BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

04-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #45
gbb357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
the F fender vents are Fake , as in F= fake, F= Fail. except for the fact that they look ricer like the Fake exhaust tips too.

the M3 engine componant you see in the above pic, for the uneduacated (GGB are you here?) is called an intake plenum and it is functional, it covers 8, yes count them, 8 intake throttles, something you will not see on the IS-Fake. its not a Fake cover like on the Failing ISF.
It is spelled "uneducated" not "uneduacated". So before you insult others about being uneducated, at least check your spelling. You originally said the engine cover, not the intake plenum. The intake plenum in the ISF is not plastic, plastic would'nt be able to withstand the heat. And 3 people have confirmed that the side intakes are not fake, including ase2dais.

P.S. It's also spelled "component" not "componant".

Last edited by gbb357; 04-21-2008 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #46
gbb357
Captain
Rep

This is an engine cover.

The photo that i posted of the M3's intake plenum also serves as the engine cover. That intake plenum from the M3 covers the intake manifold which is on top of the engine, therefore it covers the engine as well. Hence it's the engine cover.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #47
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

^ Fake engine cover above in the ISF. I love the simulated 8 bumps, four each side, to one the impression its a v8.
M3= real functional intake plenum.

BTW i kant spel 2 gud.
      04-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #48
gbb357
Captain
Rep

Quote:
^ Fake engine cover above in the ISF. I love the simulated 8 bumps, four each side, to one the impression its a v8.
M3= real functional intake plenum.

BTW i kant spel 2 gud.
Yes, we all know. That's why you should'nt talk trash about being uneducated.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #49
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Bruce - I've owned both Lexus and BMWs. They are both excellent cars, well above the majority of cars out there. However, BMWs are more sporty while Lexus' are more luxurious (both by design). The ISF is a tremendous car but falls slightly to the luxury side while the BMW M3 falls on the sporty side.

No doubt you can't go wrong with either. Clearly people will make their own choice as has been debated endlessly.

The thread started with Hans and HER wanderlust. She's a knowledgeable car person who probably tracks more than most here. Given her past posts, I think most are suggesting that she will enjoy the BMW more than the ISF. In particular her original post was whether she could live with the ISF alone vs. a BMW + Evo.
Agree with pretty much everything you say - and I am familiar with who Hans is (if that matters). As I mentioned somewhere in this endless string, my advice to her would've been to wait.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #50
DC52E55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
5. engine out of the LS460
6. engine tuned by Yamaha
It's from LS600hl, not the 460.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #51
DC52E55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
I know.... I know... I think the IS-F is a phase. I just want a new car REALLY BADly, and I'm horrible at waiting!!

Tell me about it. I just want a new car so badly that I even paid 99$ to reserve a smart four two. Make me felt a little better that night. 99$ well worth it.

Try that. It might help.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #52
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
get the ISF then, seems like you want to

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #53
viettho
Rep
Drives: IS-F

I love the m3, but most topics have m3 vs ... that I read in this forum, sayemthree always talks trash about others, and especially, his information is usually wrong!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #54
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viettho View Post
I love the m3, but most topics have m3 vs ... that I read in this forum, sayemthree always talks trash about others, and especially, his information is usually wrong!!!
tell me what on this list is wrong info? it is all directly from a US car mag.

1. fake fender vents
2. fake exhaust pipes
3. cheesy plastic engine cover
4. No Lim Slip Diff
5. engine out of the LS460 (the LS600h engine is based on the 460)
6. engine tuned by Yamaha
7. Nav out of the Prius
8. No manual transmission
9. IS-F has lost every track comparison to date
10. peak torque RPM is way to high (the Lexus engine doesn’t deliver according to CandD)
11. Average age of Lexus owner 60-something. Average age of BMW owner 40-something
12. Its still a Toyota, the General Motors of Japan

Motor Trend on the IS-F sept 2008:steering "really loses sensitivity when honking it"
"but the car understeers heavily at the limit" and the "wheel feels disconnected at that point".
and it "plows hard" when pushed.
and inside "the nav screen and buttons come right out of the Prius".
      04-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #55
gbb357
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontknowM3
Its still a Toyota, the General Motors of Japan
So wait, is this suppose to be a bad thing? So i guess you feel the same way about GM, for you GM sucks like Toyota. Alrighty then.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #56
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb357 View Post
So wait, is this suppose to be a bad thing? So i guess you feel the same way about GM, for you GM sucks like Toyota. Alrighty then.
Speaking of which, I can't wait for the CTS-V. I know that size-wise it competes more with the M5 than the M3, but for $60K, it's obviously priced to compete with the M3. The new CTS has been one of the two real bright spots for GM in the past few months (the other being the Malibu).
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #57
gbb357
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkei View Post
Speaking of which, I can't wait for the CTS-V. I know that size-wise it competes more with the M5 than the M3, but for $60K, it's obviously priced to compete with the M3. The new CTS has been one of the two real bright spots for GM in the past few months (the other being the Malibu).
Yeah, i really like the Malibu. I finally one saw upclose last month inside a mall, i'm really impress with whole design inside and out.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #58
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
This design could have more engineering than meets the eye but the significant growth of the system is not subverted by separating the tips out in the bumper cover. It simply moves the problem to another location.
I wasn't referring to growth. More like the necessary back and forth, up and down movement.

Quote:
If you check the definiton of fake you will find many concepts including: deceptive, to make more attractive, etc. In my opinion and in the opinion of countless others who have chimed in on the topic fake is an appropriate word. Sure it does not mean they are not real - they certainly exist. One particularly fake thing about them is the oval shape of the "tips". The actual pipes are round and the tips are oval. The similarities between fake bolt on style tips or other fake body integrated tips available in some hideous body kits and this system are too great to let pass without note.
OK, I guess I shouldn't bother any more. Now it's that the tips are oval?

Pass.

Quote:
This is something voiced by a very small minority (a couple folks at best) rather than "everybody and his brother". Exaggeration much? I would like to ask Lucid if he "understands". Last I heard I thought his conclusion was still that the numbers do not support that conclusion. Do let us know when you re-engineeer this crucial fatal flaw of the M3s engine. The boys in Garching will be watching your every move.
Funny, I could swear I read a post by lucid in regard to his car being willing when pushed, but a little lethargic otherwise. In it, he referred to looking for ways to reduce the vehicle's weight - then opened a separate note on the topic. Can't find it, though. Maybe I dreamed it?

Assuming I didn't, I'll correspond with him on a fix that's not quite right, but getting awfully close.

Quote:
Strongly disagree. In fact I'll make a poll on this just to see what folks think. You should also state the whole truth rather than a part truth that supports your already weak case. The M-DCT HAS THE OPTION to shift on its own.
Yup, just as with a torque-converter automatic, you can shift on your own, or let the box do it automatically.

Quote:
I don't deny some benefits of torque converter automatics. However, the increase in losses, massive increase in complexity and extra weight are a few of the big down sides.
Increase in losses, certainly, but in some case (335, 911 turbo, etc.), autos outperform sticks. Increase in complexity? Is there a downside to this? Autos have been more reliable than sticks for decades. Extra weight? Maybe, but I'd be willing to bet that the M3 automatic weighs more than the ZF torque converter automatic in the 335. That unit weighs only twelve pounds more than the stick box in the 335 car, which in turn is similar to the M3 stick.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 01:54 AM   #59
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
I wasn't referring to growth. More like the necessary back and forth, up and down movement.

OK, I guess I shouldn't bother any more. Now it's that the tips are oval?

Pass.

Funny, I could swear I read a post by lucid in regard to his car being willing when pushed, but a little lethargic otherwise. In it, he referred to looking for ways to reduce the vehicle's weight - then opened a separate note on the topic. Can't find it, though. Maybe I dreamed it?

Assuming I didn't, I'll correspond with him on a fix that's not quite right, but getting awfully close.

Yup, just as with a torque-converter automatic, you can shift on your own, or let the box do it automatically.

Increase in losses, certainly, but in some case (335, 911 turbo, etc.), autos outperform sticks. Increase in complexity? Is there a downside to this? Autos have been more reliable than sticks for decades. Extra weight? Maybe, but I'd be willing to bet that the M3 automatic weighs more than the ZF torque converter automatic in the 335. That unit weighs only twelve pounds more than the stick box in the 335 car, which in turn is similar to the M3 stick.

Bruce
  • The largest expansion due to CTE of an exhaust is along its length and this is the one that must be designed for fairly carefully.
  • Fake is fake, most folks agree.
  • Lucid intial impressions are here and I think you misread them. Actually I think you did dream it as you mentioned. Do keep us all posted (not just lucid) on this re-engineering of the M3 for better low rpm throttle response. We are all very anxious for a "fix".
  • Autos more reliable than sticks? I'll take your data to back up that claim and I am not interested in anecdotal nor preferences from drag racers. I mean real evidence about regular production vehicles. I seriously doubt your claim.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #60
gbb357
Captain
Rep

What's up Swamp.

Swamp, i know you and i have talked about this before. The only reason i still don't consider it fake, is because the ISF does have 4 stacked exhaust outlets. Now granted the tips that you see from the back are not connected to the actual exhaust outlets, therefore i would call it disconnected. Now with that being said, would you consider the Audi R8's exhaust fake as well, and also the Murcielago's and i believe also the Bentley Continental GT uses the same design concept. Those three cars have the same disconnected tips from the actual exhaust outlet just like the ISF. Here's a pic of the R8's exhaust, and i'll post a pic of the Murci's exhaust later.

Here's the Murci's exhaust. The actual tip is part of the bumper.

Last edited by gbb357; 04-22-2008 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #61
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

we could call them disconnected, we could call them non-functional, but its easier to call them fake.
      04-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #62
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

^ agreed, fake may not be the best word but certainly the designs above you pointed out are identical in the this regard to the IS-F. I don't like the looks of these systems either, being them from an exotic or not. No matter how nice the surrounding car is they look cheap and from a $99 Civic body kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #63
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

how about faux?
      04-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #64
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Dang, look what I caused.

I used to wonder why people would ask a public forum what car to buy. Now I know not to air my waffling either!

Oh well. I think my message is "Don't drink and post" or maybe "don't walk into a Lexus dealer, sit in the cars, then go home, drink and post"

and i'll let all this "she" stuff slide.......... for now!!!
      04-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #65
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List

I think it interesting, much better than reading post about tints all day long
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 10:33 PM   #66
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
Dang, look what I caused.

I used to wonder why people would ask a public forum what car to buy. Now I know not to air my waffling either!

Oh well. I think my message is "Don't drink and post" or maybe "don't walk into a Lexus dealer, sit in the cars, then go home, drink and post"

and i'll let all this "she" stuff slide.......... for now!!!
LOL! so are you saying now that you've sobered up you're sticking with the M3?