BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #23
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Hi guys, I've started thinking more about the in-cabin experience rather than outside tone. In-cabin would be windows partially or fully down. Although I have an AA rear, let me share this and id be curious if the Akra or modded sound is better described the same.

The AA is bassy and it also has a high pitch that is more like a smooth sign wave. Outside the car it sounds great as most do. Inside I don't hear the interesting stuff, I only hear a humm and a higher pitched hum. None of the grunt and racy sounds reach the cabin. My guess is that bassy sound doesn't travel as well.

When I had xpipes mated to my oem, the emphasis of sound was more in the mid range up to high. I didn't feel the rumble but I heard more interesting tones. A blip would be more pronounced like it just punched you in the face. Rev matching was alot easier. The AA rear only does have as pronounced blip but it is loud enough to rev match.

So, given thw Akra is bassy, would you say in-cabin experience similar to a bassy exhaust like the AA.

It's so hard trying to describe this. Bottom line is one can get bored if the in cabin is just a hum rather than a snotty cough like m performance and oem.
The only issue I see is that he is trying to compare modded OEM to Akra. Adding a third exhaust to the mix is only confusing the OP.

But to consider what you've said above, I would be the AA is louder in cabin than the Akra is. The Akra can be very quiet, especially when you're not on the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #24
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
By the way, my intention is to she some light to help the OP in his decision as well as others and not hijack his thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Do it. If you don't like it, you could throw it back on the market and take little to no loss.

If you buy the evolve setup for the tune, you will also have logging eventually - when they release it. So it will be of great benefit even if you chose to run the stock programming. You can use it to diagnose problems, etc. But, none of this may be important to you...everyone is different. There are simple flash tunes that seem to produce solid gains - so various options there.

To me, the M3 is all about being greater than the sum of its parts. If you look at any "weight savings" in a vacuum, it may seem pointless (eg carbon fiber roof, plastic fenders, etc). So something like the Akrapovic is the perfect compliment - saving over 50+ lbs and producing serious power.

Unless...potential warranty issues really keeps you up at night. In that case, perhaps the grass really is always greener? ; )

Good luck.
I would enjoy the logging feature, especially for track days. I guess I should put my brand new modded OEM Muffler for sale soon.
      12-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #25
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Are you running a tune with it? It must be quieter than your modded OEM, right?
I had my dealer flash my car with the Dinan software so I dont get hassled about warranty stuff. And are you joking about my new exhaust being quieter? The OEM modded exhaust wasnt really that loud IMO especially in the low RPMs. Once you remove the cats the exhaust gains a lot more volume and sounds amazing. Oh and the stock exhaust looks like hell from the back. The Akra is worth the look alone, its so sexy!

-And FYI I am currently running the RPI GT X pipe w/resonators installed and Fabspeed mufflers.

Last edited by Raptor251; 12-12-2011 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #26
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
I had my dealer flash my car with the Dinan software so I dont get hassled about warranty stuff. And are you joking about my new exhaust being quieter? The OEM modded exhaust wasnt really that loud IMO especially in the low RPMs. Once you remove the cats the exhaust gains a lot more volume and sounds amazing. Oh and the stock exhaust looks like hell from the back. The Akra is worth the look alone, its so sexy!

-And FYI I am currently running the RPI GT X pipe w/resonators installed and Fabspeed mufflers.
I'm going for the akrapovic. Thanks all for the input.
      12-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #27
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You won't be disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #28
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:

I would enjoy the logging feature, especially for track days. I guess I should put my brand new modded OEM Muffler for sale soon.
Hahahahaha!

You're...welcome?

: )
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #29
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Great choice. Let me know if you need help in obtaining one.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #30
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Maybe just get the slip on then? At least it won't smell.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 12-14-2011 at 12:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #31
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Maybe just get the slick on then? At least it won't smell.
Aus, what does mean (HFCs)?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #32
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

High flow cats... And you'll love the akra on track
      12-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #33
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

High flow cats.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #34
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Ill offer my difference of oppinion. I had the akra evo, and it was extremely boring. The sound was rather mundane and lacked true character of this engine.
My personal oppion is that the best combo comes from using either the akra x pipe with a more aggressive exhaust or using a more aggressive x pipe with the akra axel back but not both together.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #35
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys, I've started thinking more about the in-cabin experience rather than outside tone. In-cabin would be windows partially or fully down. Although I have an AA rear, let me share this and id be curious if the Akra or modded sound is better described the same.

The AA is bassy and it also has a high pitch that is more like a smooth sign wave. Outside the car it sounds great as most do. Inside I don't hear the interesting stuff, I only hear a humm and a higher pitched hum. None of the grunt and racy sounds reach the cabin. My guess is that bassy sound doesn't travel as well.

When I had xpipes mated to my oem, the emphasis of sound was more in the mid range up to high. I didn't feel the rumble but I heard more interesting tones. A blip would be more pronounced like it just punched you in the face. Rev matching was alot easier. The AA rear only does have as pronounced blip but it is loud enough to rev match.

So, given thw Akra is bassy, would you say in-cabin experience similar to a bassy exhaust like the AA.

It's so hard trying to describe this. Bottom line is one can get bored if the in cabin is just a hum rather than a snotty cough like m performance and oem.
Akra evo is very quiet unless youre WOT and you dont get much more than a bit of a hum/resonance from it inside the cabin when cruising.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #36
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Ill offer my difference of oppinion. I had the akra evo, and it was extremely boring. The sound was rather mundane and lacked true character of this engine.
My personal oppion is that the best combo comes from using either the akra x pipe with a more aggressive exhaust or using a more aggressive x pipe with the akra axel back but not both together.
That concept is constantly on my mind. We'll see how I feel after some more prolonged usage. Hard to get away from the weight factor though. Anything else will undoubtedly be heavier.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #37
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
That concept is constantly on my mind. We'll see how I feel after some more prolonged usage. Hard to get away from the weight factor though. Anything else will undoubtedly be heavier.
Again, akra makes some of the best stuff, and the weight is quite substantial. 50 lbs is nothing to scoff at, although, at the same time youre removing weight from the lowest part of the car (thus probably increasing CG) and 50 lbs on a 3700 lbs car are almost negligible at best.
I just felt let down by the sound because so many people talked it up as being great sounding (which lead me to buy) and IMO it wasnt at all.
That said, having the akra x pipe and AA rear has been great (and is only about 15 lbs heavier than the full akra so weight savings are still there...but its about to change again! (keeping akra x pipe of course though).
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #38
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Again, akra makes some of the best stuff, and the weight is quite substantial. 50 lbs is nothing to scoff at, although, at the same time youre removing weight from the lowest part of the car (thus probably increasing CG) and 50 lbs on a 3700 lbs car are almost negligible at best.
I just felt let down by the sound because so many people talked it up as being great sounding (which lead me to buy) and IMO it wasnt at all.
That said, having the akra x pipe and AA rear has been great (and is only about 15 lbs heavier than the full akra so weight savings are still there...but its about to change again! (keeping akra x pipe of course though).
I agree. I was expecting a bit more sound. I don't mind loud either and the Akra definitely isn't loud throughout the rpm range wish is a let down. All-in-all though, I enjoy it so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #39
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Definitely think there are louder more aggressive setups no doubt, but just like our cars, think the akra is a perfect blend of civility and sportiness. Heard my wife drive away this morning and almost wet myself... "I" love it, but as always....blah, blah, blah...