfectly round...and you don't want that.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2018, 04:17 AM   #444
Sneaky Pete
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M car

Quote:
Instead of asking broad "what if" questions in a pedantic manner, why don't you present a calculation of said scenario using worst case assumptions of the variables you're questioning.
Oh please...its self evident that you can't keep increasing bearing clearance (by design and/or wear) without risk or consequence.
Or maybe it isn't when you have a vested interest.
Anyway no need to fret...I'm sure new, previously unseen, data from BE will be along any minute to demonstrate there is nothing to worry about and everyone can sleep safely at night.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 05:17 AM   #445
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh please...its self evident that you can't keep increasing bearing clearance (by design and/or wear) without risk or consequence.
Or maybe it isn't when you have a vested interest.
Anyway no need to fret...I'm sure new, previously unseen, data from BE will be along any minute to demonstrate there is nothing to worry about and everyone can sleep safely at night.
I'll take that as a "no, I'll keep being pedantic".

Correct. If you used a bearing with 8.75" of oil clearance, it might be problematic. That why we math.

Additionally, if you actually understand how things work and can read graphs properly, the answer to your latest question is already there as well.

If your'e pointing the "vested interest finger" at me, it actually works the opposite. I make way more money on spun bearing rebuilds than I do selling a set of bearings and/or changing them out.

Last edited by jcolley; 01-10-2018 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2018, 09:45 AM   #446
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

After all the back and forth I am wondering two things:

1) What connecting rod and main bearing clearance specifications are being used by reputable stroker builders (e.g., RD Sport, Dinan, etc.)? If they have a larger clearance than OEM clearances and are using the stock oil pump with no ill effect (I've not heard of any such strokers suffering bearing failure), does that not contradict the argument that some additional clearance can be detrimental to the main bearings?

2) I wonder if the connecting rod wear that is being shown on bearing samples can also be a factor of piston and connecting rod mass. In other words, are the pistons and connecting rods too heavy for the relatively high RPM nature of this engine? It is my understanding that stroker builds generally use lighter weight connecting rods and pistons.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #447
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
After all the back and forth I am wondering two things:

1) What connecting rod and main bearing clearance specifications are being used by reputable stroker builders (e.g., RD Sport, Dinan, etc.)? If they have a larger clearance than OEM clearances and are using the stock oil pump with no ill effect (I've not heard of any such strokers suffering bearing failure), does that not contradict the argument that some additional clearance can be detrimental to the main bearings?

2) I wonder if the connecting rod wear that is being shown on bearing samples can also be a factor of piston and connecting rod mass. In other words, are the pistons and connecting rods too heavy for the relatively high RPM nature of this engine? It is my understanding that stroker builds generally use lighter weight connecting rods and pistons.

I can answer the first one directly. I have had a couple of billet cranks made and waiting on an another now from the same crank shop that Dinan uses. In fact, one of the ones that I purchased from them initially was excess inventory from a Dinan production batch. Yes, those crank main journals are the same size as OEM and yes the rod journals are about .0005" smaller in diameter than OEM.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #448
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
That is so wrong.

I wish there was a way to filter posts from people who choose to argue just for the sake of arguing. You never back up anything you say with fact AND you spout nonsense such as the above. It truly does detract from what could be a great discussion.

Welcome to Monday I guess.
User CP - edit ignore list
      01-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #449
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I can answer the first one directly. I have had a couple of billet cranks made and waiting on an another now from the same crank shop that Dinan uses. In fact, one of the ones that I purchased from them initially was excess inventory from a Dinan production batch. Yes, those crank main journals are the same size as OEM and yes the rod journals are about .0005" smaller in diameter than OEM.
So it would seem that while the discussion about the oil pump's capacity and increased flow through the rod bearings is fascinating, it is primarily academic.

Do they use OEM rod bearings or something else?

And I'm still wondering about the piston/conn rod mass. Hopefully someone can chime in on that.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #450
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Since making the bearings isn't financially feasible (clearly), would modifying stock ones in a controlled manner be? I could see the need for jigs to hold the bearings and then the appropriate sized boring tool(s) and then possibly coating them as a path forward.

However, I recognize that this is easier typed from my recliner than actually designed and completed by skilled people such as yourself.

Regardless, I've installed 3 sets of BE bearings so that's 3 S65 owners (me being one of those) that only have to worry about their mains now.
Just not feasible, that would change the eccentricity of the shells.
      01-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #451
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
Just not feasible, that would change the eccentricity of the shells.
Understood. Forgot about that little tidbit.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #452
McSwine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

These bearing threads make my head hurt.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #453
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSwine View Post
These bearing threads make my head hurt.
As long as they leave your wallet alone, you're good.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #454
McSwine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
As long as they leave your wallet alone, you're good.
My wallet's good...I ain't skeered. Odds are most of our cars are fine and I'm not going to worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 07:13 AM   #455
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Guys spend 2k to clear bra their cars these days. Whats $2500 for peace of mind with your engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #456
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
For the technical experts here, does the substantial increase in flow bear any fruit for the main bearings? Said another way, if there is less restriction and increased flow downstream of the mains, does that mean that the mains also get increased flow?

If my questions is nonsensical, feel free to correct my (mis) understanding of the oil flow (flow, pressure, or direction).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #457
deansbimmer
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Since the oil feeding the rods goes through the mains first, yes the mains see the increased flow.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #458
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Since the oil feeding the rods goes through the mains first, yes the mains see the increased flow.
That's what I thought. Can that be of benefit given the comments regarding the mains? Or does the increased flow have to be engineered in a certain way?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #459
deansbimmer
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by serranot View Post
That's what I thought. Can that be of benefit given the comments regarding the mains? Or does the increased flow have to be engineered in a certain way?
Most mains suffer from the same underlying issue of low clearances that the rods do. Increased flow won't do much to help that.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #460
Sneaky Pete
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's an interesting concept...you'd not rather go with the idea that to increase oil flow through the main bearings you would require more oil pressure, all else remaining equal?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #461
deansbimmer
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
That's an interesting concept...you'd not rather go with the idea that to increase oil flow through the main bearings you would require more oil pressure, all else remaining equal?
It's not an idea. Refer to the extensive test data shown in this thread. The data are from BE bearings (increased clearance) being installed on an otherwise stock bottom end and shows almost double the oil flow with that combination.
Appreciate 1
UPSROD945.50
      01-18-2018, 03:05 AM   #462
Sneaky Pete
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's not an idea. Refer to the extensive test data shown in this thread. The data are from BE bearings (increased clearance) being installed on an otherwise stock bottom end and shows almost double the oil flow with that combination.
AIUI
The ~doubling of oil flow measured, is essentially all flowing through the extra clearance rod bearings....as the oil will always take the path of least resistance.
As long as the oil pump remains capable of presenting oil to the main bearings at the same oil pressure (before and after the RB change) then the flow through them should remain unchanged.
Appreciate 0