BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

EXXEL Distributions

09-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325i

Akrapovic Evolution - quick review

Props to Andrew@Southern BM for putting up with my 1,000 questions and emails over this but he looked after me and arranged freight to Adelaide.

I had been looking into a good quality exhaust system for my E92 but as I had been "scarred" by previous experiences of overly loud or droney exhausts on previous cars I was reluctant to do anything that would compromise the quality of my car. My decision was made all the more difficult by the fact that there are no Akra dealers in Adelaide, nor to best of my knowledge, was there anyone who had an Akra exhaust on their car here where I could listen to. (As it turns out, there was someone else, but I found that out much later).

So I decided to do as much research as possible online by reading other people's reviews and watching about 500 youtube video clips. Based on this, I decided to take the plunge.

On the day of installation, I went down to the garage to check out the exhaust and was blown away by the weight - or lack of it. I lifted up the stock system and it felt like a concrete block in comparison. I had also read a lot about the build quality and workmanship of the Akra system and can confirm that it's like a work of art - a metallic work of art. It almost looks and feels too good to be used as an exhaust system, hidden away under the car where no-one can see it.

After installation, the mechanic started the engine and I heard a nice, deep bassy sound, but was pleasantly surprised to discover that it wasn't as loud as I thought. The idle note is actually quite similar to stock, just a bit more bass to it.

I had also ordered the Akra Delete-R module to eliminate CEL, as well as the carbon fibre tips, which look great on my AW car. Pics to follow.

So, the driving experience. The first thing that hits you when you drive is the noticeable roar. Once you get past 2K, there is a very definite roar that builds - subtle at first, but then becomes very obvious - and it sounds amazing. At higher revs, over 5K, the sound becomes more frenetic, much like the V8 Supercars, but not as loud. The pitch and tone is very similar to the said V8's, but at all times it retains a deep, yet not overly intrusive, roaring sound. And the bonus? No drone. I drove 170km on highway roads over the weekend at various speeds up to 130km/h and never once did I detect a drone.

The performance: The first few days, I didn't notice any real difference, but that was mainly suburban driving. I attributed this to the ECU relearning though, and after around 3 days I found that the car started to pull harder out of corners , especially in 2nd and 3rd. On the country drive that I did, I found the car feeling more effortless going up hills and that throttle response was slightly sharper. I feel that the car would greatly benefit from a tune, and this is planned at a later date.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
whyw8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP Jerez Black DCT

Southern BM FTW!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 03:11 AM   #3
Steven.ActiveMotorwerke
Active Motor
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Nice review mate.
I noticed my Akra exhaust will lose low end torque without tune.
But after the tune from SBM it's feeling more powerful than before.
Enjoy your ride then!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

How about the infamous torque dip that so many describe. Have you felt it at lower RPMs?

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Congrats mate, nice review. Hopefully in the near future when my car is sent back to Melbourne wil be able to come see what the Akra is like!
      09-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
cookdesk
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Interesting review - thanks.

I have just put the full innotech ipe f1 system on my car. With the valve closed it sounds perfect for city driving and normal use i.e. about as loud as stock but a better sound. With the valve open it is quite frankly insane... only usable in the country or at the track in reality.

I recent days (only driven 4/5 days since installation) I have also noticed a bit of a power bump and the car seems to shoot through the rev range a bit quicker.

I have ordered the Evolve tune so will let you know how that goes.

Carbon tips on AW car also for me...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

I'm glad you are happy with the product and achieved the result you were after. Thank you for your custom.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 02:53 AM   #8
Frozen Black
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2010 Frozen Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR M3 View Post
Props to Andrew@Southern BM for putting up with my 1,000 questions and emails over this but he looked after me and arranged freight to Adelaide.

I had been looking into a good quality exhaust system for my E92 but as I had been "scarred" by previous experiences of overly loud or droney exhausts on previous cars I was reluctant to do anything that would compromise the quality of my car. My decision was made all the more difficult by the fact that there are no Akra dealers in Adelaide, nor to best of my knowledge, was there anyone who had an Akra exhaust on their car here where I could listen to. (As it turns out, there was someone else, but I found that out much later).

So I decided to do as much research as possible online by reading other people's reviews and watching about 500 youtube video clips. Based on this, I decided to take the plunge.

On the day of installation, I went down to the garage to check out the exhaust and was blown away by the weight - or lack of it. I lifted up the stock system and it felt like a concrete block in comparison. I had also read a lot about the build quality and workmanship of the Akra system and can confirm that it's like a work of art - a metallic work of art. It almost looks and feels too good to be used as an exhaust system, hidden away under the car where no-one can see it.

After installation, the mechanic started the engine and I heard a nice, deep bassy sound, but was pleasantly surprised to discover that it wasn't as loud as I thought. The idle note is actually quite similar to stock, just a bit more bass to it.

I had also ordered the Akra Delete-R module to eliminate CEL, as well as the carbon fibre tips, which look great on my AW car. Pics to follow.

So, the driving experience. The first thing that hits you when you drive is the noticeable roar. Once you get past 2K, there is a very definite roar that builds - subtle at first, but then becomes very obvious - and it sounds amazing. At higher revs, over 5K, the sound becomes more frenetic, much like the V8 Supercars, but not as loud. The pitch and tone is very similar to the said V8's, but at all times it retains a deep, yet not overly intrusive, roaring sound. And the bonus? No drone. I drove 170km on highway roads over the weekend at various speeds up to 130km/h and never once did I detect a drone.

The performance: The first few days, I didn't notice any real difference, but that was mainly suburban driving. I attributed this to the ECU relearning though, and after around 3 days I found that the car started to pull harder out of corners , especially in 2nd and 3rd. On the country drive that I did, I found the car feeling more effortless going up hills and that throttle response was slightly sharper. I feel that the car would greatly benefit from a tune, and this is planned at a later date.
Who did the install in Adelaide?
      09-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

^ Adelaide BMW
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
sarddenso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I know this might sound weird, but can you run the Akra muffler without the tips installed?
What happens if you don't have them on?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep

This may help you?

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

I think its very much possible but why would you want to do this?? it'd look very ugly IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep

Actually, this shows the size of the pipe work better, see how the pipe is smaller and the tips really bulk it out.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarddenso View Post
I know this might sound weird, but can you run the Akra muffler without the tips installed?
What happens if you don't have them on?
Why? It looks stupid without the tips.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #15
sarddenso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

didn't realise the tips were that much larger than the pipe.
i didn't want such fat looking tips
do the tips contirbute to the sound?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #16
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

akra without tips is going to look very stupid.. I love my Akra evo carbon tips ... they look awesome!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #17
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Andrew pls PM price of slip on
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #18
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
akra without tips is going to look very stupid.. I love my Akra evo carbon tips ... they look awesome!
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #19
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

my car has an akra stage 2 ms intake aa pulley and the ess akra flash tune that southern bm did for me the tune makes the most power by far i think it pulls alot harder at all rpm and is much more smooth

its a waste not to get the tune to go with an akra!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #20
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
my car has an akra stage 2 ms intake aa pulley and the ess akra flash tune that southern bm did for me the tune makes the most power by far i think it pulls alot harder at all rpm and is much more smooth

its a waste not to get the tune to go with an akra!!!
Leigh, how do you find the pulley kit?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #21
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
Leigh, how do you find the pulley kit?
well when the pulley got put on it got the tune at the same time so its hard to say but the car revs quicker and thats why i wanted it so im very happy with everything
Appreciate 0