BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #23
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
And for 1/15th its price I can get a ZR1 that will blow the doors off the Veyron. So what exactly is your point? If you're coming at it from a value perspective, you're way off. The Veyron sells itself as a supercar and charges the most premium of price tags, yet gets smoked by cars costing mere fractions of its price.
i never mentioned value, i was simply disproving your 'handles like shit' comment.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #24
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
I'm not saying it's a POS in the traditional sense, but for the price you'd pay for one, all you're getting is speed and exclusivity. There are a crapload of cars that perform better, look better, sound better, are more fun... all while being considerably cheaper. The Veyron's one strong point, it's astonishing speed, is lost to everyone except a few wealthy Germans who travel the autobahn and a few sheiks who don't give a shit about breaking laws because they run the place. What good is paying $1.5 mil for a car that you'll barely get to wring out to 100, muchless 260 or whatever it is.
And yet this applies to every exotic out there. You can buy a GTR instead of a Gallardo. You can buy an SL65 instead of an SLR. You can buy a ZR1 instead of a 599. That's a moot point.

Those cars all have ridiculous performance, yet they're still handicapped by the same low limits. Why does the Veyron get singled-out here?

It also apparently handles very well, with weight being the one limiting factor. It was insanely fast on the Ring (thanks JH), and on the Top Gear test track (I was expecting it to be slow), only second to the Caterham.

There's the point of diminishing returns, and it starts around $75k in the automotive world.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #25
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And for 1/15th its price I can get a ZR1 that will blow the doors off the Veyron. So what exactly is your point? If you're coming at it from a value perspective, you're way off. The Veyron sells itself as a supercar and charges the most premium of price tags, yet gets smoked by cars costing mere fractions of its price.
The point of a supercar: bragging rights, flashiness, make up for lack of a dick, horrible value.

And a ZR1 will only "blow its doors off" on a tight road course. Any power track and it'll dominate the ZR1.

Obviously straightline stats are a joke to compare here too.
2.5s vs 3.4s to 60 (useless stat imo)
10.5 @ 140 vs 11.3 @ 130

Big difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #26
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
have fun with your ZR1. ill buy an Ariel Atom for $70k and shit on you in every category of performance. there will always be a faster, cheaper car. however, that doesnt make the more expensive ones which perform 'less' undeserving of praise and recognition.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #27
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

The Veyron, simply put, is a treasure of engineering. For what the car has to offer, it really differentiates itself from the competition in many ways.

It has over 1000 hp running through a dual clutch transmission that an infant could operate for starters...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #28
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

If I really owned one, I wonder how long it would take for me to be bored with its straight line speed. I know it is immensely fast, but straight line speed is about its only claim to fame.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #29
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post
If I really owned one, I wonder how long it would take for me to be bored with its straight line speed. I know it is immensely fast, but straight line speed is about its only claim to fame.
As soon as you got used to the speed you would probably get careless and wreck it. That's actually what I seriously think would happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #30
Jammin Jason
We run LA
Ras al-Khaimah
Rep
Drives: Slow E90

Garage List
06 E90  [0.00]
a veyron is only a car with 3 superchargers and a couple turbos and may be even more.

slap those elements into a car and you got yourself a veyron. (=
      02-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #31
Jimmeh
Major General
Rep
Drives: Ms. Daisy

Quote:
Says the guido who can't afford an M3
Tee hee....im not gonna to acknowledge that....troll
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #32
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
261mph, just enough to one-up the SSC's 257mph.

Yep...once someone actually does it and gets it clocked.

Of course, the SSC guys have already said they can go faster, so it probably wouldn't take them very long to put together another run to drum up some press.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #33
slipknot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: omega 2.5

thats crazy....thats 350hp more.... thats almost as powerful as M3.... Jesus.....with that said that thing will go over 420...some 440 I guess
      02-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #34
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

I want to meet the person who has done 261mph on real roads and lived to tell about it. I love the Supercars and basically anything that goes fast, but there are times when I have felt that my bone stock 335 is a tad extreme
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #35
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

And just think....

In the year 2020, they will have a Bugatti that can achieve 300mph!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #36
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Guys do you not realise that this guy Markoni is only trying to pull your chain (and doing a bloody good job of it).

It's simply absurd to think that the Veyron isn't a technical marvel. No car (I MEAN NO CAR) has had so much engineering development put into it, the comment from JC that each cost VW over 5 million euros each is not a joke. Look at the gearbox as an example, not only does it handle over 1000Nm of torque but it's a DRY clutch system, to put that into perspective, the only other dry clutch DCT currently on sale is the 7sp DSG that's also built by VW and it can only handle a quarter of the torque the Veyron's can.

Next is the heat the engine produces, maybe some others might confirm this figure if right but I think an engine that produces 1000hp is actually producing 3000kw of heat. Now that is an incredible figure to try and get rid of from an engine bay, ten or twelve radiations are positioned around the car to get rid of this heat from everything from the engine, gearbox, diff, etc and even then this wasn't enough, they had to forgo the hood and leave the engine open to the elements.

No car with even remotely it's capabilities can either ride as well, driving as well or contain it's potency into a package that can be driven so close to the limits of it's power by less than skilled drivers. No think about this last one, the Veyron can actually put all 1000hp and 1000Nm to the surface of the road even in the wet without killing you within the first 50 yards.

For Fu@ksake, even Captain Slow drive the bloody thing at it's maximum speed and still held a commentary to the camera on the dash without breaking into a sweat.

As I said at the start, the guy is pulling your chain.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #37
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Guys do you not realise that this guy Markoni is only trying to pull your chain (and doing a bloody good job of it).

It's simply absurd to think that the Veyron isn't a technical marvel. No car (I MEAN NO CAR) has had so much engineering development put into it, the comment from JC that each cost VW over 5 million euros each is not a joke. Look at the gearbox as an example, not only does it handle over 1000Nm of torque but it's a DRY clutch system, to put that into perspective, the only other dry clutch DCT currently on sale is the 7sp DSG that's also built by VW and it can only handle a quarter of the torque the Veyron's can.

Next is the heat the engine produces, maybe some others might confirm this figure if right but I think an engine that produces 1000hp is actually producing 3000kw of heat. Now that is an incredible figure to try and get rid of from an engine bay, ten or twelve radiations are positioned around the car to get rid of this heat from everything from the engine, gearbox, diff, etc and even then this wasn't enough, they had to forgo the hood and leave the engine open to the elements.

No car with even remotely it's capabilities can either ride as well, driving as well or contain it's potency into a package that can be driven so close to the limits of it's power by less than skilled drivers. No think about this last one, the Veyron can actually put all 1000hp and 1000Nm to the surface of the road even in the wet without killing you within the first 50 yards.

For Fu@ksake, even Captain Slow drive the bloody thing at it's maximum speed and still held a commentary to the camera on the dash without breaking into a sweat.

Haha, thank you for furthering my points. I don't think he was joking, but I did see that we came to an agreement in the end.

Bottom line: There's nothing like the Veyron on the market.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #38
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Jeremy Clarkson is going to love it and goes "POOOWWWWWEEEEERRRR~" all day long....
You may be thinking of Cpt. Slow in the Zonda F Roadster
      02-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #39
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post

I think Markoni is just a re-incarnation of the troll in the F/A-18 crash thread
      02-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #40
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Jeremy Clarkson is going to love it and goes "POOOWWWWWEEEEERRRR~" all day long....
too late, he's already driven the Veyron, same with "Hamster" and May. May was actually able to drive it and reach it's full HP potential. Those lucky bastards!!!

If I had the kind of money to purchase a Veyron without worrying, I'd definately get one.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #41
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: where do I start?

I have sat and driven in my friend's Veyron. This car is comfortable, quiet, composed, and very capable. The ride when set to normal is like a Phantom, but once you put it to pace and drop the car, it becomes a very different beast. It all comes down to choice and preference. The guy who can purchase a Veyron can also drop the coin on a Zonda.

Driving the Veyron is like cruising in a Wallypower Yacht. It's about traveling in style and comfort for this car.

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #42
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Dont like the exposed Carbon Fiber. Makes you look like a boy racer.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #43
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
Makes you look like a boy racer.
That's not even applicable to a car that can talk the talk and walk the walk.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #44
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
That's not even applicable to a car that can talk the talk and walk the walk.
I respect its abilities immensely but the naked carbon fiber is too vulgar for this blue blooded aristocrat.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0