BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

09-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

radio not working this morning... any help?

woke up and went out the door for work... plugged my iphone in to the aux plug-in. power was on for the stereo, power was on for my iphone and confirmed volumes were up on each. confirmed the stereo was on AUX and the iphone was actually playing music...

no sound coming from the speakers. i ejected and reinserted a cd to see if that would prompt the cd player to work... nothing. it stayed on auxiliary and did not switch over to cd (i have no idrive).

when i hit the 'audio' button on the stereo and select cd or radio or aux it does not change to the selected option. it stays on auxiliary or momentarily (less than a second) flashes the screen for the radio or cd and reverts straight back to the aux input but still plays no sound.

I turned the car off at a stop light for a few seconds and restarted. nothing.

anyone experience this?

anyone have a solution rather than me wasting a day at the dealership?
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
E90414M
E90414M
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92

Mine has gone deaf as well!!

Had the same thing happen to me yesterday, 9/24. I just picked up a 2011 e93 and was using the ipod connection for the first time. The car has 200 miles on it. ipod played for about 15 minutes and suddenly cut out. Since then, I hear no sound from anything (radio, cds, bluetooth audio, etc.) not even the gong warning me that I am not wearing my seat belt.

I even tried using the phone through the bluetooth and the sound did not come through the speakers. Though the person on the other end heard me, so the mics are still working.

I sure hope this is not a contagious electronics problem in this car, I have learned from experience that these problems are very contagious to other parts of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
E90414M
E90414M
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92

Dealership called today and said they checked all wire connections and found no issues. They "reprogrammed" the car and still no sound. Tech reached out to the "engineers" and they have authorized an AMP replacement. Part should be coming in Wed/Thur and they said it should do the trick... For now, it's a Kia Sorento ! Disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
JJM335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
I had this happen several times over the last 3 years until it finally occurred within a few miles of my dealership. I drove up and showed my service adviser. The fix was a combination of a new amp and a software update.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJM335 View Post
I had this happen several times over the last 3 years until it finally occurred within a few miles of my dealership. I drove up and showed my service adviser. The fix was a combination of a new amp and a software update.
me thinks it was the software upgrade that fixed it
because i have the same issue
and i am not using the OEM amp
and once when it happened i plugged in my ipod straight into the amp
and i could hear sound fine
so i knew the headunit was not sending out any signal
sometimes i also fix it by changing sources
i turn it on at tuner
and no sound
i switch to USb and lo and behold
sound!
      09-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

weird thing for me is i within the last 1000 miles had a service appointment and they did the software update then. prior to the update there was no errors or issues at any time. the even more strange part was that after i let my car sit at work all day i came back out to find that it had begun working again...

since the 19th when i posted I have been unable to replicate the problem so my SA thinks im special as hell im sure.
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90414M View Post
I even tried using the phone through the bluetooth and the sound did not come through the speakers.
That happened to me just once, when car was fairly new. Everything worked perfectly (all audio sources, bluetooth, nav, etc); just no sound at all, even gongs. Next ignition cycle everything was back to normal, and never an issue again. Weird. Oh, and this is an '08 built on 06/08 with enhanced audio... which already had the improved cooled amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJM335 View Post
The fix was a combination of a new amp and a software update.
Good to know, in case it ever happens again. Or should I say if it ever becomes permanent? Dealers don't do squat unless they can reproduce the issue . I've had several such electronic gremlins just once, so not too worried about them. But not too confidence inspiring after warranty either . Still 1-1/2 years to go though. Good day.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E90 M3 6MT

For whomever had this problem, do you still get the "gong" sound? It comes from the audio system - not sure if it comes from the headunit, but it does go through the OEM or aftermarket amp.
      09-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
For whomever had this problem, do you still get the "gong" sound? It comes from the audio system - not sure if it comes from the headunit, but it does go through the OEM or aftermarket amp.
good question - in all honesty i had not paid enough attention to notice if it did or not. i would presume not but will update the thread if i can replicate this problem once more.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
For whomever had this problem, do you still get the "gong" sound?
Nope in my case. And OP also said no to that. Total silence... except the rattles, creaks, and wind/road noise .
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #11
09E92M34ME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I had the same problem this morning. I hope it works when I go back out to start my car. Any TSB on this problem that anyone can point me to?
09 E92 M3,AW/FR. MODS:Performane Kidney Grills,Side Gills,Exhaust Tips,BMW Performance Pedals,359 Satin Black GTS Wheels,275/35/19R & 255/35/19F PSS's,Dinan Stage I Suspension,Macht Schnell Spacers 12mmF,5mmR,Rear Fogs,Euphoria 6k,LCI Tails,LUX v3,OEM IND Painted Alpine White CF Performance Spoiler, Front Splitters, and Front Reflectors,Gloss Black Hood Vents,M Performance Steering Wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #12
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Nope in my case. And OP also said no to that. Total silence... except the rattles, creaks, and wind/road noise .
Same here.. just happened when my car came out of the shop. Fried amp?
      04-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Update: for anyone coming across this problem, the issue was a blown amplifier. For me this problem occurred while the car was in the shop; I imagine hooking the amp up while the battery was connected, or something of that nature.

Officially known as "no warning tones". No sound, no gong, no music, no voice.
      05-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
E90toM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E93

I have the same problem (almost) ... the radio work intermittently and only display the time and date. Once it stop working, only the eject and power buttons work (next time I will try to see if the gong works). I took out the radio and notice that it was hot to the touch. A different radio was immediately put in after that and it work just fine. Anyone have the same experience? Do I have a defective radio?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #15
magas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6

This exact thing happened to me. Hopefully the radio will work tomorrow. I started the car and no sound. I was using Aux as its set to my Bluetooth. I tried to change to CD or Radio and the screen would flicker and divert back to AUX almost immediately.
Anyone else deal with this?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #16
MSteve5036
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08/99 M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by magas View Post
This exact thing happened to me. Hopefully the radio will work tomorrow. I started the car and no sound. I was using Aux as its set to my Bluetooth. I tried to change to CD or Radio and the screen would flicker and divert back to AUX almost immediately.
Anyone else deal with this?
I have an 08 with 33k miles and this just happened to me. Ironically the day after it was at the shop for an inspection. Didn't notice if the gong didn't play, but it would not play through aux or let me switch off of aux.

Will report back once I know more

UPDATE: Turned my car on and everything worked fine. Still might head to the shop tomorrow so they can see if any codes come up

Last edited by MSteve5036; 06-14-2017 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0