BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
yomny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335is 6spd

Question Compression/rebound questions

I've been reading around but cant really find anything on the effects of rebound on the cars suspension. I know bound and rebound has to do with weight transfer on the accel/decel scenario and the vertical movement of the wheel. I understand the harder the compression the stiffer the ride and the more shock will be transferred to the chassis and the driver. I just don't get how the rebound stiffness affects the ride/weight distribution etc. Does a stiff rebound mean the shock will decompress fast or slow, how does it affect the ride. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

You can picture rebound as how the tire goes over the "holes/gaps" in the road. If the tire is going to fill in the gap and stay contacted to the surface or is it going to skip over the gap.

So you want to fill the gaps because it will give you more grip for breaking, accelerating, turning, etc.

Here is an article that might help you some. Click Here
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
yomny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Great article, i'll be reading it with extra care, so in short the rebound determines how quickly the tire will fill the hole or dip. So I'm assuming that a stiffer setting will fill the hole slower? Really appreciate your response, it helps a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Rebound is by far the more important of the two settings..dialing in rebound and compression settings for the car and type of driving can be complicated.

Here is another good article that you might find useful..Click Here
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Great article, i'll be reading it with extra care, so in short the rebound determines how quickly the tire will fill the hole or dip. So I'm assuming that a stiffer setting will fill the hole slower? Really appreciate your response, it helps a great deal.
Right the higher rebound setting will slow the recovery down from the compression. Most drivers like the feeling of more rebound but you are usually faster with less rebound.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
yomny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSmotorsports View Post
Right the higher rebound setting will slow the recovery down from the compression. Most drivers like the feeling of more rebound but you are usually faster with less rebound.
Sorry just trying to wrap my head around this, by higher rebound you mean stiffer setting, or does stiffer setting mean less rebound, i think the latter one sounds correct?

I would assume the easier(less stiff setting) the tire drops into a gap or hole the better the grip?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Turning higher, meaning closing the valves on piston. Which would make it longer for the piston to recover since the valves are closed more.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
yomny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Got it, thanks a lot. Really appreciate your time and support.
Appreciate 0