BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

12-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #67
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

>>>Engineering Master's program without a B.S. in Engineering <<<<
Be careful ok!
Look I know i sound like I’m sort of nutter but believe me when I say this.
“They get a kick out of you failing out and taking your money.”
So just know what you are getting into. Your work load will be 5 times more than it was in business school. And the professors will not be nice.
And if you fail out they still get to keep your money which they like.
So please please please please be careful ok!
All jokes and me being mean to engineering girls…just be careful ok.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #68
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
Ehhhh....god...well....aaahh....looks like the guy got lucky! Got the only single girl in the entire engineering department.
But isn't that like saying you got the least oldest least chewed piece of gum from the floor of the movie theater?

I have no idea why any one would ever consider going for engineering right now. The return on investment...both in capital and in time is just not worth it. Sure if you are near Eastern or far Eastern and you want your mom to brag to her cousins about how smart you are sure!
But then again she might as well be looking for a graduation wife for you as well.

Nah, as a hedge fund manager once put it while i was having a drink with a friend on stoner Street in NYC...
"the worst paid engineer here in the us makes 10 times what the best paid PhD Engineer makes in China....so why hire in the US?"

Sure if you get a job for FedEx or one of the big oil companies or maybe pharma...but right now...engineering not be looking so good.
Companies are making more money off their investments and pushing people to do more with less than they are from their innovations.
And by the time things do turn around.....hell it's the easiest job in the world to outsource.
Math is math be it here, china or vietnam or india. hell you don't even have to have an engineer who speaks english...it's just numbers.

And to think you are out easily $25k+ a year for the education, 80 hours + for the studies and have lowered your standards where you are making out with some fugly thing in the library?

Ask your self is it worth it?

Hell no! Get an MBA be a money retirement manager move to Florida or AZ and make good money off of old folks and live the good life!
i'll just say this: engineering was tough, not sure if i'd do it over again. but i did finish the program, and though i'm not working as an engineer, i've applied many of the concepts i picked up for my current work.

you seem to be overly focused on banging chicks: just be a drug dealer they'll all come crawling to you for rocks.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #69
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

This isn't a threat or anything but I just might want to break Shah's jaw if he keeps talking so much shit in his retarded posts. Seriously you piss a lot of people of here and we know your in NJ so why not try to take it easy for a little if you know whats good for you... How hard can it be to find a a retarded Arab in a 3 series... oh wait we are talking about NJ, I forgot.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #70
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
This isn't a threat or anything but I just might want to break Shah's jaw if he keeps talking so much shit in his retarded posts. Seriously you piss a lot of people of here and we know your in NJ so why not try to take it easy for a little if you know whats good for you... How hard can it be to find a a retarded Arab in a 3 series... oh wait we are talking about NJ, I forgot.
U MAD
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #71
Letsrunem8
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Can we not have this thread sway towards Shah, but rather, stay on topic?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #72
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep

My brother just passed the PE today. Huge accomplishment.
4.5 years of B.S. in Electrical Engineering
Passing the FE/EIT exam
3.5 years of M.S. in Electrical Engineering
4-5 years of working under a PE
Passing 8 hours of PE exam

Engineering takes DEDICATION.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #73
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Engineering takes DEDICATION.
But s it worth it?
Why not take that time and energy and get your series 7 out of the way and work as an FM and well like I said do better and be around better smelling people? And maybe double your income?

That's what i'm trying to ask you OP.
Yeah it's fun being mean to engineers, and it's so much fun to see engineers get all hissy pissy and passive aggressive and it does give me great pleasure...maybe i'm just a bully.

But what I'm asking you is this, have you sat down and really given it a good amount of thought? As things go you may end up being "stuck" in a field you may not really enjoy.

So sit down, think of what you want your future to be like....and the people you want to be around and how much risk you wish to take Vs how much money you want to make and go from there ok?

And once you have that figured out, make your choice.

Also...maybe you can visit a local engineering cube farm walk around and see if it's your thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #74
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep

There is pride in calling yourself an Engineer and knowing you're smarter than 9/10 people in the room.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #75
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
There is pride in calling yourself an Engineer and knowing you're smarter than 9/10 people in the room.
I know many many very smart PhD's in engineering who live at home with mom. Not because they want to....though many seem to have some form of asburgers and think it's a cool idea to still sleep in the top bunk....but rather because they have to.

Hey it's not cheep to go for an education. And the point of going for an education is to put yourself in the best possible position for graduation where you income will be greater than if you had not gone to further your education.

Sadly some very smart people.....are not only odd.....but....well...not well off.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #76
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
I know many many very smart PhD's in engineering who live at home with mom. Not because they want to....though many seem to have some form of asburgers and think it's a cool idea to still sleep in the top bunk....but rather because they have to.

Hey it's not cheep to go for an education. And the point of going for an education is to put yourself in the best possible position for graduation where you income will be greater than if you had not gone to further your education.

Sadly some very smart people.....are not only odd.....but....well...not well off.
I never mentioned salary, but I don't disagree: Engineering doesn't pay. It's the smartest people doing the hardest work for lower pay than the business folk.
They are still the most intelligent people out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #77
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

Smart technically yes. But when it comes to understanding the human condition and business and game theory..not so much. But that's cool!
I mean I've been an engineer for 10 years + now.
Now only do i have the technical skills to fix my car and my hot water heater which is nice but I've had to work very hard to step out to pick up business acumen via obtaining my MBA. And as soon as the economy heats up I will be quickly leaving engineering for finance/business....i don't care anything that pays and is not engineering.

As for the OP, what I'm saying is...just know what you are getting into. It's not NASA it can become power point hell. OK? =)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #78
Malibu1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Charger HC, Backdraft Cobra

I love how you guys stereo type engineers. Some of the comments I am seeing on this board makes my jaw drop. Glad my career as an engineer is a 180 from what you guys are dealing with. I would not change a single aspect with my employment or the people I work with. Sounds like many of you should change to a new company or career you enjoy.