BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #89
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Still waiting on the procedure you used to do the jump so I don't mess up my car when I give my next jump.

Don't hold your breath...
      11-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #90
MStar
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Still waiting on the procedure you used to do the jump so I don't mess up my car when I give my next jump..
Whats the point? you have already made up your mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Don't hold your breath...
Please do.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #91
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStar View Post
Whats the point? you have already made up your mind

It's not a matter of making up my mind. I want to know what you did, so I don't do it that way.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #92
MStar
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It's not a matter of making up my mind. I want to know what you did, so I don't do it that way.
I didnt do anything the other car had a damaged voltage regulator.. when they fail the voltage can spike up to 20V (as was the case with the car I was boosting) The guy had already destroyed his battery and didnt know it..nor did I (he thought all he needed was a boost)....end result was my instrument cluster burnt out..

Last edited by MStar; 11-03-2012 at 02:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #93
Angelo1123
3Dirty5
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver 08 335i convertible

I was told it fucks up something with the computer. But I have nothing to back that statement up.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #94
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
I didnt do anything the other car had a damaged voltage regulator.. when they go the voltage can spike up to 20V (as was the case with the car I was boosting) The guy had already destroyed his battery and didnt know it..nor did I (he thought all he needed was a boost)....end result was my instrument cluster burnt out..

I described what happend -post #58
Thanks. Something I had not though about.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #95
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

I guess it would depend on the circumstances, but I've done it and would do it with this car as well. I don't see how you could hurt the electrical system unless you crossed the cables. If it was a legit person in distress then no problem. If it were some doucher then I'd imagine I would pass.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #96
carlfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I've down it countless times to total strangers and to friends. I used to jump start my neighbor's old beater several times a week before he headed for work. Doesn't harm anything if you know how to do it. I'd imagine everyone that is posting on a bmw car forum knows how to do it properly.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #97
MStar
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post
I don't see how you could hurt the electrical system unless you crossed the cables
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend View Post
Nothing will happen to your battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfan View Post
Doesn't harm anything if you know how to do it.
I love posts like these because it demonstrates how no one reads threads before posting..

FYI....YES you can do some hurt besides crossing the cables, the damage is not always to the battery, and sometimes the fault lies in the other cars electronic system nothing to do with "knowing how to do it" ...so guess what?...when cabled up to another car...it means its your car's electronic system as well..do you guys understand the basics of electronic circuitry?..

I really question how many people "say" they would help and how many people actually would.. in a real world scenario...well I guess you all know who you are.

Here it is..the proper way to jump a car safely is with a battery pack..anything else and you are rolling the dice...END THREAD/////
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #98
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
There sure is.

Click the name of the poster, click View Public Profile, then click the drop down for User Lists. Click Add to Ignore List. Bingo!
Oh, thanks Templar, seriously. I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #99
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Yes ....

We all should be up to speed as to how it is done correctly. The manual will show you how step by step.

Some day you may need a jump start when you least expect it. So yes get the manual out and have a read.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #100
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
I love posts like these because it demonstrates how no one reads threads before posting..

FYI....YES you can do some hurt besides crossing the cables, the damage is not always to the battery, and sometimes the fault lies in the other cars electronic system nothing to do with "knowing how to do it" ...so guess what?...when cabled up to another car...it means its your car's electronic system as well..do you guys understand the basics of electronic circuitry?..

I really question how many people "say" they would help and how many people actually would.. in a real world scenario...well I guess you all know who you are.

Here it is..the proper way to jump a car safely is with a battery pack..anything else and you are rolling the dice...END THREAD/////
+1 /thread. Battery Packs FTW
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #101
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

As@@@@@
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #102
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

Done it twice. Never know where a good deed will lead you. Hell I bought jumper cables for a woman once.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #103
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808@702
Jump start a total strangers car? I was asked to today by a couple of kids in a beater Honda Accord at a gas station. I politely told them I was in a hurry and was sorry but couldnt. Does jump starting a dead battery harm our batteries? I would think probably not.
It is not the batteries that you worry about. It is the electrical system.

You are interfacing a $50k electrical system with an unknown quantity.

That said, even BMW's raw DC power is nothing special.

I think our friend said it best. Treat others the way you would want to be treated.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #104
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

depends on the situation
Appreciate 0