BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

BBS FI - Forged

Super light weight new BBS wheels.

19" x 8.75" weighs 7.4 kg (16.31lbs.) only!

Individual - Ultra-light - Forged

The new high end product line combines technology and a unique design to a perfect and individual match.
The special technological manufacturing process reduces weight so that the FI in 19" x 8.75" weighs 7.4 kg (16.31lbs.) only! As a result the performance is increased significantly as well as driving comfort.
The FI emphasizes the unique character of the car.

Technology
Weight reduced by back milling between the spokes.
Flow formed inner rim for a maximum of stability at a minimum of weight.
Possibilities for individualization by different finishes and options like a stainless steel rim protector lip

Finishes:
Brilliant silver, ceramic polished or black/diamond cut.

http://www.bbs.com/en/company/news/fi_en.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Boy these may just be the best looking wheel I´ve seen so far, and super light weight as well!!
      05-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

Wow those are beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Interesting.
These are coming from BBS Germany?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Boy these may just be the best looking wheel I´ve seen so far, and super light weight as well!!
+1 - I am really liking this wheel
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
BBS wins this again
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
M3V8
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite

WHoa I think I'm getting an extra set of wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Yeah these look sick!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
How is it forged and flow formed just at the rear?

Great looking wheel, a nice option to the upcoming RAC wheel. But we need to see more pics and sizing.

Last edited by consolidated; 05-11-2009 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #10
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
How is it forged and flow formed just a the rear.

Great looking wheel, a nice option to the upcoming RAC wheel. But we need to see more pics and sizing.
Yes we do! Price as well. 8.75" is too small even for the front and we need to know whether or not this process retains rigidity etc....
      05-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #11
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

I am really excited about that RAC wheel. This will be a tough choice if these are available in the right size, but I cant wait for that RAC
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #12
M3_LIN
LM-R Whore.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 White M3 Sedan

wow, those are pretty hot.

NIce wheels already Dean? man!

Ed Lin

09AWE90M: Light headlight tint, Full front end clear bra wrap(Harris@InstyleGraphics), Ceramic tint(40%), Piaa GTX H3 bulb, HID 8k AE, 6k Low, INT Luxer1 lights, RD springs, LMR 20X9 +8, 20X10 +18 (Dave @ Status), Vertice CF hood Ducts(Dat @ VertexUSA), Tecnocraft FULL Envy Intake system+plenum(KEVLAR)+cabin filter covers, Meister GTC exhaust, Arkym F LIP.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #13
Cleveland
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Interesting.
These are coming from BBS Germany?
No, the Forged Individual Line of wheels will be made at the BBS forging plant in Japan. (Washibeam) Right along with the LM and LM-R. No BBS forged wheel is made in Germany. (Schiltach)

The German plant only manufactures their flow-formed CAST wheels like the CH, RK, RXII, and some higher-end European OEM fitments.

I spoke to an acquaintance of mine at BBS (several months ago) in regards this new wheel. He was surprised I that I knew this wheel existed.

I always know what they're up to...

The forged flow-formed rim, combined with the patented backmilling technology on the sides of the spokes (and the rear face of the wheel), helps achieve that ultra-low weight threshold.

Backmilling key areas, and running several FEA test simulations after this is done, can actually create stress relief for the center spokes while sacrificing very little tensile strength, yield strength, or toughness of the solution heat-treated aluminum alloy. It's truly a remarkable feat of engineering prowess.

An incredibly strong forged aluminum wheel, that is also extremely lightweight (at the same time) is the holy grail of wheel manufacturing.

These forged monoblock wheels are going to look fabulous on the E9x M3.

The problem will be getting them here in the United States...

The availability of this wheel is still not set in stone. There is a "spirited debate" going on now within the company, in an effort to get these wheels into the US marketplace.

But for now...these wheels are only going to be available to the Japanese and European markets for the time being. (sorry guys)

This is not at all unusual, as it seems to happen with any new BBS forged wheel out of Japan. It usually takes a while for their new forged wheel products to migrate here to the United States. (legitimately or through the back door)

Some BBS forged wheels never make it here, while other styles are restricted to only certain exterior colors. BBS is very picky about what styles/colors they will allow into the US market. It's been that way for the past 25 yrs...

Some clever U.S. wheel dealers have a knack for "bypassing" these restrictions for a price...but you will pay dearly for the privilege.

BTW, these wheels aren't going to be cheap, even if the restriction is lifted. (if the pricing rumors I'm getting are accurate)

So you better start saving your pennies now!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland View Post
No, the Forged Individual Line of wheels will be made at the BBS forging plant in Japan. (Washibeam) Right along with the LM and LM-R. No BBS forged wheel is made in Germany. (Schiltach)

The German plant only manufactures their flow-formed CAST wheels like the CH, RK, RXII, and some higher-end European OEM fitments.

I spoke to an acquaintance of mine at BBS (several months ago) in regards this new wheel. He was surprised I that I knew this wheel existed.

I always know what they're up to...

The forged flow-formed rim, combined with the patented backmilling technology on the sides of the spokes (and the rear face of the wheel), helps achieve that ultra-low weight threshold.

Backmilling key areas, and running several FEA test simulations after this is done, can actually create stress relief for the center spokes while sacrificing very little tensile strength, yield strength, or toughness of the solution heat-treated aluminum alloy. It's truly a remarkable feat of engineering prowess.

An incredibly strong forged aluminum wheel, that is also extremely lightweight (at the same time) is the holy grail of wheel manufacturing.

These forged monoblock wheels are going to look fabulous on the E9x M3.

The problem will be getting them here in the United States...

The availability of this wheel is still not set in stone. There is a "spirited debate" going on now within the company, in an effort to get these wheels into the US marketplace.

But for now...these wheels are only going to be available to the Japanese and European markets for the time being. (sorry guys)

This is not at all unusual, as it seems to happen with any new BBS forged wheel out of Japan. It usually takes a while for their new forged wheel products to migrate here to the United States. (legitimately or through the back door)

Some BBS forged wheels never make it here, while other styles are restricted to only certain exterior colors. BBS is very picky about what styles/colors they will allow into the US market. It's been that way for the past 25 yrs...

Some clever U.S. wheel dealers have a knack for "bypassing" these restrictions for a price...but you will pay dearly for the privilege.

BTW, these wheels aren't going to be cheap, even if the restriction is lifted. (if the pricing rumors I'm getting are accurate)

So you better start saving your pennies now!
I guess I gotta start saving now. Hopefully they make the correct fitment for the M3.
Thanks for the info bros.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Cleveland,
Any news if the RE-Rs are going to be offered in 19s or 20s?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #16
Cleveland
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Cleveland,
Any news if the RE-Rs are going to be offered in 19s or 20s?
You mean the beautiful 22" wheel, that BBS refuses to make for anything other than Porsche Cayenne SUV's?

Nope...

I asked this question a while back, and the company's upper management has no plans to expand the fitments to other cars at this time.

The problem is...it would require a new capitol investment in tooling for this to take place. This is also a 5-axis CNC machined wheel. That's the most expensive (and time-consuming) machine work you can get.

And right now...BBS is in no hurry to change this...

I can't understand how a company which such steller products, can miss the boat on so many marketing and sales opportunities.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #17
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland View Post
You mean the beautiful 22" wheel, that BBS refuses to make for anything other than Porsche Cayenne SUV's?

Nope...

I asked this question a while back, and the company's upper management has no plans to expand the fitments to other cars at this time.

The problem is...it would require a new capitol investment in tooling for this to take place. This is also a 5-axis CNC machined wheel. That's the most expensive (and time-consuming) machine work you can get.

And right now...BBS is in no hurry to change this...

I can't understand how a company which such steller products, can miss the boat on so many marketing and sales opportunities.
Thats too bad, at least we can get the RE-V, but the RE-R is sooooo nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #18
Cleveland
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thats too bad, at least we can get the RE-V, but the RE-R is sooooo nice.
Don't feel too bad bro. I'm not sure you would want the RE-R's anyway...

Those wheels retail for a hefty 10g's per set in the 22" size. (not kidding)

Even in a 19" or 20" sized wheel, the price wouldn't necessarily be that much cheaper for us. The progressive multi-staged impression die-forging and extensive 5-axis CNC machining, will never allow this wheel to be anything close to affordable in the real world.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #19
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

similar to this
      05-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #20
labelexec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Matte Black RSSport M3

You tease us with these images then tell us it will be a problem bringing them to the US. Not cool!

I'd love a set of these in matte black or matte charcoal
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #21
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Cleveland,
Why did BBS choose the make the RE-R for the Cayanne? I can't imagine that many Cayanne owners changing wheels out for quality wheels vs. bling wheels that I see all the time on the Cayanne.
Also, could you explain the 5 axis machining and why it costs so much. $10,000/set is WAY up there.
Thanks for the info.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #22
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Cleveland,