BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

10-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #133
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Danm that freaking sucks big time...

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #134
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I would like to know what happened although we all should respect the privacy of the customer. And I would think if there was any possibility that the AA kit caused the failure and AA wasn't accomodating, we'd hear about it from the customer.

I feel that AA has a great track record and is usually quite conservative in their claims and tuning, which is a common attirbute for BMW tuners that continue to do business (ESS, HPF).

Let's keep in mind that it took about 4 years for an FI kit to come to market for an E46. I would imagine every kit is still has some sort of development going in and tuners continue to learn about the S65.

I don't think the AA meth system is much different from my older water/alc system from AA. My w/a system is a charge cooler and does not add power. Nor does AA change the tune to account for w/a.

With that said, I'm not a fan of meth. Mostly because it is just an extra PIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoostedBMWM3 View Post
I realize they are 7 pages her
40 posts per page FTW!
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #135
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

what does the noise sound like?? i had posted awhile back about a rattle noise once my car is warmed up but once i push the clutch in it goes away. other 6sp man owners have told me it is normal sound coming from the tranny and the dealer as well. do you still have these sound clips etc?? or can you describe the sound to me?? i have an 08 6sp man coupe.

other then that rattle noise i hear the car runs perfect and have not had any problems with it ever. and the noise is only there once the car is warmed up to temp, when you start it up the rattle noise is not there for the first few min. and like i said it is only present when sitting there, if you push the clutch in the noise goes away

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Go search and find out who they are. They are already a few cases on this forum. I am not here to win a popularity contest by proving how many data points I need. Fact is the bearings has already wreacked havoc on some forummers car here. In fact there might be thousands with this problem but they dont realise it because they can't identify the sound. In fact after some people posted clips of the ticking, some have reported they have the EXACT same noise. If I were the manufacturer, I would keep quiet than order a recall and look bad when most of them do not think its a problem because they are not aware of it. And especially after a lawsuit against BMW for the N54 Fuel pumps and the brake recall problems, I would hardly think they need another episode to declare a recall.

Regarding the internals being changed, you will never know. Neither would I. But I believe there is changes to it because physically seeing both pumps, the older ones had a lot of movement inside the pump that sounded like coins in a jar. The newer ones were "tighter" in comparison.

There is a forummer by the nick "kouhii" and he has an 09 and even had main bearing failure on his car. Which makes me even think the oil pumps are more of the culprit than the bearings.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=151600&page=2
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #136
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Go search and find out who they are. They are already a few cases on this forum. I am not here to win a popularity contest by proving how many data points I need. Fact is the bearings has already wreacked havoc on some forummers car here. In fact there might be thousands with this problem but they dont realise it because they can't identify the sound. In fact after some people posted clips of the ticking, some have reported they have the EXACT same noise. If I were the manufacturer, I would keep quiet than order a recall and look bad when most of them do not think its a problem because they are not aware of it. And especially after a lawsuit against BMW for the N54 Fuel pumps and the brake recall problems, I would hardly think they need another episode to declare a recall.
lol, I'm with elmar on this one, except that searching won't do you any good....most people (like me) probably keep their mouths shut most of the time.

You try to help and people argue with you, so it's usually better to keep quiet. Like in this case, right elmar?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #137
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeJayKaying View Post
lol, I'm with elmar on this one, except that searching won't do you any good....most people (like me) probably keep their mouths shut most of the time.

You try to help and people argue with you, so it's usually better to keep quiet. Like in this case, right elmar?
Touche. Living by your signature man.

Well I can understand 08 owners are possibly worried about their cars and I am only posting here to keep them informed and against supercharging their cars as a super big risk. I suspect many 08 owners which are off-forum who has the sound probably don't think there is anything wrong. And about 1 year for now, when the warranty is out, and something happens, that's when you are screwed big time. Fact.

I mean how many people with 09/10 cars have problem with their engines. As far as I know, only kouhii has an 09 car and he had main bearing failure which was replaced. And that's probably 1 of the only cases (on-forum of course) we heard on 09 cars. 2010 cars appears to be running very well with no reported cases so far. And I hope it stays this way because it is an improvement on BMWs part. However, it should have never have happened in the first place. Its as though the early batch of engines were tested by all those who had problems and BMW addressed them subsequently. We did not pay this premium to test cars for BMW and certainly I changed my 335 to avoid all the HPFP bullshit. Now it seems after what has transpired for me, the HPFP seems a more fun affair. Definitely much cheaper too. Hahahah...

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|

Last edited by satinghostrider; 10-11-2010 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #138
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

I've seen first hand what oil starvation will do to a "Stroker" motor. I was in the car when the stroker motor failed. I required a full rebuild. It was an '08. Not a cheap fix.
      10-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #139
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I've seen first hand what oil starvation will do to a "Stroker" motor. I was in the car when the stroker motor failed. I required a full rebuild. It was an '08. Not a cheap fix.
I hope you changed your oil pump as well.
+1 on it not being a cheap fix.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 06:02 AM   #140
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
I hope you changed your oil pump as well.
+1 on it not being a cheap fix.

$18k for parts excluding labor. I hadn't realized '08s were having oil pump issues. I'll be sure to relay the information to my buddy who's out the $$.
      10-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #141
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
$18k for parts excluding labor. I hadn't realized '08s were having oil pump issues. I'll be sure to relay the information to my buddy who's out the $$.
Which components were badly damaged due to the oil starvation?

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 07:35 AM   #142
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

Quote:
+1 Bubbles

I have an '08 and would like to know if there is anything I can do to make sure I drop the bottom end.

Or for that matter decrease my chances at least.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #143
cheesy9
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Captain View Post
How can you rule out the supercharger kit? What facts does AA have to show?
Agreed. I would trust AA more if they said an investigation was underway but it appeared supercharger wasn't the cause, rather than making absolute statements like that. At the very least the supercharger could have contributed to the problem even if it wasn't the primary cause.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #144
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
+1 Bubbles

I have an '08 and would like to know if there is anything I can do to make sure I drop the bottom end.

Or for that matter decrease my chances at least.
Unfortunately, it required a total rebuild of the motor, pistons, rods, valves. Keep in mind it was a "stroker" motor, which was built for an '08 M3. The motor failed after a few straight-line runs nothing abusive. IMO, I think it's a build issue with the "stroker" motor rather than what could happen to a stock '08 motor.
      10-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #145
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, it required a total rebuild of the motor, pistons, rods, valves. Keep in mind it was a "stroker" motor, which was built for an '08 M3. The motor failed after a few straight-line runs nothing abusive. IMO, I think it's a build issue with the "stroker" motor rather than what could happen to a stock '08 motor.
Looks to me like the rebuilt engine was not done properly. If you followed the run-in procedures strictly and drove after that and in failed, you should shoot the guy that rebuilt your engine.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 06:04 AM   #146
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Looks to me like the rebuilt engine was not done properly. If you followed the run-in procedures strictly and drove after that and in failed, you should shoot the guy that rebuilt your engine.

Agreed 100%
      10-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #147
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

That noise your hearing is your flywheel , 100% normal .
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
what does the noise sound like?? i had posted awhile back about a rattle noise once my car is warmed up but once i push the clutch in it goes away. other 6sp man owners have told me it is normal sound coming from the tranny and the dealer as well. do you still have these sound clips etc?? or can you describe the sound to me?? i have an 08 6sp man coupe.

other then that rattle noise i hear the car runs perfect and have not had any problems with it ever. and the noise is only there once the car is warmed up to temp, when you start it up the rattle noise is not there for the first few min. and like i said it is only present when sitting there, if you push the clutch in the noise goes away

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #148
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
what does the noise sound like?? i had posted awhile back about a rattle noise once my car is warmed up but once i push the clutch in it goes away.
Sounds like a faulty throwout bearing.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #149
rockd
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33 View Post
That noise your hearing is your flywheel , 100% normal .
+1 definitely the flywheel. it's normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #150
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

Any updates?
Appreciate 0