BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
ohhh my
Rep
Drives: 08 335

12v remote wire needed in trunk

Where can I find a 12v power source in the trunk of a 335 sedan that only turns on with the ignition? Location and wire color would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

amp install?
      04-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
Paesano
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

I can tell you. There is one but it does not have enough current to operate your amp, so you will need a relay. Or I can tell you where to go without a relay but its a little more work.

Choices:
1-if you have a relay (can pick one up for about $5 from any stereo installer, either go to an electronics store or a car audio garage at best buy or something and ask them for it).
Under your trunk-floor lining close to where the seats pivot, there is a bunch of wires in a harness (if someone can tell me what these wires are for that would be great, I think its for sirius or satellite radio??) Anyway, in the major harness, find the tiny black wire with a red stripe. This is your switched power wire, but typically doesn't supply enough current for your amp (you can try, didnt work on my alpine). Jump this to your relay (likely a white wire with black stripe). you'll next need a constant 12v wire, this would be one of the red with green stripe wires on the same harness as your switch/trigger wire. Jump this to your relay's yellow wire.
Relay's blue wire goes to your remote wire for the amp. Relay's black gets grounded (I think this is a brown wire on the harness). voila.

2-if you don't have/can't get a relay, run your remote wire (hiding it under seats and carpet, aka the hard part) from the trunk to the back of the middle console. pop off the vent and ashtray cover, there should be a red and brown wire running to a harness. jump off the red wire. its not ignition pwoer source but it is an accessory power source (which is on when your engine is running). so if your engine is off you have to push your engine start button until you turn your accessory power on in the car.
Appreciate 0