BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

BPM

01-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
///M Dream
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Moving to San Diego! Any help much appreciated guys!!

So guys I've decided to take the plunge and finally move to where I've always dreamed of living . I will be making the move to San Diego two weeks from today and was hoping you guys could give me any tips about the city. Ive decided to move to finish my final semester of school at USD and go onto their law school program as i hear it is top notch. I have my mind set on renting a apartment i viewed in downtown San Diego. I will also be bringing my M3 with me as well instead of selling it, therefore i have a few questions about having that in SD as well.

First lets deal with the M3 issue. Are there any INDY certified shops that you have good personal experience with, will be just mostly for basic maintenance on the vehicle nothing more. I don't want to take it to the dealership as it will be out of warranty soon and the prices there are insane. Coming from Phoenix and everything being wide open and living in the suburbs i have become accustomed to washing my car in my driveway myself but as i said in downtown that isn't possible at all, any good car washes that you guys would approve to do a hand wash on my vehicle. Also any back roads (twisties) near SD that would be fun to do a day trip in my car with?
Automotive aside now any places in the city you guys would recommend a young man to see and experience. Any restaurants and or fast food that i should try out sometime. Fun night clubs or bars where would be easy to meet new people?

Ive visited San Diego many times but still the city is very unfamiliar to me because i have not had the chance to see much of it besides the touristy areas etc... So id like to open this thread to you guys to tell me anything you feel a newcomer should know/experience about the city.
All the best and thanks for any information you guys can provide me with
      01-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Congrats on making the move. SD is fantastic. You won't be dissapointed.

I have no input on mechanics as my car is fairly new.

There are lots of DIY car washes around. That's what I've been using. I prefer to use the pressure washer and dry it myself. There are plenty of car washes, but most have the wheel track and I am frightened they will wreck one of my wheels.

SD is full of bars and night clubs. The gaslamp downtown has plenty of great spots. There are some other areas that are fun too though. Northpark has lots of hipster bars and a cool scene. Pacific Beach has a ton of bars as well... but you need to be selective there. It can be kinda meat-head in the wrong places.

Fast food is a good question. The Mexican food will quickly become your best friend and worst enemy. Drunken nights tend to end at 24 hour taco shops and lead to regret in the morning. Nothing tastes better at 2 AM though. I suggest trying the surf and turf burrito at the Lucha Libre taco shop off Washinton Street.

Enjoy the weather!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

For basic maintenance check out La Jolla Independent http://www.bimmerdoc.com ...great shop with years of experience and they really know their stuff. I have been going there for years and same couple guys that do the work have been there for ever.

The place to live if you are young and like the nightlife/trendy scene is either Gaslamp or Pacific Beach (PB). Hippy Scene Ocean Beach (OB). Hipster Scene North Park / South Park area.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
fdelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo 6sp

go to shane at www.euroautostop.com for all your services.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
///M Dream
First Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate all the responses guys. Gaslamp is in Downtown as well correct?
      01-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Dream View Post
Appreciate all the responses guys. Gaslamp is in Downtown as well correct?
Correct.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
aaranzabal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp + E90 M3

No way you're going to go to USD? I just finished up my third semester there. In terms of fun roads to drive on, there is nothing right next to school but my friends and I drive up to La Jolla a lot (more of a scenic drive). We do runs over at Palomar Mountain sometimes during the weekend but that's a decent drive away. There is another spot too that's about 30 min away that has very tight roads and it's so much fun. I can look it up since I usually just follow my friend.

I know I haven't met you but we have a Facebook group for us car guys at USD (I know, a little ridiculous haha) and we plan some cool drives on there. There are a ton of cars at both USD and in San Diego so it will be really fun with your M3. My last drive was with a 335is, a Dinan M5, and a matte black M3 so you're more than welcome to join. Basically, there is a really good "car culture" at school.

In terms of car washes, everything in San Diego is really not that far apart unless you head much further North closer to Carlsbad and places like that. Even though you'll be downtown, they have tons of hand car washes near school. Whenever I go to La Jolla I usually stop at this place I found over there that does really good hand car washes. I forgot the name but once I go back to school I can let you know.

Anyways, if you're down we should meet up once I'm back in SD. Good luck! I can help you with other stuff too once school starts if you still need it. Trust me, you'll have a great time.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
///M Dream
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranzabal View Post
No way you're going to go to USD? I just finished up my third semester there. In terms of fun roads to drive on, there is nothing right next to school but my friends and I drive up to La Jolla a lot (more of a scenic drive). We do runs over at Palomar Mountain sometimes during the weekend but that's a decent drive away. There is another spot too that's about 30 min away that has very tight roads and it's so much fun. I can look it up since I usually just follow my friend.

I know I haven't met you but we have a Facebook group for us car guys at USD (I know, a little ridiculous haha) and we plan some cool drives on there. There are a ton of cars at both USD and in San Diego so it will be really fun with your M3. My last drive was with a 335is, a Dinan M5, and a matte black M3 so you're more than welcome to join. Basically, there is a really good "car culture" at school.

In terms of car washes, everything in San Diego is really not that far apart unless you head much further North closer to Carlsbad and places like that. Even though you'll be downtown, they have tons of hand car washes near school. Whenever I go to La Jolla I usually stop at this place I found over there that does really good hand car washes. I forgot the name but once I go back to school I can let you know.

Anyways, if you're down we should meet up once I'm back in SD. Good luck! I can help you with other stuff too once school starts if you still need it. Trust me, you'll have a great time.
Really you go to USD as well? Thats awesome! Yeah that would be great to meet up sometime! Would be a lot of help since I'm not familiar with the school or don't really know any students there haha. When i was doing my campus tour i definitely noticed how nice the cars are on campus, i saw the matte black M3 too that wasn't yours by chance was it?
      01-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
aaranzabal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Really you go to USD as well? Thats awesome! Yeah that would be great to meet up sometime! Would be a lot of help since I'm not familiar with the school or don't really know any students there haha. When i was doing my campus tour i definitely noticed how nice the cars are on campus, i saw the matte black M3 too that wasn't yours by chance was it?
Awesome! And nope unfortunately that M3 isn't mine. I have a jet black e92 M3. All I've done is white angel eyes and an RPI exhaust so it looks pretty stock. The guy who owns the matte black M3 is a good friend though. He actually got rid of it over break and is picking up a C63 coupe so it looks like you and I will have one of the few e9x M3's. He's a senior like you and applying to law school so I can introduce you guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
///M Dream
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! And nope unfortunately that M3 isn't mine. I have a jet black e92 M3. All I've done is white angel eyes and an RPI exhaust so it looks pretty stock. The guy who owns the matte black M3 is a good friend though. He actually got rid of it over break and is picking up a C63 coupe so it looks like you and I will have one of the few e9x M3's. He's a senior like you and applying to law school so I can introduce you guys.
How do you like the rpi exhaust? I was thinking about going aftermarket on mine as well. And well just let me know when your back in SD when schools about to start and we can meet up, would be cool to meet some of you guys
      01-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
tunawi7cheese
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Power by dead dinosaurs

Here's a link to the SD Chat on the E90 forums. Several other M guys are there too. Welcome to SD.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...71209&page=316

Melborne Red 08' E90 M3 6spd
Hockenheim Silver 20' F87 M2 CS MDCT
White 21' Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
Slapshot9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 JzB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
For basic maintenance check out La Jolla Independent http://www.bimmerdoc.com ...great shop with years of experience and they really know their stuff. I have been going there for years and same couple guys that do the work have been there for ever.

The place to live if you are young and like the nightlife/trendy scene is either Gaslamp or Pacific Beach (PB). Hippy Scene Ocean Beach (OB). Hipster Scene North Park / South Park area.
La Jolla Independent is highly regarded in the BMW community. Carl is the man. The rest of the posting have pointed you in the right direction. I love Rubios fish tacos and the Old Columbia Brewery (among many in SD). Drives... 79 to Julian is good. Temecula to Palm Desert is awesome, the drop on 74 into Palm Desert is one of the best. Mountain drive from San Bernadino up 330 to Big Bear lake is nice too, you can be on the slopes skiing in 2hrs from your campus. Good luck, enjoy. '88 SDSU Grad.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
dtmwerksm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 M4 Mineral White/Shakir

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdelement View Post
go to shane at www.euroautostop.com for all your services.
+1
2003 BMW M3 — Carbon Black on Black, 6MT - Sold
1995 BMW M3 Coupe — Cosmos Black on Black - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
aaranzabal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How do you like the rpi exhaust? I was thinking about going aftermarket on mine as well. And well just let me know when your back in SD when schools about to start and we can meet up, would be cool to meet some of you guys
So far I like the exhaust but I still want to go louder. The matte black M3 has a meisterschaft gt2 exhaust which is what I one day want to upgrade to. You'll see once we're at school. Anyways yeah I'll message you when I get into SD. Talk to you soon!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #15
onnex
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.26]
congrats on the move. +1 on the DIY car washes– thats definitely the way to go if you want it done right every time tons of stuff to see/ do here though, not sure where to being haha
      01-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #16
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

yeah gaslamp is part of the downtown area
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #17
Darren1100
Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmwerksm3 View Post
+1
+2 www.euroautospot.com

And best car wash experience, you should contact mike in the SD e90 channel. He is obsessedly good at all that.

Welcome to SD.

RD Sport | Akrapovic Evo | ESS VT1 | BavX LS3 | Eibach | Amuse Ericsson | HRE | Alekshop
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #18
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:

So guys I've decided to take the plunge and finally move to where I've always dreamed of living . I will be making the move to San Diego two weeks from today and was hoping you guys could give me any tips about the city. Ive decided to move to finish my final semester of school at USD and go onto their law school program as i hear it is top notch. I have my mind set on renting a apartment i viewed in downtown San Diego. I will also be bringing my M3 with me as well instead of selling it, therefore i have a few questions about having that in SD as well.

First lets deal with the M3 issue. Are there any INDY certified shops that you have good personal experience with, will be just mostly for basic maintenance on the vehicle nothing more. I don't want to take it to the dealership as it will be out of warranty soon and the prices there are insane. Coming from Phoenix and everything being wide open and living in the suburbs i have become accustomed to washing my car in my driveway myself but as i said in downtown that isn't possible at all, any good car washes that you guys would approve to do a hand wash on my vehicle. Also any back roads (twisties) near SD that would be fun to do a day trip in my car with?
Automotive aside now any places in the city you guys would recommend a young man to see and experience. Any restaurants and or fast food that i should try out sometime. Fun night clubs or bars where would be easy to meet new people?

Ive visited San Diego many times but still the city is very unfamiliar to me because i have not had the chance to see much of it besides the touristy areas etc... So id like to open this thread to you guys to tell me anything you feel a newcomer should know/experience about the city.
All the best and thanks for any information you guys can provide me with
I would avoid San Diego all together if you can.

I am from there and own a home there but honestly its no dream city. There are so many major issues, I just couldn't live there again and am selling my home to move to a nicer city/town.

Have you considered moving to Honolulu? Seattle? Miami? Virginia Beach?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #19
///M Dream
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So far I like the exhaust but I still want to go louder. The matte black M3 has a meisterschaft gt2 exhaust which is what I one day want to upgrade to. You'll see once we're at school. Anyways yeah I'll message you when I get into SD. Talk to you soon!
Sounds good dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessZ4M View Post

I am from there and own a home there but honestly its no dream city. There are so many major issues, I just couldn't live there again and am selling my home to move to a nicer city/town.

Theres just something about the city its one of the chillest places i have been the city is amazing. If you've been to phoenix you would understand why i view the city so highly.
      01-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #20
onnex
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.26]
Curious to hear what is so just so awful about San Diego that you would discourage others from moving here (just at a high-level, not looking to debate the merits of the city, just curious).. I don't think anyone is making it out to be a flawless utopia by any means, but it's pretty rad by most standards. I moved here from LA for a place thats a little slower-paced, good waves, rad people, and great weather. Check, check, check, and check.

OP, there are lots of happy people here who love SD– can't please them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessZ4M View Post

01-11-2012, 02:35 AM   #21
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnex View Post
Curious to hear what is so just so awful about San Diego that you would discourage others from moving here (just at a high-level, not looking to debate the merits of the city, just curious).. I don't think anyone is making it out to be a flawless utopia by any means, but it's pretty rad by most standards. I moved here from LA for a place thats a little slower-paced, good waves, rad people, and great weather. Check, check, check, and check.

OP, there are lots of happy people here who love SD– can't please them all
+1. Currently i go to a CC in LA, but my best friend goes to UCSD. I love the feel of the town. a little slower paced as you said, but still very laid back. I am planning on going to UCSD in a year or so and hopefully moving there down the line after school.

( I sent my friend the link, so he should chime in pretty soon)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #22
eVitO
trollololol
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: Too slow

Wassssup

idk, I love it here. I'm a 2nd year @ UCSD and I love SD a lot more than LA. LA will always have a place in my heart just because I grew up there, but SD is a lot better, imo.

As aaranzabal said, not many good roads here, besides Palomar. The scenic twisty roads are really busy most of the time and laced w/ cops everywhere. Although the speed limit is 45 here (big deal to me, 'cause everywhere in LA it's 35).

As for all the food and what not... Mexican food. Trust me. Dear Lord, some carne asada fries from Rigoberto's always hits the spot... Bars & night clubs, meh. Been to a few, they're ok, but clubs aren't really "my scene", so the experience might be different for you.

Oh, and watch out for the roads in La Jolla. They kinda suck. Kinda really suck. But if you just be careful and watch out for potholes, you'll get used to it.

Best wishes man! Good luck with the move, and let me know if you need any help with anything!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
why dont you leave him a love note on the car -- with hearts and shit

lol - seriously tho -- I find notes on my car sometimes -- but it's NEVER from girls -- -- damm M3 is a ghey magnet
Appreciate 0