BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
BlauSaloon
Baby Daddy
Rep
Drives: Interlagos E90

Powertrain Plus or Gold Extended Warranty

Hey guys, I've searched everywhere but can't find the answer to this. Do either the Powertrain Plus or Gold extended warranties cover the Idle Air Control Valve replacement? Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

bmwusa.com has all the info you need on what each warranty covers. I believe the powertrain plus would cover this as it warrants all the main engine/fuel system/transmission parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
BlauSaloon
Baby Daddy
Rep

Thanks gator! I have read through the PDF brochure front and back, but it does not specifically list the "Idle Air Control Valve" as a covered item. Also there seems to be little difference between the PT+ and Gold warranties in terms of Engine/Fuel System/Transmission items covered, the exception being that Gold covers all related gaskets. Is Gold worth the extra price considering the additional electrical parts covered as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

IMO not its not worth the extra price. The PT+ is already expensive and anything more just does not seem to be cost beneficial.

I got the 7yr/100k PT+ for my car because I wanted to be covered in case of catastrophic failure i.e. engine failure, transmission failure, etc...potential repairs that could cost major $. I wasnt too concerned about the other stuff like the electronics, a/c, etc because those items likely wont require a costly repairs and I would always temporarily live without them if need be (unlike if my engine blows and the car wont move).
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
BlauSaloon
Baby Daddy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
IMO not its not worth the extra price. The PT+ is already expensive and anything more just does not seem to be cost beneficial.

I got the 7yr/100k PT+ for my car because I wanted to be covered in case of catastrophic failure i.e. engine failure, transmission failure, etc...potential repairs that could cost major $. I wasnt too concerned about the other stuff like the electronics, a/c, etc because those items likely wont require a costly repairs and I would always temporarily live without them if need be (unlike if my engine blows and the car wont move).
Agreed, I am heavily leaning towards the 7/100 PT+ plan. However I've been corresponding with a reputable finance guy from Pacific BMW and he states that the Idle Control Valve is ONLY covered if I get the Gold plan... Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

I cant speak to the accuracy of that statement as I do not know what is involved in fixing the idle control valve. If its something engine related (which it sounds like it is) then it should be covered.

Have you had problems with this in the past? Why are you so concerned about this one issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
BlauSaloon
Baby Daddy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast
I cant speak to the accuracy of that statement as I do not know what is involved in fixing the idle control valve. If its something engine related (which it sounds like it is) then it should be covered.

Have you had problems with this in the past? Why are you so concerned about this one issue?
Well the ICV seems to be the most prone to failure in our cars, as evidenced recently by a fellow forum member. Luckily he had an aftermarket extended warranty that his local dealership honored at a repair cost of $3.5K. Just want to cover all major items after my original warranty ends, at the same time saving me $2K by not opting for the Gold plan.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated by those that purchased the PT+ or Gold plan or plan to do so.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post

I went this route as well. Not worth the extra to get gold.
Appreciate 0