BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
bm_chief
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Exclamation Unknown warning light - help needed

2009MY E90 M3, equipped with the EDC. A warning light shown in the picture appeared yesterday for the first time. This warning light itself is not described in the manual, but clearly has to do with shocks and EDC. When the light is on – the ride becomes extremely choppy, brutally jarring, and the EDC modes cannot be changed. The light did not disappear when I restarted the engine, but it did disappear after the car was parked for a few hours. Each time I start driving, after about 20 minutes, the light comes on again. Does anyone know what causes this warning and what the fix is?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

That's the symbol for an EDC fault which you've already figured out based on the change in your ride comfort! There's no way to get any additional info on what's causing the fault from the car (i.e., using iDrive) so it's time for a trip to the dealer; however, if you have a BMW-specific OBDII scan tool you should be able to read the specific EDC fault code and figure out what caused the EDC fault symbol to show up on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
That's the symbol for an EDC fault which you've already figured out based on the change in your ride comfort! There's no way to get any additional info on what's causing the fault from the car (i.e., using iDrive) so it's time for a trip to the dealer; however, if you have a BMW-specific OBDII scan tool you should be able to read the specific EDC fault code and figure out what caused the EDC fault symbol to show up on the dash.
+1

You could also quickly pop the front strut tower caps and make sure the EDC connector is plugged in firmly. I had the same symbol from when I did the DIY alignment pin removal, and it was due to a loose connection.
Appreciate 0