BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

06-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

OEM Alarm Malfunction - In Germany on ED!

hello all.

I picked up my car from the welt today, and pretty much immediately headed out of munich and am currently in stuttgart.

Now I am having a problem with the OEM alarm system and/or comfort access.

when i get out of the car, close all the doors (hood, trunk, gas lid) and hit the lock button on the FOB or the door (comfort access), the alarm starts to go off.

If i place the key FOB right next to the driver or passenger window and hit lock on the fob, it locks fine, and the alarm does not go off. Or, if i leave the passenger door open and hit the lock button on the key while sticking the key in the passenger area it also locks fine, without the alarm going off.

any ideas on what the problem may be and/or how I can fix this?

really a pain to try and get a dealer in europe to look at it since I don't have much time on this trip.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
hello all.

I picked up my car from the welt today, and pretty much immediately headed out of munich and am currently in stuttgart.

Now I am having a problem with the OEM alarm system and/or comfort access.

when i get out of the car, close all the doors (hood, trunk, gas lid) and hit the lock button on the FOB or the door (comfort access), the alarm starts to go off.

If i place the key FOB right next to the driver or passenger window and hit lock on the fob, it locks fine, and the alarm does not go off. Or, if i leave the passenger door open and hit the lock button on the key while sticking the key in the passenger area it also locks fine, without the alarm going off.

any ideas on what the problem may be and/or how I can fix this?

really a pain to try and get a dealer in europe to look at it since I don't have much time on this trip.

Thanks.
Sounds like the interior motion detector is triggering. If you arm the alarm with you in the car (fob close to the window might just be close enough) or have a door open when locking the motion detector is disabled. My best guess.
      06-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

It could be the battery in the FOB. Does it seem to work from about ten feet away from the car?

If it is the motion sensor, you can hit the lock button twice to deactivate it.
      06-30-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep

///m - it is the opposite of what you say. When the key fob is near the window, the locks and alarm activate correctly (though I think there is still no flashing on the clown nose). If the car is locked from farther away that is when the alarm siren will start blaring.

As for the battery in the fob possibly being the problem, I can't see that being the problem. The car is now just 2 days old, so the fob has had absolute minimal use. Also, the problem occurs with both of the fobs.

I have an appointment with the dealership in heidelberg tomorrow, but think it will result in mostly wasted time.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
///m - it is the opposite of what you say. When the key fob is near the window, the locks and alarm activate correctly (though I think there is still no flashing on the clown nose). If the car is locked from farther away that is when the alarm siren will start blaring.

As for the battery in the fob possibly being the problem, I can't see that being the problem. The car is now just 2 days old, so the fob has had absolute minimal use. Also, the problem occurs with both of the fobs.

I have an appointment with the dealership in heidelberg tomorrow, but think it will result in mostly wasted time.
We are saying the same thing. By holding the fob close when arming it must be close enough to being inside the car that the motion detector is not enabled. The fact that the clown nose doesn't flash is confirmation. No flashing means the alarm is not fully activated. If you are further away the alarm gets fully armed because there's no way you are close enough to fool the car into thinking that you might be in it when arming. The motion detector has a problem generating a false detection so when included in the arming process it results in the alarm going off. When excluded, as when arming from "inside" the car, it's not a problem.
      06-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
We are saying the same thing. By holding the fob close when arming it must be close enough to being inside the car that the motion detector is not enabled. The fact that the clown nose doesn't flash is confirmation. No flashing means the alarm is not fully activated. If you are further away the alarm gets fully armed because there's no way you are close enough to fool the car into thinking that you might be in it when arming. The motion detector has a problem generating a false detection so when included in the arming process it results in the alarm going off. When excluded, as when arming from "inside" the car, it's not a problem.
Oh I see what you are saying. That could make sense for sure. Not sure how to test it, and will probably cancel my appt in germany so not to waste time, so I will let vpc/dealership figure it out and fix it. But it will be a good suggestion for them.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

As far as the battery in the FOB, mine was nearly dead when it got back to the states. It may have been because it was in the car in transport or not full when it was installed into the FOB. The fact that both are doing the same thing indicates it is something else.

You should be able to lock the car and then hit lock again to disable the motion sensor. If the alarm is sounding as soon as you lock it, this probably won't work.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. Euro delivery is a fantastic experience.