BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-16-2010, 04:28 AM   #111
DutchManticore
Private
Rep
Drives: None yet

Sorry guys but this topic is stupid. All you guys are gonna do here is whine about how you want things for free.

That's a given.. everything wants more for less.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #112
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchManticore View Post
Sorry guys but this topic is stupid. All you guys are gonna do here is whine about how you want things for free.

That's a given.. everything wants more for less.
You thought this thread was stupid and yet you still felt the need to resurrect it from 6 months ago?

I guess the wide range of answers here shows why BMW decided to make things optional and not standard. It seems they did a good job of it, too since most of the comments here are about options people wish they had but couldn't (e.g., CF roof on E90, Brembos, delete options).

And re: bundling MDM with the tech package - that's a classic pricing scheme. There is an entire field in the business world dedicated to finding the best way to bundle options together so as to maximize amount of dollars realized from each customer. We're screwed and can't do anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 04:35 AM   #113
DutchManticore
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
You thought this thread was stupid and yet you still felt the need to resurrect it from 6 months ago?

I guess the wide range of answers here shows why BMW decided to make things optional and not standard. It seems they did a good job of it, too since most of the comments here are about options people wish they had but couldn't (e.g., CF roof on E90, Brembos, delete options).

And re: bundling MDM with the tech package - that's a classic pricing scheme. There is an entire field in the business world dedicated to finding the best way to bundle options together so as to maximize amount of dollars realized from each customer. We're screwed and can't do anything about it.
Oh I had no idea! It showed up on the first index page so I assumed it would be recent, without checking the date. My bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 05:28 AM   #114
AMMZING
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Acura TSX/2003 Mazda6s

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
You know theres a problem when the back up camera is the best feature of the car.
the only reason i want a backup camera is for when im backing out of my driveway and lets say some small kid is playing there or a ball runs across or a dog runs by or somethin like that.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #115
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I want the M3 to come without radio, a/c,........and cost 10.000 € less, or have Brembo, Reccaro, Akrapovic, KW standard.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #116
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I want the M3 to come without radio, a/c,........and cost 10.000 € less, or have Brembo, Reccaro, Akrapovic, KW standard.
That's what the Lotus Elise/Exige is, a bare bones track car. The M3 is a street car that can be tracked.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #117
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHump View Post
Based on your thought process, BMW should provide a crank out on the grill so you can start your car. I mean, really, if you can't start your car you shouldn't be in one.

I don't recall saying that a backup camera is needed to park. What I recall saying is that it allows you to fit into tighter spaces. While you're looking for your next $2,000 ceramic exhaust mod, I'm simply asking for a $50 upgrade that actually has some practical function.

There's something about this whole reply that reminds me about this joke I've heard about BMWs. It had to do with the difference between BMWs and Porcupines.
First off that was a most deserving shot.

Clearly there are three major camps in this topic.

1. Track oriented
2. DD oriented
3. Profit oriented

Let's start with the profit oriented - BMW. Yes they have to make money if we expect to see good profucts and service continue.

One of the key ways they make money, as all manufuctures, is to bundle options together that allow them to blend low and high margin options. Otherwise, buyers could end up buying a stripped down version that would also strip down the profit. Yes you would pay less, get less but BMW would eventually stop making M3s.

What would be interesting would possibly be a mandatory option alternative such that the base car would have either more track oriented options or DD oriented options. In both cases you could add in the items not included.

However in addition to what is offered today I would like to see

HUD
B/U Camera - I am torn on this but it should be an option at least
Blue Tooth for safety reasons should be standard.

As for all the comments about what a M really means and shooting down why M SUV. To me it is not confusing. The M means that the SUV compared to other SUVs is a performance machine. What is wrong with that. Does everyone who has kids or a cottage or a winter have to miss out?

If you want to get ideas about what options to add just log onto the Porsche site. If you want it, it is available for a $$$. Given that M3s are not mass produced I can't see why BMW couldn't also provide this option. However, it sure would take some of the after mod market revenue.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #118
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
There're really 2 issues here: what should be standard, and what should be optional.

STANDARD (that currently is not): Leather, Bluetooth, iDrive (with screen, but no nav). And yes, iPod/USB should be standard as well, or at least a freaking CD changer.

OPTIONAL: HUD, Brembo brakes, Sport Exhaust, front PDC (along with rear). Nothing else makes sense on this car, like ventilated seats, power steering column, and other luxury crap like that. Oh, and I'd delete power sunshade, even though I have it.

Emboldened = agreement with you.

The electronics such as iPod are likely obsolete < ten years; probably much sooner which is why its inclusion doesn't matter to me.

Agree on Brembo brakes; should be a factory option.

Auto-dimming mirrors should be as standard as a steering wheel.

Something that should be an option IMHO is a donut spare. Mobility kits are poor substitutes in some instances where reinflation is beyond the MK's ability to cope with what has happened to a tire.

One other option that would be very nice to have is factory (or dealership) installed @ zero additional cost aftermarket exhaust that was "APPROVED" by M Division. The exhaust could be purchased by checking the respective "Options" box during purchase/order.

One last item that IMO should be granted at zero cost on a customer's whim: Speed delimited (a la debadging).
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #119
DutchManticore
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge View Post
Emboldened = agreement with you.

The electronics such as iPod are likely obsolete < ten years; probably much sooner which is why its inclusion doesn't matter to me.

Agree on Brembo brakes; should be a factory option.

Auto-dimming mirrors should be as standard as a steering wheel.

Something that should be an option IMHO is a donut spare. Mobility kits are poor substitutes in some instances where reinflation is beyond the MK's ability to cope with what has happened to a tire.

One other option that would be very nice to have is factory (or dealership) installed @ zero additional cost aftermarket exhaust that was "APPROVED" by M Division. The exhaust could be purchased by checking the respective "Options" box during purchase/order.

One last item that IMO should be granted at zero cost on a customer's whim: Speed delimited (a la debadging).

Well the point of that speed limit isn't to bother the customer.. it's to keep germanies' highways safe, and germanies' air clean :P.

They're never gonna get rid of that unless one of out Audi, BMW or Mercedes break the rule and thus voids the gentlemens' agreement in which they agreed to limited to 155mph or 250kph.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #120
serge
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

iPod connection + alarm.

A $65K CAR w/o these simple options is totally unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #121
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
iPod connection + alarm.

A $65K CAR w/o these simple options is totally unacceptable.
iPod yes. Alarm not so much. They're almost irrelevant nowadays (in the us at least). I think it's been said already but count me in for led tails and angel eyes.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 01:08 AM   #122
08E92M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

HUD is my 1st choice, my wife and I both love it when we drove one of those M5/M6 at the Performance Center during the M school.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #123
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

diplomatic immunity
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 01:48 AM   #124
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

It's interesting that we have to check the oil on the dash, but have to manually check the tire pressures. My 2007 Acura TL-S gave me the tire pressures on the dash. I did read how excited some BMW writer was when he found out he could check the actual tire pressures on the new M5. Welcome to the 21st Century BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #125
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I don't think any of you realize whatever will be added to the list you will pay for. Then we will have another thread asking "What do you don't want on the car"

"Nothing absolutely nothing is free in this world" Once you realize this you simply order your car and check the options you want.

It is like the 4 year maintenance plan ... you pay for it up front, Mercedes charges you (if you have one) as you go. I know I just paid for the first year inspection oil and filter change $358- a joke to me when I think back 20 years having to pay for the first oil change on an American car less then $20.00

So get used to it "Nothing comes free" so tick up your likes and dislikes when you order your car.

As far as I am concerned if I could have one option choice on my M3 (and we don't) it would be to have a dipstick.

Call me old fashion, I love how I can check my oil qualety (colour) smell and actual level on my Mercedes. I know over 50% of you fellows like a dip stick as well I had a poll about that some time ago. Yes that would be an option I'll gladly pay for.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 04-23-2012 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #126
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Something to think about. Over to the corvette forums a common topic to rear its head from time to time was the leaner meaner versus more content debate. Like here but even moreso because it is a more trafficked forum it wasn't long before someone actually did the math. Or more specifically the weighing. I don't recall what it was with the base car but for the Z the sum total weight increase if you check every box was 26 lbs. This was done before the option came along for the extra leather which had to add further weight but I don't believe I ever saw a number on it. Also you have to consider that the Z didn't really have any heavy individual options like the moonroof for our cars. Still there were folks that complained about those lbs and I believe they had an argument. The Z was supposed to be the lean mean fighting machine in the lineup, that was its intent. Why then have these options? According to Dave Hill who you think would probably know its because without a certain level of content they have a car that they cant sell in numbers to recoup its development costs and realize a further profit which would mean there would be no Z06 at all.

When you think about the M3 the situation is probably at least somewhat similar. If you want a more directed standard performance option from an M3 you need to get its price point more reasonable than the GTS. The only way to do this is to sell enough cars to make it pay and the only way to do that is give the car enough content to sell to a broader audience than the small fraction who actually would delete A/C if they could.

More to the thread.... I haven't purchased a car in years that didn't have the handy little net running across the back of the truck to keep your groceries from flying all over on the way home. I actually called the dealership to tell them that it had been left laying in the prep area or something and I wanted to pick it up when I got my 1200. That would be when we found out we don't get one.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #127
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
iPod yes. Alarm not so much.
Yeah, without the key, there's no way to hot-wire a modern BMW, right? The alarm just gives you an audible alert if someone smashes a window. Which we all know, if someone wants to smash your window and take something, a blinking alarm light is not going to stop them.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #128
BD SM3RF
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedawg View Post
diplomatic immunity
Now were talking.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #129
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
HUD
CF Roof for E90
Ventilated seats
+1 on all -ventilated seats. I hate that bandaid look.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #130
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloil View Post
That is the damn truth!
They heard that. F8x has the ZHP knob.

Also I don't really get the ipod concerns. Throw your music on a USB stick and stop being so electronically challenged.
      04-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #131
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
make all options available a la carte, don't force them into packages

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #132
CptSlow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
....... cut in 40% the M3 production from now on; the days of talking about 100,000 sales in a model run are over. Two years in a row of M3 sales factory/financing subsidies in the USA are killing the resale value and image as well.
AMG has done exactly this.

A comparable lease on a comparable MSRP C63 is insanely expensive.
2011 E82 128i STEP (wife's car)
2007 E92 335i (SOLD) 6MT
Appreciate 0