BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

02-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #243
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Kind of sucks you have to buy these features after you spent $50 on the app.
It says F3x support soon, but I'm sure that's another in app purchase too.

I could see them doing this for new buyers of the app, but for the guys who've had it for a while, then to add in app purchases kind of sucks, IMO.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 04:44 AM   #244
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Is that really how it works? Since I bought the BMWhat app there has been various standard updates but haven't seen anything I need to pay extra for?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 08:40 AM   #245
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP Azurite Black

Anybody know how to determine which remote is Key 1 vs Key 2? Just purchased the app and I'm about to start coding.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #246
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman
Is that really how it works? Since I bought the BMWhat app there has been various standard updates but haven't seen anything I need to pay extra for?
The battery registration and service reset are additional charges but they also implemented features over time that were just regular free updates. I'm pretty sure additional support the F chassis cars will be free

Depending on how much your shop charges for a battery registration, it might still be cheaper to buy the dongle, app, and add on
      02-16-2015, 10:19 AM   #247
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
The battery registration and service reset are additional charges but they also implemented features over time that were just regular free updates. I'm pretty sure additional support the F chassis cars will be free

Depending on how much your shop charges for a battery registration, it might still be cheaper to buy the dongle, app, and add on
My dealer charged me $110 on top of the price of the battery for registration and to clear the faults. Wish this feature was available a few months ago. The app and OBD adapter would have paid for itself just for that one service.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #248
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Maybe I missed it, but how much is the add on and is one price for battery registration and another for maintenance reset?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #249
OneSickM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Can anyone confirm if this app reads BMW specific codes?

For $50 bucks it is a steep, is there another app or tool that the reads/clears BMW specific codes but cheaper? I don't care about coding with this app because I have K+DCan cable and NCS Expert for coding.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #250
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickM View Post
Can anyone confirm if this app reads BMW specific codes?

For $50 bucks it is a steep, is there another app or tool that the reads/clears BMW specific codes but cheaper? I don't care about coding with this app because I have K+DCan cable and NCS Expert for coding.
The app reads BMW specific codes and there is a setting to read generic OBD codes as well.

I highly recommend getting the BMWhat adapter for those looking to code. Found out the hard way that the adapter I bought on Ebay (the one with the orange and blue label) cannot code the JBBF or CSM modules even though they are recognized as codeable on the initial scan. I get a message stating: "The communication with the selected ECU is too complex for the used adapter." Thankfully the generic adapter cost me less than 20 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 11:47 PM   #251
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
So excited to really try this out! ...just got the adapter and app, did a quick test and everything works great. Thanks to all who contributed in this thread!
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #252
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I use the VLink white app with iOS and parameters work, though the refresh rate is fairly slow, and I was able to use all the new coding tools. Hooray for no more ultra-conservative low fuel warnings!
      03-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #253
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

I apologize in advance for resurrecting this thread, but it contains a wealth of valuable information.

I was curious, has anyone successfully used the BMWhat app and BMWhat WiFi dongle (with an iPhone) to register a new battery?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #254
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun
I apologize in advance for resurrecting this thread, but it contains a wealth of valuable information.

I was curious, has anyone successfully used the BMWhat app and BMWhat WiFi dongle (with an iPhone) to register a new battery?

Thanks in advance.
I just did it today on my friend's car. Honestly, who knows if it worked lol. I just hit the reset button and like a second later it said successful. You can't track this in iDrive so I don't know how you would be able to verify if it worked or not.....or if you even need to do it in the first place since the car doesn't through any messages if you replace your battery
Attached Images

03-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #255
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
I just installed the OEM alarm on my prewired 08 M3 w/ Idrive. Can this app code my car to activate the alarm?
      03-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #256
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:
I just did it today on my friend's car. Honestly, who knows if it worked lol. I just hit the reset button and like a second later it said successful. You can't track this in iDrive so I don't know how you would be able to verify if it worked or not.....or if you even need to do it in the first place since the car doesn't through any messages if you replace your battery
I used the BMW ISTA/D tool and this is the exact message I got when I registered the new battery. So the BMWhat battery registration worked.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 03:20 PM   #257
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
How come the previously registered battery information is missing? I thought there will be a history of battery changes and the duty cycle.
      03-31-2015, 12:27 PM   #258
bluehydros
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 AW E90 M3

Has anyone confirmed or tried coding LCI tail light retrofit on an E92 with this app on iOS?

I've set the following to:
  • FRM: Braking lights voltage monitoring 1/2 - Not Active
  • FRM: Braking lights voltage monitoring 2/2 - Not Active
  • FRM: Braking lights warning - Not Active
  • FRM: Tail lights voltage monitoring 1/2 - Not Active
  • FRM: Tail lights voltage monitoring 2/2 - Not Active
  • FRM: Reversing lights voltage monitoring 1/2 - Not Active
  • FRM: Reversing lights voltage monitoring 2/2 - Not Active

Am I missing anything else?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #259
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, perfect.

Also, for all of you considering purchasing the BMWhat wifi iOS adapter, by April/May there is a new model coming out.

Here is the email I rec'd from Arian:

"Hello XXXX,

We will release a new adapter for iOS in April/May of 2015. The new adapter will substitute the current WIFI Adapter for iPhone/iPad."

Last edited by buddalun; 04-04-2015 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #260
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also, here is the link to the updated adapter:

http://us3.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...&id=6084af0552

I sent Arian another email to determine whether the new adapter will include battery registration at no cost, or if it will be a $50 add-on upgrade like the current adapter. Results to follow.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 07:29 AM   #261
BillK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 11 M3, 15 X5d, 20 X2

????? Why do you say that the vgate works if you also admit you couldn't make a good connection?
I tried the vgate and connection was spotty. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I think the more complex functions dont work reliably with it. I wouldn't recommend it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacartus View Post
I asked the developer this via email today. I'll post his reply.

I programmed my wife's 2010 328 today with the engine running and it appeared to work without issue (thanks for saying it worked for you, I would not have tried it). Yesterday I was not able to get it to recognize the ECUs and I'm wondering if the battery was not strong enough or if I made some other connection mistake (maybe I didn't connect when it was in ignition 2 -- fob in dash and start pressed)...can't remember.

I can also concur that the Vgate iCar iV350 WiFi ELM327 from Amazon works, like others have confirmed.

- Ian
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 03:19 PM   #262
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Have not had any spotty connection issues with my vgate lately. I think there may have been a cross compatibility issue early on that was resolved by an app update, because I did have some trouble connecting once or twice a year+ ago, but not recently.
      04-05-2015, 11:29 PM   #263
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3
Quote:
How come the previously registered battery information is missing? I thought there will be a history of battery changes and the duty cycle.
Well this was the first time he changed the battery. I'm not sure how the system tracks there opus batteries. I actually pressed the button a few times because I wasn't sure if the reset went through or not. You'd think that after you press it the second time it would register a previous battery since it would count the first reset as the previous battery but it didn't.
      04-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #264
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

FYI,

The new iOS Wifi adapter has been released by iViNi. Unfortunately the battery registration feature will still need to be purchased separately.

Email from Arian:
"All In-Apps are purchased separately, regardless of the adapter in use."
Appreciate 0