BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
wantam3
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

A couple of questions from a newbie...iDrive Tv & Side Mirrors

Morning Fellas,

Yes I have used the search extensively, and yes I have found an answer to one of my questions that I was going to put in here, but 2 of them, I haven't.

A bit of background - I have a 2007 m3 UK import now on the roads in AUS

The first is regarding the iDrive, I have found that my iDrive is slightly different from my parents (My Parents drive a Build year 2008 M3 - AUS)
& I am not sure if I am either:
Doing something wrong - (most likely)
Or missing something

I don't seem to have a TV function on my M - do all post 2007 M's have the ability to watch TV? is this a system upgrade I will need because its a UK import?, or an 'extra' that is added on? I would greatly appreciate some feedback in this as I am wracking my brains on this. Oh and I'm aware you can only watch TV while the car is stationary

Also the music question everyone has in the beginning - (This is for all pre 2010 owners) question what do you guys use? I know most people would stream music from their phones to the car - do you use Bluetooth systems hooked up to the USB? Interested in some ideas here - I have looked extensively & just interested in what the Aussie guys do here?

Finally a question regarding the side mirrors - My Left side Mirror doesn't seem to move when I press the button to tuck them in - there is no motor noise or anything - which makes me think that its just simply stopped working & is a motor issue, has anyone had this problem before? Fixes? I would ideally like to do this myself & not take it to a dealership

Thanks heaps in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
netgun
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantam3 View Post
Morning Fellas,

Yes I have used the search extensively, and yes I have found an answer to one of my questions that I was going to put in here, but 2 of them, I haven't.

A bit of background - I have a 2007 m3 UK import now on the roads in AUS

The first is regarding the iDrive, I have found that my iDrive is slightly different from my parents (My Parents drive a Build year 2008 M3 - AUS)
& I am not sure if I am either:
Doing something wrong - (most likely)
Or missing something

I don't seem to have a TV function on my M - do all post 2007 M's have the ability to watch TV? is this a system upgrade I will need because its a UK import?, or an 'extra' that is added on? I would greatly appreciate some feedback in this as I am wracking my brains on this. Oh and I'm aware you can only watch TV while the car is stationary

Also the music question everyone has in the beginning - (This is for all pre 2010 owners) question what do you guys use? I know most people would stream music from their phones to the car - do you use Bluetooth systems hooked up to the USB? Interested in some ideas here - I have looked extensively & just interested in what the Aussie guys do here?

Finally a question regarding the side mirrors - My Left side Mirror doesn't seem to move when I press the button to tuck them in - there is no motor noise or anything - which makes me think that its just simply stopped working & is a motor issue, has anyone had this problem before? Fixes? I would ideally like to do this myself & not take it to a dealership

Thanks heaps in advance
Hi,

Your M3 isn't an LCI (facelift) model since it was made prior to Sept 2008. I'm guessing your parents have a later 2008 model which has the newer iDrive controller with additional buttons besides the Menu button and a smaller joystick controller versus the large silver one on yours? The later CIC Navigation system is also much more advanced and stores maps on a hard disk drive rather than use a DVD and uses a higher resolution screen.

TV is not a standard standard option. Also if it did have TV, being a UK import is would be setup for British TV standards which I believe differ from the Australian ones.

Folding mirrors are also an option but you say you have the button but only one folds in. I'd say there is a fault here unless it's possible to code the car to only fold one mirror.

There's a few good reasons why the UK personal imports tend to be cheaper. A lack of verifiable history is the big one.

Also you cannot bluetooth stream music. You will need to use the USB or AUX connector inside the centre console armrest.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
wantam3
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the Reply Matt, appreciate it! some follow up questions if I will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netgun View Post
Hi,

Your M3 isn't an LCI (facelift) model since it was made prior to Sept 2008. I'm guessing your parents have a later 2008 model which has the newer iDrive controller with additional buttons besides the Menu button and a smaller joystick controller versus the large silver one on yours? The later CIC Navigation system is also much more advanced and stores maps on a hard disk drive rather than use a DVD and uses a higher resolution screen.
Matt
Thanks Matt, The systems are exactly the same in this regard, with the same single silver controller, so this isn't it

Quote:
TV is not a standard standard option. Also if it did have TV, being a UK import is would be setup for British TV standards which I believe differ from the Australian ones. Matt
This is interesting - i'm sure this is most probably the reason why, but the 'TV option' doesn't even come up. which is what I am interested in, it probably wasn't optioned in, by the sounds of things - which is fine, not much TV watching going to be happening! I think the original owner made the right choice then with the CarbonRoof. If it 'does' have the option, im sure its programmable to Australia with lots of time & $$$

Quote:
Folding mirrors are also an option but you say you have the button but only one folds in. I'd say there is a fault here unless it's possible to code the car to only fold one mirror.Matt
Does anyone know if there is an option to make just one fold in in the iDrive? Or anyone heard of having just a single folding mirror option? I dont want to break the mirror off trying to make it fold! but pressing the button makes only one of the mirrors fold in.

Quote:
There's a few good reasons why the UK personal imports tend to be cheaper. A lack of verifiable history is the big one.Matt
This is true for virtually any 2nd hand car you buy & I can get the Spec information from the UK if needed - the world is a much smaller place now

Quote:
Also you cannot bluetooth stream music. You will need to use the USB or AUX connector inside the centre console armrest.Matt
Yes you can. there are various ways around this & I am interested in ways other people have done it in AUS - (Bluetooth receiver etc)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Hmm the non folding mirror issue seems weird...

All I can think of is the motor is playing up, or the previous owner smashed the mirror and replaced it with a non folding type?

Have you attempted to disassemble it to have a look?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Soon after Mercedes released the C63 in Australia, to remain competitive price wise, BMW made most features that were standard in the early releases optional. By doing this, BMW was able to drop the price. Things like M drive etc became optional, and that included TV function too. I have a 2007 car, one of the first lot to arrive here, and the only option I could add were, the extended leather, 19" wheels, individual sound system, climate windscreen, and rear blinds. Everything else was standard.

But in the UK market most items are optional and that includes TV function too, hence the reason you don't have it. Even if you had it, you wouldn't have an issue in Australia because it's a DAB tuner, and any issues could have been solved with software update or swapping a couple of wires.

Bluetooth audio streaming became available with CIC and '09 onwards.

What I would suggest is that you do a CIC retrofit through Bimmer-Tech or BPM Sport and all your concerns and wants and needs will be resolved. It will set you back around $3500 and you will get a lot of features.

Good luck with the car.
      12-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
wantam3
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Hmm the non folding mirror issue seems weird...

All I can think of is the motor is playing up, or the previous owner smashed the mirror and replaced it with a non folding type?

Have you attempted to disassemble it to have a look?
Yeah, I asked him about it, he didn't even know the mirrors folded in - never used them. so its probably just a seized motor or something.

Thanks mate, Ill put it apart at some point soon & take a good look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Soon after Mercedes released the C63 in Australia, to remain competitive price wise, BMW made most features that were standard in the early releases optional. By doing this, BMW was able to drop the price. Things like M drive etc became optional, and that included TV function too. I have a 2007 car, one of the first lot to arrive here, and the only option I could add were, the extended leather, 19" wheels, individual sound system, climate windscreen, and rear blinds. Everything else was standard.
This is gold, just what I needed, thanks for this mate, really appreciate it. Makes sense, looks like its an option he didn't put into the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
What I would suggest is that you do a CIC retrofit through Bimmer-Tech or BPM Sport and all your concerns and wants and needs will be resolved. It will set you back around $3500 and you will get a lot of features.

Good luck with the car.
Thanks mate I dont know if I want to fork out that much for a total system upgrade, but there must be a software update they could do, its basically a computer - any idea if you can update a systems software? Anything I could do personally?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=257489
is showing people actually getting just a software update, anyone here had it done?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantam3 View Post
Thanks mate I dont know if I want to fork out that much for a total system upgrade, but there must be a software update they could do, its basically a computer - any idea if you can update a systems software? Anything I could do personally?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=257489
is showing people actually getting just a software update, anyone here had it done?
What you have in your car is CCC-DVD based system and you need to upgrade to CIC-HDD based system. I don't think this can be done via sofware upgrade given two different architectures.
      12-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
wantam3
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Fair enough,
thanks anyway mate, appreciate it.
Appreciate 0