BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Can CF roof safely be removed from pillars, for swap?

I’ve got the opportunity to acquire an oem carbon fiber roof for a heck of a good deal, but of course it will still be attached to the pillars from the donor car. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with removing the roof without doing damage to it. Thanks!
Oh, and before anyone chimes in about how expensive this swap will be, I’ve already got prices from my glass guy about removal of glass, which I am already planning to do windshield swap due to 80k worth of small pits I am sick of looking at.
I am planning to drill out factory welds prior to handing the car over to my body guy for the removal of old roof, and install of cf roof.
I would just glue the roof in myself, but I would rather have a warranty on the fitment and seal.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Is your car a non CF roof? I would think that the shop that does the actual install for you would have better idea of how to remove the old one?
      03-14-2018, 04:30 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoChris View Post
I’ve got the opportunity to acquire an oem carbon fiber roof for a heck of a good deal, but of course it will still be attached to the pillars from the donor car. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with removing the roof without doing damage to it. Thanks!
Oh, and before anyone chimes in about how expensive this swap will be, I’ve already got prices from my glass guy about removal of glass, which I am already planning to do windshield swap due to 80k worth of small pits I am sick of looking at.
I am planning to drill out factory welds prior to handing the car over to my body guy for the removal of old roof, and install of cf roof.
I would just glue the roof in myself, but I would rather have a warranty on the fitment and seal.
*IND* => http://ind-style.com/ind-installs-an...on-fiber-roof/

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I think Lang Racing does E90 CF roofs as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

cut?
      03-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #6
Mterested
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoChris View Post
it will still be attached to the pillars from the donor car. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with removing the roof without doing damage to it.

This isn't helpful since I don't have suggestions. There is a reason the roof is still attached to the old pillars. It is tough to remove without damage. The CF roof is attached by epoxy and being able to heat it up enough to break the bond without warping the roof panel will be difficult. I just had my CF roof replaced with a brand new OEM panel. I requested that the body shop give my old roof back to me, but they said they had to cut it out. I think cutting it just helped ease the process, but the shop still had to remove the old epoxy in order to emplace the new roof.

I'm also assuming that you currently have a steel roof if you are drilling out the factory welds. The CF roof will require some additional support and will be affixed with a $800 glue gun and about $2700 worth of epoxy (certified shop with insurance claim rates).
Appreciate 1
Theodore668.50
      03-18-2018, 01:21 AM   #7
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Thanks everyone for chiming in with your suggestions.
Appreciate 0