BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Guys I need help regarding a lien release!!

I baught an E92 M3 from guy local to me. Car only had 3000 miles on it, but seller couldnt make payments anymore. I already have the car since I paid him. Only problem is, he had a lien on the car and we paid it off with the money I gave him. We overnighted the check to them and paid for them to overnight the lien release back. The check was a certified banck check which cleared instantly. I just wanted to know how long it usually takes for them to send the lien release and if theres a quicker way for me to register the car. Any info would b great. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
I baught an E92 M3 from guy local to me. Car only had 3000 miles on it, but seller couldnt make payments anymore. I already have the car since I paid him. Only problem is, he had a lien on the car and we paid it off with the money I gave him. We overnighted the check to them and paid for them to overnight the lien release back. The check was a certified banck check which cleared instantly. I just wanted to know how long it usually takes for them to send the lien release and if theres a quicker way for me to register the car. Any info would b great. Thank you.
In my experence it could take two week's. I traded a car in for the new M3 and had a small loan on the old car.The dealer gave my bank a check the same day, but the bank took almost a week to get the lein release because it came from the banks home office where they keep their records, not the branch.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

It really depends on the bank/creditor. Was it done through BMW Financial services? From past experience, they're usually very good about taking care of such business in a timely manner, and so is Audi Financial. Car loans from banks can take longer depending on the bank. Example, I purchased a car a few years ago from a person with a lien from Chase and that took a lot longer than I expected.
      08-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

Yeah but I guess that was the time it took for the title to b mailed and shipped. My seller overnighted them the banck check and paid for them to overnight the lien release back top us.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

We overnighted a certified banck check to BMW Financial from chase bank, and chase banck and bmw are linked together therofre the check cleared instantly. Now im just trying to figure out how long it will take bmw to send the lien back. They received the check last thursday. I also heard there is a way to get a letter from bmw since they see the loan has been paid off and that allows me to register the car. Can anyone confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Quote:
Yeah but I guess that was the time it took for the title to b mailed and shipped. My seller overnighted them the banck check and paid for them to overnight the lien release back top us.
Not trying to defend the seller, but it's up to the bank, not he or she who sold you the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
We overnighted a certified banck check to BMW Financial from chase bank, and chase banck and bmw are linked together therofre the check cleared instantly. Now im just trying to figure out how long it will take bmw to send the lien back. They received the check last thursday. I also heard there is a way to get a letter from bmw since they see the loan has been paid off and that allows me to register the car. Can anyone confirm this?
I don't know about NY. My experience with MD MVA is that they will put the car in your name if the lending institution calls them or sends them a letter. IIRC it must still be followed up with the official piece of paper that they are looking for. I'd say check your motor vehicle department but in my experience they have always been lousy about answering questions -- holding on the line for hours, waiting in line for hours, sending you to someone else or to another department, etc. If NY is better at this then call 'em up. If not, don't waste your time if you'll be given the runaround.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting lien release real soon. It can take a couple or more weeks. Can you not get temporary tags? They should be good for a month more.

Good luck
      08-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

depends. not sure about NY, but a lot of states the DMV holds title and there's a delay between the bank receiving funds and contacting the DMV to send title and, of course, the DMV actually doing this. Also, some lenders will only send title to the seller, so hopefully you checked that out before hand or you may want to double check with seller that they haven't received it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
rmmcdaniel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3

I have done this twice paying off loans to Audi/VW Credit and they sent the title (with the notarized lien release) back to me via FedEx the day after they received my cashier's check to pay off the loan. I concur with earlier posts that it depends on the bank holding the title/lien and how well their internal business processes are with this. Audi/VW (and it sounds like BMW FS) have a very good system setup for this including the ability to initiate the process via their website and/or automated telephone system.
      08-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Did you try to call them?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #11
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
if everything is "local" do it in person...

I sold my deceased father-in-laws truck that he had a small loan on...buyer met me at the bank...gave the bank a check...me a check for the balance...bank released the lien...he went to the courthouse...got the title released...all done within a lunch hour...

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmcdaniel View Post
I have done this twice paying off loans to Audi/VW Credit and they sent the title (with the notarized lien release) back to me via FedEx the day after they received my cashier's check to pay off the loan. I concur with earlier posts that it depends on the bank holding the title/lien and how well their internal business processes are with this. Audi/VW (and it sounds like BMW FS) have a very good system setup for this including the ability to initiate the process via their website and/or automated telephone system.
it also depends on the state. sometimes the DMW will have it, so it's not really up to the lender. this happened to me with an infiniti recently.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #13
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

Ok guys, got incredible news. Basically I called up the title department of the DMV today, I told the lady my story, that the lien was being paid off etc, and she basically replied with the best news I could have possible heard. " U can still register the car today under ur name, doesnt matter that theres a lien " Once its paid off we give u back the title, or wsomething like that lol. I was soo excited i didnt even pay attention. So I went to the DMV still with doubts in my mind, but the whole process took less then 30 minutes and I left with registration and plates. Got my insurance earlier today. I was gonna ask her what I should do now since i took out a loan and i have to send my banck the title. But I figured let me not say anything before she takes the plates back lol. She kept the title tho, how am I supposed to send tnat to my bank?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #14
rmmcdaniel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms View Post
it also depends on the state. sometimes the DMW will have it, so it's not really up to the lender. this happened to me with an infiniti recently.
Good to know. Both of my instances were on cars registered in Illinois.