BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #23
CallMeWonder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Alpine White

Hate to be off-topic but what other cars were there?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #24
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

We have a sensible group of M3 owners (and some other exotics) doing a coastal caravan next Sunday in Los Angeles if any socal M3 owners want to join. This will definitely be a cruise and not a high speed sesh. PM me if interested
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #25
rdollie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Sedan

If you want to try the track without committing to a helmet you can get a helmet liner. Some tracks have them for events for free or a few dollars. Alternately you can get one from a local motorsports shop or possibly a go-karting establishment. Worst case scenario is you can use a cold weather balaclava but you may pass out from the heat that builds up in your helmet at some point...

Just follow the same instincts (and your instructor) that kept you from getting pressured by a bunch of morons before and you will have a safe fun time at the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadub View Post
Guess what you guys.......I am going to the track!! I actually bought a Livingsocial deal for classroom instruction and 4, 20 minutes track sessions.
It's at Firebird raceway here in Phx. Now my biggest fears are putting on a used, sweaty helmet and the fact that I may get addicted to the track!! Thanks for the support about the run. You know I will be posting on my first track experience...stay tuned!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #26
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDavid View Post
We're all likely guilty of some spirited backroads driving, but you only have the right to risk your life, and not the lives of others. The only suitable place for what you're referencing is the track. Sorry they teased you, but if they're willing to be that reckless, especially with other peoples' safety, then they're not smart enough for you to care about their opinion - and they're compensating. I think you did the right thing by pulling back. Thanks for being sensible.
^ this.

sounds like they were being rather reckless and dangerous. good for you for being level headed.
a spirited corner when nobody is around is a lot different than endangering lives with excessive speed.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #27
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

i'm glad you know your comfort zone is. never think you're a better driver than you really are and you should stay out of trouble. if they're tell you that they want to see some m3 muscles that probably means they're driving something of less caliber.. save your gas, save your tires, and save your dignity. you know you'd pass them. and yes this is how most runs are..

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651141 <--- avoid this

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 03:23 AM   #28
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Don't be peer pressured into driving faster or doing things that you'd want to, further more on public roads probably not that advisable!
      03-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #29
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
and I'm not really sure how I liked it! Those of you that know me, know I'm not an overly aggressive driver. However, my worst fears were confirmed yesterday. The drive was over 250 miles encompassing windy mountain roads with some good straight aways. There were about 10 cars and I was about the 6th in the line up. Before I knew it, the cars behind me were passing me out even though I was going 90-100 mph. They were passing out anyone who drove any slower that was in front of them. Turns out they were cruising at 120-140 mph. I call bull sh-t on that and I was upset as we were not the only cars on the road. They all knew my concerns and begged me to come along. One guy actually left early as he almost lost it going around one of the curves and really got scared.

One of the guys was super nice and understood I had never driven my car that fast and on those kind of roads, and he hung back with me. My question is...is this how most runs are? I found it to be very stressful and not much fun. I also found it rude that some of the guys involved kept teasing me over lunch and telling me they wanted to see some M3 muscle. (I had the onlyM3 in the group) To which I replied that I refuse to drive outside of my comfort zone, and they knew that going in. With that being said, I wasn't driving like a Grandma either.

There is another run coming up next month, and I really don't know if I'll go or not. So, it all just got me wondering if this is what most runs are like?
First, of all, YOU are the sane person here !!!!

For years, I actually used to organize runs like these with both Audi and the Nissan Z crowd. It is inevitable that when you get a group of driving enthusiasts together, a type of "mob mentality" ensues. How that mentality plays out at a particular event is anyone's guess.

One year, things got very out of control. Some of the group started doing some really crazy shit on public roads. That was it. I was done organizing these things. Last thing I needed in my life was that kind of liability.

I remember another incident when I was driving down to NYC with my wife. We saw a group of exotic cars driving very fast on the highway. Saw a Lamborghini run a toll booth at what must have been at least 90-100mph. Simply nuts !!!!

For the most part, when I ran these events, we were on twisty New England mountain roads. Speeds varied anywhere from the speed limit at 30-35 through the center of small towns to about 90-100 on some open stretches. On occasion we broke 3 digits but this was rare. For the most part, the pace was brisk but in full control.

Anyway....your experience is not typical, but is not surprising to me either. Really depends on the specifics of the group. Nowadays, I just go out on my own in the early hours of the morning on roads that I know and at speeds that I am comfortable with.

Last edited by LarThaL; 03-19-2012 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #30
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Good for you for knowing you're uncomfortable in a situation and doing something about it. In my experience , it always seemed like the more people in the group, the bigger the drop in everyone's IQ .This was just as true when I'd go for a group ride on my motorcycle. Its one thing to have fun, its another to just be stupid. The last time I was involved in something like that , it was only about 20 minutes before I faded back and turned around to go home.I got a call the next day from a friend telling me that 2 of the pack were arrested for speed over 120mph and one guy wrecked and was in the Hospital.While I'm no Jenson Button, I know I can drive. But I have nothing to prove on the streets.There's just too much to lose I'd much rather prove my driving on a track , where a little trash talking with your friends can be a fun thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #31
Bimmer Freeeek!
Live Fast. Die Young.
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ///M3

Quote:
They were passing out anyone who drove any slower that was in front of them. Turns out they were cruising at 120-140 mph.

One of the guys was super nice and understood I had never driven my car that fast and on those kind of roads, and he hung back with me. My question is...is this how most runs are? I found it to be very stressful and not much fun. I also found it rude that some of the guys involved kept teasing me over lunch and telling me they wanted to see some M3 muscle. (I had the onlyM3 in the group) To which I replied that I refuse to drive outside of my comfort zone, and they knew that going in. With that being said, I wasn't driving like a Grandma either.
Good for you for sticking to your guns, staying within your comfort zone, and not being reckless! It's obvious that you are very assured about both yourself and what your car is capable of doing and don't feel the need to prove anything. I'm sure the kind of reaction you experienced is due to ego issues as well as the excitement of chasing the thrill. Regardless, it is most unfortunate. Did those guys seem at all concerned that they were driving at speeds that could send them to lockup?! I understand that it's easy to get caught up in the moment, but it amazes me that people are so willing and eager to engage in the kind of activity that could turn very bad all around if/when caught. Or even worse, when god forbid an innocent bystander becomes a victim. The $$$$ expense associated with getting through such an undesirable predicament could buy A LOT of track time.

Speaking of which, congrats on your upcoming track time...I bet you are muy excited!!!

2012 M3 E92 SS-II
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #32
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
There is another run coming up next month, and I really don't know if I'll go or not. So, it all just got me wondering if this is what most runs are like?
Hi Chery,

Sorry to hear the fellows gave you such a hard and stressful time. Perhaps you enjoy going to a meet more you can drive at your own pace you know what I mean

We had a meet here on Saturday ... it was great fun ---> Click here to check it out

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 03-19-2012 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #33
BMWJones
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Space Gray 6/MT

Always drive your car at the speed you're comfortable with, don't give in to peer pressure, and enjoy the scenery. Getting instruction at the track will pay off in the long run...too many people drive fast without understanding the ramafications of their actions. Hats off to you
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #34
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Cheryl, you didn't do anything wrong, stick to your comfort zone. At the end, you will still have your car to drive tomorrow and the next day. You don't have to prove anything to anybody on what the M can do, it should be self explanatory on what your car can do. Sorry that the guys gave you a hard time, I myself do not like driving with idiots like that.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #35
erm324
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

From my experiences the rallies and car runs ive been on usually are balls out with mostly all the cars travelling at very high speed/racing. Depending on the size of the group, well usually split up and have the faster guys in their own group out front and the slower guys falling behind (well either wait for them at a meetup point up ahead or at the location if its close).

Personally I am one of those who tends to race etc..., but I never give others shit for not wanting to push it on the roads and respect their decision. When another fast/exotic car downshifts next to me on the highway looking to line up (and theres another 10+ cars around me either with their video cameras out or ready to run too) I can't help but hitting the M button, dropping it into gear, and going WOT.

On runs with ER (exotics ralley) the cops know were coming out and habeclosed down the highway just to pull the entire caravan over on multiple occassions..in the end its a personal choice and noone shoudl be giving you shit for wanting to go at your own pace.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #36
ksflatlander
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Good for you! Glad you didn't bow to the peer pressure. Very well may have saved your life or at least your license!

I agree with the post about buying a helmet. You said you're going to get some track time and then you'll want more. May as well get the helmet know and avoid the "smelly helmet" thang...

Have fun!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #37
Blotman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT

You had every right to be uncomfortable, and no one has a right to tell you that you should have felt otherwise. Taking that to the track where it belongs is way smarter. It may be just as terrifying the first time around, but just keep inching out of your comfort zone, and you may find how much of a blast it is! Not to mention that it's completely legal and safer with emergency workers on hand.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #38
Mr C
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 Dakar and E90 AW

In SoCal about a month ago there was a RUN, and while heading out (I was in the very back) I guess everyone was trying to keep up, and guess what, yep, someone in a 335i was following too close and Rear-Ended one of the M3s.
      03-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #39
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post
I'm all for some "spirited" driving but that sounds reckless. Driving that fast should be saved for the track. If they make fun of you for not being reckless with them then they are probably not the kind of people you want to associate with. Eventually something bad will happen when you're pushed outside of your comfort zone.

When I lived in Tucson I got together with some local guys for a drive and it was a similar situation. They left me in the dust on a road I had never driven and 10 minutes in a guy crashed into a tree. He jumped in someone else's car (he was not hurt) and they all took off again. When we got to our destination they gave me a hard time for being so slow, even the guy that left his car against the tree. I never went anywhere with them again.

If you're not a member already, consider joining the BMWCCA and go to one of the HPDE events. It's off public roads and you'll have an instructor in the car with you, teaching you about driving techniques. It's probably the safest way to have a great time in your car around other like-minded enthusiasts.
I will look into this. It sounds exactly like what I need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
You will love it and come away with a new appreciation for your car, driving and how bad the motoring public is. And go buy a helmet. Even if you never use it again, its a cool piece to have around as conversation starter

Or you could do what I do. Just wear it back and forth to work
This is what I'm hoping for Mike. I also thought I could turn my helmet upside down and fill it with M&M's. Red ones, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
+1000! Congrats Cheryl!!!

OP: Ditch those guys... they sound like a bunch of posers. The guys who speed the most on public roads are the slowest on the track - it's pathetic.
Thanks bestie. I just really want to get some track time in so I'll be really skilled at handling the Beast this summer. Oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
I have gone on a lot of caravan runs over the past few years and I def know what your talking about. I myself do not enjoy driving all out on the HWY or any other non track locations. It is a common theme with all caravans I seem to go on that its all about who can go the fastest and show off their cars speed and exhaust note.

What I usually do is just roll at the speed that I am comfortable at and if that means I show up late or slightly behind the group I am ok with that. So my advice to you would be to do the same. If you are not comfortable driving at the caravan speeds don't. Enjoy the drive and catch everyone at the end point.
This is what I plan to do at the next run next month. I will give it one more shot. Worst comes to worst, I'm just turning around and coming back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
That's got to be one of life's weirdest feelings. When you're getting along with a group of people who all seem to be normal like you consider yourself, then they all turn out to be batshit crazy, and you're left with the option of going along with it or being the guy that gets up and leaves.

It was like this when two or three of my closest friends in high school started snorting coke and injecting heroin. I was like, WTF, I thought we were all of the same mindset here, left, and never hung out with them again.

I think I'd get the same feeling if people were making fun of me for not going 140mph on public canyon roads.
My thoughts exactly. The group all gets along so well, and then they turn into people I didn't even recognize on this run. Unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeWonder View Post
Hate to be off-topic but what other cars were there?
They were all different models of BMW's. Of course, i was the only one who needed to stop for gas! There was one beautiful Audi TTS in the coolest Orange color with black wheels. He was the nice guy who hung with me. Actually, at lunch, the guy who was driving the fastest asked him why he was hanging back. He answered "To stay with Cheryl." Now, that's a nice man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Freeeek! View Post
Good for you for sticking to your guns, staying within your comfort zone, and not being reckless! It's obvious that you are very assured about both yourself and what your car is capable of doing and don't feel the need to prove anything. I'm sure the kind of reaction you experienced is due to ego issues as well as the excitement of chasing the thrill. Regardless, it is most unfortunate. Did those guys seem at all concerned that they were driving at speeds that could send them to lockup?! I understand that it's easy to get caught up in the moment, but it amazes me that people are so willing and eager to engage in the kind of activity that could turn very bad all around if/when caught. Or even worse, when god forbid an innocent bystander becomes a victim. The $$$$ expense associated with getting through such an undesirable predicament could buy A LOT of track time.

Speaking of which, congrats on your upcoming track time...I bet you are muy excited!!!
I am really excited and a little bit scared too! I'll let you know how it goes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Peter View Post
Hi Chery,

Sorry to hear the fellows gave you such a hard and stressful time. Perhaps you enjoy going to a meet more you can drive at your own pace you know what I mean

We had a meet here on Saturday ... it was great fun ---> Click here to check it out
Wow, what great pix!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
Cheryl, you didn't do anything wrong, stick to your comfort zone. At the end, you will still have your car to drive tomorrow and the next day. You don't have to prove anything to anybody on what the M can do, it should be self explanatory on what your car can do. Sorry that the guys gave you a hard time, I myself do not like driving with idiots like that.
Thanks for your support. What really surprised me is these guys were my age or older.

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #40
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Never drive above your comfort zone on the road. Most groups are civil and tend to divide into groups depending on whether you're a road warrior or a stop and smell the roses kind of driver. It's a good idea to determine this for youself before you start out. The idea of these runs is to enjoy your car, the ride and get home in one piece. You're always going to have the A type personality, highly competitive guys who'll raz you. But who cares, give it right back to them - believe me, they enjoy that.
Appreciate 0