BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

09-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
Clink
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Machine rims good or bad

I currently have a e93 m3 lowered on eibachs with bbs ch 19". Having problems in the rear srubbing because of the 295. I was told by a shop i either go a smaller tyre wich is not an option at the moment having brand new pss. or machine about 3-5mm of the offset.

What are yours thoughts about this any help is much appriciated
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
OMMMG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' F80 M3 AW/BLK

Easiest would be adding spacers, no? I could be wrong, if anyone wants to chime in, hope this helps
      09-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

There was a huge thread on here I was reading yesterday or the day before and it seems to have just disappeared. But in simple terms; DO NOT machine wheels to change offset, even a 2mm shave could destroy the integrity of the wheel completely. I'd remove the springs if the tires are that important to you or trade them with somebody for 285/30.

OMMMG - spacers won't solve the issue cos he needs a higher offset not lower.

EDIT - found the link, guess it wasn't even on here. Hopefully admin doesn't remove this; http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...lling-material (post 7 in particular)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMMMG View Post
Easiest would be adding spacers, no? I could be wrong, if anyone wants to chime in, hope this helps
no as this would push the wheel out further and he's talking about pulling it in
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

OP there is nothing wrong w/ a competent shop removing a few mm (dependent on available room on hub) to decrease offset, don't listen to all the negatives here. Ask the wheel shop as they'll be the ones doing it. If it were me, I would try and roll the rear fenders slightly first. Cheaper and you're not messing w/ the wheels at all. Remember, ask the wheel shop as this method will vary dependent upon wheel
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

I would think that renowned shops that specialize in this sort of thing would know more than the average Joe. What do you have to support your statement? I know for a fact if you are going to machine a wheel to change the offset it can and will damage the integrity, no questions. The wheels are built to specific sizes/weights and if these are changed then the wheel will not be what it was from when it left the assembly line. OP could go to a wheel shop and they could just say it can be done and later down the road the wheel will be split in half. World isn't perfect so you shouldn't be believing what everyone tells you.

FYI, you cannot roll the fenders on our cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
OP there is nothing wrong w/ a competent shop removing a few mm (dependent on available room on hub) to decrease offset, don't listen to all the negatives here. Ask the wheel shop as they'll be the ones doing it. If it were me, I would try and roll the rear fenders slightly first. Cheaper and you're not messing w/ the wheels at all. Remember, ask the wheel shop as this method will vary dependent upon wheel
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
CT
GODXSPD
United_States
Rep
Drives: SSII E90M

If it's a single-piece wheel, you're probably OK. Most manufacturers use the same forging or casting blocks for each "set" of diameter/offset/width combinations. For 18x8.5, as an example, you might have the same forging die or casting mold for 20mm to 30mm offsets. The post-forming operations would mill down the 20mm offset to 30mm prior to finishing. Removing an additional two or three shouldn't be any issue. Standardizing tooling is an extremely common cost saving move.

If it's a two- or three-piece wheel, you're likely to have greater risk because the smaller forging dies are much cheaper and it's easier for the manufacturer to employ greater variety. The greater variety allows them to employ more aggressive design allowables.

TL;DR - It's probably OK, to the tune of 2-3mm. Damage will be from fatigue life or extremely high impact load (avoid bumps, lad). Any more than a tenth-inch or so and you run a much greater risk.

e90m / ssii / foxred / wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 + 265/35r19 square / 15mm rear spacer / no chrome
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
Clink
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Wow thanx for everyones opinions. I think at this point of time ill run the 295 till i replace to a 285 in the future bit of scrub cant hurt the guards to much
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I would be concerned about decreasing the thickness of the backpad in the area where the lug holes are. If that area does not have enough material, it could be dangerous.