BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

01-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #89
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Spent ages trying to bunny hop my bmx like that when I was a kid and he did it with only little kerb. So I was searching for a suitable meme and Google found this most relevant so had to post it of course.

"With great power comes great responsibility"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #90
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

^^^LOL^^^
      01-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #91
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Isn't that Peyton Manning on the bottom?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #92
njdrive
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaro View Post
Look at the replay, he did not have possession or all wheels on the ground when he went out of bounds.
      01-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #93
Jamaro
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Update:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/member.php?u=227943

After posting on his visitor message board: "Hey, how much to repair the damage?"

Member trinim3 changed his username to onatuesday and disabled his visitor messages.

Guess he's trying to go incognito. Did he crash on a Tuesday?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 06:20 AM   #94
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger SRT 392

Garage List
Not to be a jerk. But you know sh*t happens. I feel bad for the guy no matter what, at least it was his fault and nobody got hurt, hopefully he learned his lesson, if it could be avoided? Most likely. But his ego was hurt enough and his wallet is going to take a hit. Nobody gets away with that without damaging suspension and steering plus rims. But if he really got lucky all he needs is an alignment if again he was that lucky.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #95
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

This gen M3/4 will go down as the worst ever sounding bmw. They cannot possibly repeat that bad.

That 20 sec video says it all. No linear power delivery, steepest part of the power curve all under 3000 rpm, already flattening out at 5,000 rpm, inverted peaky V torque curve peaking at 4000rpm mistakenly mated to RWD.

There are evolutionaly mistake in cars gen too. This car is a freak DODO trying to take a flight

The driver did fine, expect for buying the first and last RWD turbo M3 car (next gen will be AWD).

Last edited by V8FunNaturally; 01-12-2015 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #96
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

suprised he didn't blow out his rear shocks.
      01-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #97
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
This gen M3/4 will go down as the worst ever sounding bmw. They cannot possibly repeat that bad.

That 20 sec video says it all. No linear power delivery, steepest part of the power curve all under 3000 rpm, already flattening out at 5,000 rpm, inverted peaky V torque curve peaking at 4000rpm mistakenly mated to RWD.

There are evolutionaly mistake in cars gen too. This car is a freak DODO trying to take a flight and getting punished.

The driver did fine, expect for buying the first and last RWD turbo M3 car (next gen will be AWD).
Yes!!!! The torque delivery of turbocharged cars, especially when you are talking about over 400lb-ft, really should be paired with AWD. Yes, RWD makes for better dynamics and steering response, but if you want dynamics and response, then you also need a normally aspirated motor as well. And if you must go FI on a RWD car, supercharging is a better way to go.
      01-12-2015, 10:52 PM   #98
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Exactly..feel bad for the guy, he came out and apologized and he learned his lesson, but I showed the video to several non-car people and they couldn't help but think how pathetic the whole scene was. Sounded like a lawnmower starting when he turned the corner with no bark and then it was all bite which made it seem all the weirder that he spun out of control all the while people are taking video of a weak sounding car. I think it just added to the weirdness.

I think thats why so many on M4 board got defensive (like one of the mods volunteering to contribute to the guy's legal defense fund), because it looked pathetic and what others have been saying about weak sound, difficulty to control, being tricky to drive, steps in torque etc, were all points validated by someone trying to show off by having DSC off and gunning it. I don't wish this on anyone and we have all made our mistakes where we have not been in complete control, but hot-dogging it at a cars n' coffee just made it worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post

There are evolutionaly mistake in cars gen too. This car is a freak DODO trying to take a flight

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:01 PM   #99
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 AW E9X M

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdrive View Post
Look at the replay, he did not have possession or all wheels on the ground when he went out of bounds.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:27 PM   #100
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

prob blew the welds on his manifold
      01-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #101
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
The torque delivery of turbocharged cars, especially when you are talking about over 400lb-ft, really should be paired with AWD. Yes, RWD makes for better dynamics and steering response, but if you want dynamics and response, then you also need a normally aspirated motor as well. And if you must go FI on a RWD car, supercharging is a better way to go.
Raj Nair, Group Vice President, Global Product Development at Ford who is behind the 5.2 l NA DOHC V8 engine in the GT 350, said it best there are two paths: torque heavy turbocharged engine "with a lot of tire underneath it, and its track manners are built around that" ,OR, Naturally aspirated "less reliant on tire and we’re going to be more crisp and nimble". It’s a typical difference in approach between us and GM. I think we’ve coupled that into a better all-around vehicle”.
That 435i "M4" belongs to the GM group of cars Nair is talking about, less predictible torque than N/A, less controlable at the limit, gobs of torque for doing pointless donuts burnout or straight line drag racing (with oversized tires!) . A much less mature car than the E92 M3 and Porsche GT3 when you look at it as the sum of its parts.
There's a current marketing trend toward "specs" meaning peak torque and peak power trumps everything else. The M4 has followed this marketing bubble. The m4 is a car which sums of parts is less than each part because the philosophy of the car is wrong on many aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
I think thats why so many on M4 board got defensive (like one of the mods volunteering to contribute to the guy's legal defense fund), because it looked pathetic and what others have been saying about weak sound, difficulty to control, being tricky to drive, steps in torque etc,
Yes, the same jugement was also relayed in Road and Track magazine, their 435i "m4" went on an uncontrolled drift on the track in 5th gear at 100mph in a long straight !

Last edited by V8FunNaturally; 01-14-2015 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #102
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

It appears to me he was on the throttle pretty much the entire time until he went airborn. If I feel the rear end coming around after flooring it, I'd lift, but he stayed on the throttle.

Also, why would one need to turn off DSC on the streets? He said it's too intrusive, but that pretty much means you're not smooth, because you can haul ass in M mode and be really illegal even with DSC on.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #103
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Give the guy a break, to his credit he waited until he was clear of spectators, and there was no nearby on coming traffic...He waited until he was 100% straight and passed the crowd...

He also gave it a lot of throttle, but It doesn't seem like he was 100% WOT.
`
Between the LSD, M-drive, etc... something caused the power to get disbursed to the right without giving the "leftover" to the left....

Obviously driving away like a grandma, he could have avoided the whole thing...But you don't buy an M4 to drive like an old man.

His response was about as good as it gets, on purpose or due to a total lack of control he did the right thing to regain control and do minimal damage...

1. Letting off the gas while in the middle of a torque driven slide, would have most likely caused the rear end to swing back straight and due to the 50/50 weight distrabution, the car probably would have over compensated and caused a spin.

2. Hit the curb at a slight angle, allowing the tires to take most of the impact. hitting at a 45* angle is about the best way to hit.

Had he hit sideways at that speed he would not have driven away. Controls arms, steering knuckles, even the rack and pinion would not have bent but probably snapped as most of them are aluminum...

He obviously did damage, as you could see lines and/or parts dangling after the "jump"...

Im not saying he was in the right, but if you have an M car, you probably have a heavy foot from time to time...Once he lost control, Its impossible to know what his intentions were....
      01-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #104
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3Power View Post
Give the guy a break, to his credit he waited until he was clear of spectators, and there was no nearby on coming traffic...He waited until he was 100% straight and passed the crowd...

He also gave it a lot of throttle, but It doesn't seem like he was 100% WOT.
`
Between the LSD, M-drive, etc... something caused the power to get disbursed to the right without giving the "leftover" to the left....

Obviously driving away like a grandma, he could have avoided the whole thing...But you don't buy an M4 to drive like an old man.

His response was about as good as it gets, on purpose or due to a total lack of control he did the right thing to regain control and do minimal damage...

1. Letting off the gas while in the middle of a torque driven slide, would have most likely caused the rear end to swing back straight and due to the 50/50 weight distrabution, the car probably would have over compensated and caused a spin.

2. Hit the curb at a slight angle, allowing the tires to take most of the impact. hitting at a 45* angle is about the best way to hit.

Had he hit sideways at that speed he would not have driven away. Controls arms, steering knuckles, even the rack and pinion would not have bent but probably snapped as most of them are aluminum...

He obviously did damage, as you could see lines and/or parts dangling after the "jump"...

Im not saying he was in the right, but if you have an M car, you probably have a heavy foot from time to time...Once he lost control, Its impossible to know what his intentions were....
I will simply note in the context of your comments and those of the aforementioned member driver the following:

1. Poor judgement started the drive off fiasco.

2. Non-existent counter-steering...why? Formula schooled driver should be eligible for refund, no?

3. You note, but I haven't seen the driver claim that he was steering the car to achieve optimal angle to minimize damage. In other words, IMO you are according credit where it isn't due.

4. Most fortuitously, there were no cars in the opposite direction lanes to strike. Had any been there, my guess is that a lot of members would not be in such a generous "cut him some slack" mode; especially if one of the cars struck was their very own whip.

5. AFAIK, the driver has not disclosed estimated damage amount nor posted a single pic of the car. One can only wonder "Why not"? It would be nice to know that the M4 can smack both ends during an airborne assault of the pavement/curbing and walk away unscathed. Talk about bulletproof.
      01-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #105
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Yeah, an E9X M3 has never done anything like this. Only an F8X is capable of pitching sideways and going over a curb. The lack of torque is a savior to us E9X M3 drivers!
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 10:40 PM   #106
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

the road center island curb was quite low, about a shoe high no more you can see it in the first second of the video. Probably just 3 inches. Had it been 2-3 inches higher all the kinetic energy that sent the car airborne would have instead totaled the front wheels and suspensions.
Driver didn't counter-steer at all. anyone having some interest in fast cars even without training would have countered, it seems he panicked completely probably all absorbed by thinking of impressing passerby watching his 435i -m4 version, got surprised, shut his brain and froze on the brakes. I bet it was a dct as manual drivers always have high focus awareness of their car at any time.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 11:05 PM   #107
fbm3cab
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Pretty sure that kind of shit happens on roadways a hell of a lot more then we'll ever know!

Getting caught on camera is the more rare part. And not recovering was just plain stupid.

I've lost the backend of cars over the years way worse then that and recovered and I would think most of us on here have?

Fun in the Great White North is recovering on black ice at high speeds and seeing 5 or 6 cars in the ditch on both sides of the road as you counter steer half a dozen fishtails and all the while passing a cop standing there next to his cruiser watching you with a grin on his face, its amazing how time slows down in the moments.

Fuck. I always slow down when I see emergency lights ahead after that.

And before anyone bitches me out about it I was 18 and it was over 30 years ago.

It really does sucks for that guy, he deserves credit for giving us all a scare to slow down on public roads.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 12:23 AM   #108
Konig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: _

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Yeah, an E9X M3 has never done anything like this. Only an F8X is capable of pitching sideways and going over a curb. The lack of torque is a savior to us E9X M3 drivers!
This thread is fantastic. Armchair experts breaking it down to the extreme, waxing poetic about how this video captures how BMW has lost its way and blah blah blah.

The dude fucked up. That's it. We all fuck up, he was unlucky enough to have it broadcast to the world. Grow up, stop gloating in some other person's most miserable moment, and enjoy your own car.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2015, 12:58 AM   #109
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig View Post
This thread is fantastic. Armchair experts breaking it down to the extreme, waxing poetic about how this video captures how BMW has lost its way and blah blah blah.

The dude fucked up. That's it. We all fuck up, he was unlucky enough to have it broadcast to the world. Grow up, stop gloating in some other person's most miserable moment, and enjoy your own car.
So how damaged was your M4 bro?

Any plans on going back to that C&C or going to find a different one?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 07:13 AM   #110
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge View Post
I will simply note in the context of your comments and those of the aforementioned member driver the following:

1. Poor judgement started the drive off fiasco.

2. Non-existent counter-steering...why? Formula schooled driver should be eligible for refund, no?

3. You note, but I haven't seen the driver claim that he was steering the car to achieve optimal angle to minimize damage. In other words, IMO you are according credit where it isn't due.

4. Most fortuitously, there were no cars in the opposite direction lanes to strike. Had any been there, my guess is that a lot of members would not be in such a generous "cut him some slack" mode; especially if one of the cars struck was their very own whip.

5. AFAIK, the driver has not disclosed estimated damage amount nor posted a single pic of the car. One can only wonder "Why not"? It would be nice to know that the M4 can smack both ends during an airborne assault of the pavement/curbing and walk away unscathed. Talk about bulletproof.
I understand your point about his "lack of counter steer", One of the best drivers in the word is quoted (well paraphrased) as saying "who ever can keep the front wheels aimed the right direction the longest wins"...

All Im saying is intentional or not, counter-steering in this specific circumstance probably would have resulted in damage that he would not have been able to "limp" away from lol.

Points taken, just playing devils advocate, as I have been in a similar accident albeit NO witnesses and when faced with a choice to countersteer and hit a curb side ways or head on, I chose head on and I drove away with very little damage...(And that was actually in a powerful AWD Car (550+ AWHP Evolution VIII))...

Feel bad for the guy, and don't feel bad for the idiots that put crowds of innocent bystanders in danger...

Last edited by DKX4///M; 01-15-2015 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0