BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #45
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Wow, not too many actual New Yorkers chiming in... I've been working full time or part time in NYC for the last 8 years and can give some good info.

Steak houses in the city are phenomenal. Sparks is my favorite, period. Peter Lugers is excellent but the cash only thing is just annoying in 2011 and it's in Brooklyn which makes it slightly more difficult to get to - I'm not saying it's not an amazing steak house, the food is excellent but the logistics make it a slight annoyance. Smith & Wollensky follows that and the person who said it's the IHOP of steak couldn't be more wrong. DelFriscos is alright as well but I was only there once so don't take it as gospel.

Burgers are also solid in NY. My favorite place is burger joint in the Parker Meridian and Rare is also quite good.

For TexMex food I would go to El Rio Grande. The food is quite good but I go because they also have the strongest and IMO the best margaritas in the city. I still go to that place several times a year. Los Feliz has the best Mexican food in my experience but be $$ prepared - it ain't taco bell.

I'm shocked I haven't heard much about PIZZA in this thread. Little Italy on 43rd and Madison is great and there is another place of the same name on 45th between 5th and 6th that is also great - definitely walkable from Times Sq.

The bottom line on NYC food is that if you're waiting on an hour long line to get into a TGI Fridays or Olive Garden with the rest of the hayseeds just go home because you're doing it wrong.

Times Sq is definitely a trap for rubes - take one walk through but spend your time elsewhere. You could also save yourself a bundle by staying elsewhere but it's actually a nicely centralized location with respect to subway access.

Things to see:
Museums - Definitely hit the Met and the Frick is also pretty nice for just paintings but having been to the Guggenheim 3 times, I would recommend just skipping it.
Spend an afternoon walking around the financial district - it's the oldest part of the city and there's a tremendous amount of history tucked between the faceless Wall St facades (Trinity Church, Faunces Tavern, etc).
SoHo is a great neighborhood for shopping and someone already mentioned that Bleecker St is nice for the bar scene at night. Another solid bar area is Bedford St in Williamsburg Brooklyn.

I can go on and on but I'll cut it here... have fun and remember that your primary objective each morning should be to stay far away from Times Sq.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #46
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
Before you say anything, prepare to shut the fuck up.

/thread
Never said Luger's was bad, just not my style. The logistics post above nailed it. A PITA for not much additional reward.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #47
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Never said Luger's was bad, just not my style. The logistics post above nailed it. A PITA for not much additional reward.
never leave home without it.

My office is also like a 5 min drive from the place..
      07-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #48
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
CSV
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #49
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
never leave home without it.

My office is also like a 5 min drive from the place..
Yes, for you it might make total sense but for someone from out of town trying to go out for a nice dinner they'll have to jump through hoops to find an ATM that will shell out $500-1,000 then walk around NYC with that massive wad of cash. It's great food but it's definitely not convenient for infrequent customers. With Sparks right in midtown and happily accepting credit/debit cards you're hard pressed to find a real reason to make the trip.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #50
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
For TexMex food I would go to El Rio Grande. The food is quite good but I go because they also have the strongest and IMO the best margaritas in the city. I still go to that place several times a year. Los Feliz has the best Mexican food in my experience but be $$ prepared - it ain't taco bell.
If you have the margaritas on the rocks during happy hour be prepared to not remember the rest of your night!

Me and lots of current and ex collegues always celebrate promotions here...and 3 of those things will knock a big guy off his feet.
      07-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #51
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Also can we all agree luger Tomatoe and onions is def. not worth it?! Even with the steak sauce on it...

I go back soley for the bacon
      07-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #52
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeback1 View Post
Also can we all agree luger Tomatoe and onions is def. not worth it?! Even with the steak sauce on it...

I go back soley for the bacon

07-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #53
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Places I never fail to have a good time at:

smith & wollensky
ultimate pizza
ryan's daughter
dorian's

I was at Dorians Sat. night

Last edited by Quick6EF; 07-25-2011 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #54
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
I was at Dorians Sat. night
Hahah.. Dorian's is such a shit show. Should have said you were in town. I would have had a beer with you.
      07-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #55
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Dude we were all soo blacked out it would have been a sick night if we combined crews.

Shit show to say the least haha
      07-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #56
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
edit: shit show...not shit now...yea definitely some hazy recollections...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #57
F30.N54.lol
Tech
South Korea
Rep
Drives: M340 /GTR

Quote:

God damn you read my mind! First of if hes visitng NYC going to brooklyn isnt a logistic nightmare at all , second lugers is right off the williamsburg bridge and third there is plenty to see there and enjoy
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #58
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Wow, not too many actual New Yorkers chiming in... I've been working full time or part time in NYC for the last 8 years and can give some good info.

Steak houses in the city are phenomenal. Sparks is my favorite, period. Peter Lugers is excellent but the cash only thing is just annoying in 2011 and it's in Brooklyn which makes it slightly more difficult to get to - I'm not saying it's not an amazing steak house, the food is excellent but the logistics make it a slight annoyance. Smith & Wollensky follows that and the person who said it's the IHOP of steak couldn't be more wrong. DelFriscos is alright as well but I was only there once so don't take it as gospel.

Burgers are also solid in NY. My favorite place is burger joint in the Parker Meridian and Rare is also quite good.

I'm shocked I haven't heard much about PIZZA in this thread. Little Italy on 43rd and Madison is great and there is another place of the same name on 45th between 5th and 6th that is also great - definitely walkable from Times Sq.

The bottom line on NYC food is that if you're waiting on an hour long line to get into a TGI Fridays or Olive Garden with the rest of the hayseeds just go home because you're doing it wrong.

Times Sq is definitely a trap for rubes - take one walk through but spend your time elsewhere. You could also save yourself a bundle by staying elsewhere but it's actually a nicely centralized location with respect to subway access.

Things to see:
Museums - Definitely hit the Met and the Frick is also pretty nice for just paintings but having been to the Guggenheim 3 times, I would recommend just skipping it.
Spend an afternoon walking around the financial district - it's the oldest part of the city and there's a tremendous amount of history tucked between the faceless Wall St facades (Trinity Church, Faunces Tavern, etc).
SoHo is a great neighborhood for shopping and someone already mentioned that Bleecker St is nice for the bar scene at night. Another solid bar area is Bedford St in Williamsburg Brooklyn.

I can go on and on but I'll cut it here... have fun and remember that your primary objective each morning should be to stay far away from Times Sq.
Great! Thanks for the tips of what to possibly try.

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #59
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
I might go to NY for the first time on my birthday in October. Weather should be mild right New Yorkers? I can check the almanac or whatever but some local op would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #60
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Weather should be temperate in October.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #61
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep

September and October are the two best months in NYC. 2nd half of Oct is a crap shoot though. Might be cold, might be raining. September is my favorite month here.
      07-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #62
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yea, I was there in late Oct a couple years ago and it was like 50s but that's how I like it cuz I'M CHICAGO TOUGH

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #63
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I was in Chicago for my last birthday..been there a few times to your awesome city..and yeah it was pretty freakin cold..the first day...then just cool

Another newbie question..if im staying in Manhattan should i use la guardia or jfk?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #64
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
I was in Chicago for my last birthday..been there a few times to your awesome city..and yeah it was pretty freakin cold..the first day...then just cool

Another newbie question..if im staying in Manhattan should i use la guardia or jfk?
Newark... Lol..

Nah, it doesn't really matter. Imho, LaGuardia is closer but JFK allows you more Airline options.
      07-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #65
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Newark... Lol..

Nah, it doesn't really matter. Imho, LaGuardia is closer but JFK allows you more Airline options.
Ok i think ill use JFK cause its seems like the transport options are better...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #66
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
I might go to NY for the first time on my birthday in October. Weather should be mild right New Yorkers? I can check the almanac or whatever but some local op would be nice.
As mentioned already the weather is usually nice in Oct. Days are very light jacket and a nice chill in the air evenings. Not cold but enough to let you know the season is changing. If you can try to be here on Halloween. The City is electric that night. The West Village Halloween Parade should not be missed. Mardi Gras New York style!
Appreciate 0