BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

06-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
ArthurL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT (E93)

E93 Leaking Rooof

Hey everyone, my roof leaks a bit when it rains. But good thing is that it's coming in from just one spot which is right above the drive seat where roof latches onto the body.

What's a possible solution to fix this? It seems like the rubber seal is where it's coming from.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
What is this "rain" you speak of???

-Confused in California
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #3
digitalpersona
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Blk/Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
What is this "rain" you speak of???

-Confused in California
Sorry, but it just came off sounding very funny

OP, this is my biggest fear with the e93. While i haven't experienced any leakage yet (crossing fingers), the only solution that comes to mind is to inspect and replace with weather strip. That's assuming the leak is coming from that area.

Would be interested in your final solution once its fixed, as it might come in handy one day.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #4
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

I've never had a convertible that did not leak. My 1995 325iC leaked in the same spot yours does, very annoying. Fast forward to 2009 when I purchased a 335i convertible, brand new. The leak annoyed me so much I sold the vehicle at a loss. The SO's Boxster leaked in exactly the same place, but on both sides. A friend who owned his own shop and serviced BMW, Porsche, Mercedes etc. replaced all of the rubber seals on the top of the windshield area. He also replaced parts of the convertible roof mechanism, and due to the fact that he owned the Porsche computer thingy required to perform adjustments of a mechanical nature, recalibrated the timing of the convertible top motors. This solved the problem as the roof closed solidly against the top of the windshield. That you have a 2008 is an issue from a warranty perspective, so this could be an expensive fix. One thing that helped in my 2009 was cleaning the rubber seals on the front edge of the convertible top, likewise those on the top of the windshield and then coating with gummifledge. Otherwise it is possible that your top requires some adjustment to make the seal waterproof.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Make sure the drain hole in the windshield part of the seal is not clogged.

Also, make sure your rubber seals are greased to ensure the best seal. Use Krytox or 1Z Einszett GummiPfledge
Appreciate 0