BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

06-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

BMW License Plate Mounted Park Distance Control Kit-Rear Only - 66210395009

I stumbled upon this on BMW's site, and was wondering if anyone has tried it?

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...&ProductId=779

If so, what all goes into the installation. I don't have PDC, but since I only back my car in, I don't feel the need for the front pdc unit, and this seems to be reasonably priced.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Hmm, I can't see how that can be useful unless you are always backing up to a straight long wall. In all of my cars, I found PDC is most usefull detecting obstacles in the corners of the bumpers. The good thing about BMW's PDC is that it shows you which sensor is closest to obstacle.

In my mind, if you don't have PDC, retrofit OEM PDC. You can get it remote coded from Mike Benvo. Other option would be to install a backup camera (assuming you have NAV) and use that as reference.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

I have it since 2009.
It's not bad. Basically, you're installing a license plate sensor and tiny speaker (in rear windshield brake light area).
So when you back in and getting close to any object, it'll start beeping slowly then gets faster (closer to object).

It's indépendant unit so don't expect to see anything in your drive screen or from your audio speaker. For the price, it works well. I later added front/rear camera and works really well together (visual + sound).

Attached pictures in real life shot.
Attached Images

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Hmm, I can't see how that can be useful unless you are always backing up to a straight long wall.
Yeah, the wall in my parking garage. I picked up a modmynav unit, but I haven't decided if I wanted to use the camera input for that or something else.....

Thank you for the pics, Isugoo! One thing I noticed in them....3 different sets of rims *lol*

Last edited by whats77inaname; 06-18-2012 at 01:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Yeah, the wall in my parking garage. I picked up a modmynav unit, but I haven't decided if I wanted to use the camera input for that or something else.....

Thank you for the pics, Isugoo! One thing I noticed in them....3 different sets of rims *lol*
hahaha. you're sharp to see 3 sets of wheels in that picture.
I only have TE37SL at the moment. =D

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Hmm, I can't see how that can be useful unless you are always backing up to a straight long wall. In all of my cars, I found PDC is most usefull detecting obstacles in the corners of the bumpers. The good thing about BMW's PDC is that it shows you which sensor is closest to obstacle.

In my mind, if you don't have PDC, retrofit OEM PDC. You can get it remote coded from Mike Benvo. Other option would be to install a backup camera (assuming you have NAV) and use that as reference.
Agree with you.
OEM PDC would be the best but can't beat its $150 price tag on those for backup and parallel parking etc of simple use.

it's really better than nothing and worth its price tag.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
flipper325
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 328xiT

I just installed this kit in my 2008 328xi Touring, and would not recommend it. It works OK (obviously not as well as the factory PDC with multiple sensors in the bumper), but my main issue was installation.

The design and documentation for this kit were clearly not done by BMW, but were outsourced to a company that didn't bother to confirm their own instructions -- for my wagon, they weren't just incomplete, but often wrong.

The main issue is routing wires from the license plate/sensor assembly through body grommets. On the wagon, there are two such grommets, one from the inside of the hatch to the outside, and another between the hatch and the body (on a car with a trunk, I suspect there is only one grommet, between the trunk and the body.) These grommets are very tight, and filled with RTV. Removing the RTV and sliding the wires -- with connectors already attached -- through these grommets, without tearing them, is a real PITA!

I subsequently talked with several folks who had installed this PDC kit or a rear license plate-mounted laser jammer, and all ended up splitting the grommets length-wise, and then resealing them -- something that I wasn't willing to do.

The instructions for where to mount the control module and the speaker were bad, and which wires to tap into were wrong, but that was fairly minor.

If I had to do it over again, and had a car with iDrive, I'd recommend getting bumper sensors, control modules, and wiring from a donor car that had factory PDC (I believe US E9X cars only came with rear PDC, but cars in Europe had front PDC available as well.) Even with used parts, it would be more expensive, and one would have to remove a lot more interior trim to expose the harnesses and rout the wires, but the installation itself would be easier, cleaner, and work better. In this case, you really get what you pay for.

Alex
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

This is cool for those of us who enjoy "clean bumpers". I didn't even notice my car was lacking PDC until I took delivery.

I feel like a camera would be a better option if you're going to go through the pain of wiring this thing up. If you have iDrive that is ...
Appreciate 0