BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

EXXEL Distributions

12-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
E92AXM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thinking about getting PS3

Main reason being is to play games online. Im clueless about how to setup up the online though . Do u just plug it in and it works, or do i need to go buy some wifi adapter and shit? Is the wired modem and router in my house ok? Do i need wireless etc. 0hh and for enyone that has one can u chime on the quality of the online gaming.. All comments appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
phatr1s
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
If you have Wireless (Wi-Fi) in your house you can connect your PS3 the set up is like your computer, if you want to connect to your router then you need an ethernet cable.
You need to create an account with Playstation, this is done from the set up menu.
The onlien game all depends from who own the servers but pretty much the quality is good.
      12-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
marty_mcfly
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

no dont. get a xbox 360
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

360+wifi adapter = win.

PS3+anything = fail.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #5
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
360+wifi adapter = win.

PS3+anything = fail.
Red Ring of Death = FAIL!

PS3's BLURAY FTW!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by endofanera7 View Post
Red Ring of Death = FAIL!

PS3's BLURAY FTW!
thats the ONLY thing that PS3 guys ever say. Xbox Live is far superior to Playstation Network. there are so many better games available for the 360. the interface is also much better than the PS3s, especially now with the New Xbox Experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

What games does PS3 really have besides Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo series?

*chirp chirp*

Who needs Blu-Ray? I mean seriously...do you really BUY blu-ray DVDs?

about 23% of PS3 owners don't even know they have a Blu-ray player and only about <10% of market purchases blu-ray DVDs
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:34 PM   #8
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
What games does PS3 really have besides Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo series?

*chirp chirp*

Who needs Blu-Ray? I mean seriously...do you really BUY blu-ray DVDs?

about 23% of PS3 owners don't even know they have a Blu-ray player and only about <10% of market purchases blu-ray DVDs
Yeah .. you don't sound bias ..

You sure sound ignorant though.. and yes, people buy and rent bluerays. The quality IS superior. After watching blueray dvds, I won't buy or rent a normal dvd.. prices are a bit higher, but they will come down. Just like all new technology. You get an all in one system that plays games, bluerays, browses the web, and allows you to play online without paying a monthly fee. It's the best blueray player on the market.. I know two people who bought it for the blueray alone and don't even own games. A blueray player alone will cost you at least $250. Where did you get those percentile facts from? very curious ..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #9
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdblU View Post

You sure sound ignorant though..
ignorant? I'm stating statistics my friend...if you want I'll pull up the fact sheets right now. Bottom line, Sony made an expensive gaming platform with fewer successful titles than the Xbox360. Just THIS holiday season, the 360 sales were easily 3 times as many as PS3. Also, most consumers prefer to buy normal DVDs than Blu-ray because they don't want to pay $25+ for a movie...
Yes the quality is FAR superior...but again, you can't base it solely on your wants/views...being objective encompasses views of the consumer and that shows that 90% of consumers are still purchasing normal DVDs...

edit: let me get you my sources...

edit2: at my work email, I'll link you tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #10
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

the bottom line is..........which one can be chipped to play free games
      12-16-2008, 11:51 PM   #11
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y View Post
the bottom line is..........which one can be chipped to play free games
360ftw

p.s. it's a flash...hehe
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:54 PM   #12
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

You sure sound ignorant though.. and yes, people buy and rent bluerays. The quality IS superior. After watching blueray dvds, I won't buy or rent a normal dvd.. prices are a bit higher, but they will come down. Just like all new technology. You get an all in one system that plays games, bluerays, browses the web, and allows you to play online without paying a monthly fee. It's the best blueray player on the market.. I know two people who bought it for the blueray alone and don't even own games. A blueray player alone will cost you at least $250. Where did you get those percentile facts from? very curious ..
dont bash him on his facts when you dont even have yours straight, moron. xbox live isnt a monthly service. its roughly $50 a year for gold membership.

you must have some stupid friends if they bought a PS3 simply for the blu-ray player. if what you say is true, they spent hundreds more on a PS3 when they could have bought a blu-ray player for ~$250. to shit even more on your parade, the PS3 isnt the best blu-ray player on the market. as new stand-alone players release, the PS3 will only fall farther and farther behind. http://www.dvdtown.com/news/playstat...u-can-buy/5380
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:56 PM   #13
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

lol, I didn't want to bash him outright....but thanks.

I'm a big sony fan, but PS3 just had FAIL written all over it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:18 AM   #14
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

i got yo back. it makes it a lot easier when the person im calling out fails throughout their post.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:32 AM   #15
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:

I love my PS3 . It has amazing graphics and the type of games that I play (racing).
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:37 AM   #16
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
I love my PS3 . It has amazing graphics and the type of games that I play (racing).
no doubt the gaming aspects (graphics, sound) are top-notch, the PS3 is a great console; but the 360 has it beat in overall value and performance imo
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 03:09 AM   #17
AJayE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
ive owned Xbox 360 since its been released

i recently purchased a PS3 (got a sick deal on Black Friday) and honestly. i prefer it in almost every Aspect EXCEPT for the online... LACKING

But besides that, its QUIETER, Usually less Loading Times (EVEN ON SAME MULTI PLATFORM GAME SUCH AS DEVIL MAY CRY 4, And Soul Calibur IV)
- And The Graphics Do Look More Crisp Since it Has capacity to 1080p

I love Xbox, Im an Extreme GOW and GOW2 Fan, and the online experience is BAR NONE, especially with the new Netflix Association it has..

but PS3 does NOT have the acknowledgement it deserves, once it starts tapping into the cells that it has, on games like FFXIII (due at end of 09) and Such, it will catch up in the market

But..

Why not just have both?? Now i dont think i could be without Either that I Have both

i have all 3 current systems, and all 3 have their own aspects.

[JBE92335i]www.youtube.com/italiombiano
[Black Dakota Leather] [ZSP] [ZPP] [AA Xede] [iconz 830Z] [9500i]
[CF Kidney Grilles] [CF Vorsteiner PD Hood] [M-tech Sides] [Custom AngelEyes]
[Aero Lip] [Painted Reflectors/lowergrilles] [AC/S Roof Spoiler]
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 07:04 AM   #18
E92AXM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I actually have a 360 core right now . I got it when they first came out but i have a freind who will buy it for 200 with my games , remotes, etc. But the way i calculated it out is if i ended up buying a hardrive , wireless G router , then xbox live . It would end up costing me more money then the ps3. As for the games id get the same 3 on both systems lol . So thats my real dilemma at hand . Any more words of encouragement?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #19
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
dont bash him on his facts when you dont even have yours straight, moron. xbox live isnt a monthly service. its roughly $50 a year for gold membership.

you must have some stupid friends if they bought a PS3 simply for the blu-ray player. if what you say is true, they spent hundreds more on a PS3 when they could have bought a blu-ray player for ~$250. to shit even more on your parade, the PS3 isnt the best blu-ray player on the market. as new stand-alone players release, the PS3 will only fall farther and farther behind. http://www.dvdtown.com/news/playstat...u-can-buy/5380
You sound like you're about to cry .. does calling me a moron make you feel better about yourself and your precious xbox?

Yea I made a mistake saying it was a monthly fee, I knew it was annually.. dunno why I said that it was monthly. Regardless, there is a fee. His "facts" sound a lot more outlandish then the mistake I made saying it was a monthly fee. He pulled some numbers out of his ass. PS3 has also been known as the best blue ray player for quite sometime now.

Big deal, you found ONE article saying it is not the best blue ray player.. you believe everything you read? Even if the Panasonic player is superior, it probably costs $400 alone ( Going to find the exact price and call me a moron now? ) As for the PS3 falling further behind in the blueray department, well that's what happens with ALL technology and you can't escape it. Your points are moot.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #20
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You sound like you're about to cry .. does calling me a moron make you feel better about yourself and your precious xbox?

Yea I made a mistake saying it was a monthly fee, I knew it was annually.. dunno why I said that it was monthly. Regardless, there is a fee. His "facts" sound a lot more outlandish then the mistake I made saying it was a monthly fee. He pulled some numbers out of his ass. PS3 has also been known as the best blue ray player for quite sometime now.

Big deal, you found ONE article saying it is not the best blue ray player.. you believe everything you read? Even if the Panasonic player is superior, it probably costs $400 alone ( Going to find the exact price and call me a moron now? ) As for the PS3 falling further behind in the blueray department, well that's what happens with ALL technology and you can't escape it. Your points are moot.
yeah, im about to cry at how much of a monumental jackass you are. as far as me believing everything i read; how the fuck can you claim that the PS3 "has been known as the best blue ray player for quite sometime now"? have you used every blu-ray player in the world? chances are that youre basing that statement off a review or article you read. my precious xbox? really now? you make it sound as if i condemn the PS3 as a shit machine. however, if you actually read the thread like a good little boy, youll notice i actual compliment it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiNiStErE92 View Post
I actually have a 360 core right now . I got it when they first came out but i have a freind who will buy it for 200 with my games , remotes, etc. But the way i calculated it out is if i ended up buying a hardrive , wireless G router , then xbox live . It would end up costing me more money then the ps3. As for the games id get the same 3 on both systems lol . So thats my real dilemma at hand . Any more words of encouragement?
from your original post, its apparent that online is the primary feature you want. heres an important question: which console do most of your friends or people youre hoping to play with, own? it wouldnt make sense to buy either console - then be stuck playing with randoms. personally, since the new xbox experience came out a month or so ago, i find xbox live to be far more rewarding than playstation network. the online interface is so great, especially if you have a good amount of friends on. its hard to argue that any online is better than that of xbox live. im not being biased, either. im just stating what i think after using both online networks.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #21
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
xbox 360 ftw

I bought my ps3 8 months ago and I've only played it one time. Ill sell you mine

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #22
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

here is a quality comparison, and still working on that source for the statistics...

For those that say PS3 looks better than the 360...here are the FACTS

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6201700/index.html

You'll notice in the fallout screenshots, the 360 has reflections of the bridge...most of the 360 shots look much crisper DESPITE the fact that the PS3 has the Nvidia 7800 GX2 chip inside of it. ATi just came out through these comparisons...
Soul CaliburIV shows the PS3 with more contrast, but no particles...
Deadspace shows the PS3, again, with more contrast, subtle objects not seen..but it may be the game
Star Wars: force unleashed again shows the fuzziness of the reflections...generally looks much softer, less detailed ground..
madden09 I prefer the PS3 renderings...as well as the MK vs DC universe(high contrast looks better in this game)...
you can make the rest of the observations, just pointing out what I saw...

I'm a big fan of Nvidia and have gone through most if not all of their chipsets (except the 9-series...heap of crap) and they haven't let me down, so when I saw the comparison I was surprised. Again, looks are subjective but this is an objective comparison, so make your choice...
Appreciate 0