BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

09-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Custom build m3

Hey guys,

I just joined the m3 forum, so im new.

Im looking to buy a m3 in probably silverstone (not sure yet), but i have yet to find a dealership with a 2011 m3 in silverstone. so they suggested that i custom build one from the ground up. does any one suggest that i do this? i would like a basic m3 without all the premium, tech, or competitive packages either, so they also recommended that i custom build it (which i kinda agree with)

BUT, im worried that if i put my 1 grand as down payment, that they may keep it if i dont like it and dont buy. they told me that they will give me a full refund, but i dont exactly trust em. are there any horror stories about custom ordering? i just dont like to buy without trying or seeing the car.

any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
toper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C4S Cab

get it in writing that you can backout of the deal and get your deposit back...also, use a credit card for your deposit so that if they try any funny business you can reverse the charges.

and if you "don't exactly trust em", then why are you doing business with them???
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 02:03 AM   #3
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Why don't you just find someone local who has something similar to what you want to get. If you are in socal im sure there are plenty of silverstone cars. Probably a few striper cars too...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
Dice13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 AW E93 M3

I think any in stock cars you might find will be optioned out for the most part.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice13 View Post
I think any in stock cars you might find will be optioned out for the most part.
I agree!

Also, you really need to see Silverstone before ordering it. I thought it was a base silver color. However, it has alot of blue in it. Some like it, some don't. Best to see the color before waiting 2 months on an order only to find out you don't like it once it arrives.
      09-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Def like above posted go look at it in person, it makes a huge difference. Also don't order something unless you know you are going to take it. Its kinda of a dick move to custom order a car from a dealership and then at the last minute decide o i think i'll pass. I would go to a dealership look at the color then ask them to do a dealersearch and see if the car your looking for is out there somewhere. Then if you really like the color and your happy with the price then see if they can negotiate the trade with the dealer who has the car that you want. GL

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Why would they allow you to back out if you place a custom order for a car and the car goes into production? Am i missing something? Isn't that what the deposit is for?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

you are allowed to back out of a deal at anytime but you lose your deposit. Most dealership will charge more of a deposit based on how custom the vehicle is. For example if someone comes in requesting a crazy color combo like say blue with red interior (just using it as a example so if you have the combo dont get upset) the dealer may ask for more of a deposit bc they wouldn't want to be stuck with that car on the lot.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberry View Post
Hey guys,

Im looking to buy a m3 in probably silverstone (not sure yet), but i have yet to find a dealership with a 2011 m3 in silverstone. so they suggested that i custom build one from the ground up. does any one suggest that i do this? i would like a basic m3 without all the premium, tech, or competitive packages either, so they also recommended that i custom build it (which i kinda agree with)

BUT, im worried that if i put my 1 grand as down payment, that they may keep it if i dont like it and dont buy. they told me that they will give me a full refund, but i dont exactly trust em. are there any horror stories about custom ordering? i just dont like to buy without trying or seeing the car.

any suggestions?
riverside has one, check their inventory. + dealer to dealer trades happen on a day to day bases.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
if it's considered a refundable deposit and is stated as such on the paperwork, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about... I had to put down $1k for my order as well as my car is also fairly base (E90, AW/speed cloth, ZCP, Moonroof, Heat, Folding Rear, iPod)

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by toper View Post
get it in writing that you can backout of the deal and get your deposit back...also, use a credit card for your deposit so that if they try any funny business you can reverse the charges.

and if you "don't exactly trust em", then why are you doing business with them???
i dont trust girls but do plenty of business with them.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

I know of many people who have custom ordered their BMWs to spec from Germany, and who weren't required to put any down payment whatsoever on the car. My personal experience is the same ... as I've ordered two custom BMWs from Southbay BMW and was never asked to put any down payment down. If you're uncomfortable with what your CA is asking of you, find another CA at another dealership who will put your order in without the down payment. It shouldn't be too difficult.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Quote:
Hey guys,

any suggestions?

ummmmm, never bought a new car before ?

good luck
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #14
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I know of many people who have custom ordered their BMWs to spec from Germany, and who weren't required to put any down payment whatsoever on the car. My personal experience is the same ... as I've ordered two custom BMWs from Southbay BMW and was never asked to put any down payment down. If you're uncomfortable with what your CA is asking of you, find another CA at another dealership who will put your order in without the down payment. It shouldn't be too difficult.
Same here. 2 custom ED cars from Southbay, no deposit needed. But then they were not some crazy color combos.

Besides, isn't deposit fully refundable if you live in CA?
      09-06-2010, 01:39 AM   #15
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
ummmmm, never bought a new car before ?

good luck
yup, you nailed it. im only 22
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 01:52 AM   #16
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
WOW! perfect then. thanks everyone for the advice. i will go to southbay then. i went to alhambra today and the sales rep (John Red) said he needed 2 grand down and its not refundable. i dont believe a single word he told me. he was shady. oh ALSO, the e90 that i test drove already had 1k miles on it and was trying to sell it to me at sticker price. wtf is going on at that dealership?

i want a very basic m3 e90 that is not too crazy.
silvertone metallic, which cloth or black leather. stock trim, dct, the low jack option, and fold down rear seats (gotta put my surfboard somewhere). nothing too crazy, nothing too special, no crazy color combos. just basic, bare bones and light.

if i really do order a custom build m3, i will 99.999999999% buy it, especially since it was custom built just for me. thats pretty sweet. but, there is that freak chance that things are wrong or are just doesnt look right or something unexpected happens. you know? i just want to protect myself if sh*t happens. thats fair, rt?

Last edited by crackberry; 09-06-2010 at 03:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #17
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

If you wanted to order a car like that from me; I'd require at least 2K for a deposit (and non refundable.)

That car is sale proof if you back out.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #18
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
WOW! perfect then. thanks everyone for the advice. i will go to southbay then. i went to alhambra today and the sales rep (John Red) said he needed 2 grand down and its not refundable. i dont believe a single word he told me. he was shady. oh ALSO, the e90 that i test drove already had 1k miles on it and was trying to sell it to me at sticker price. wtf is going on at that dealership?

i want a very basic m3 e90 that is not too crazy.
silvertone metallic, which cloth or black leather. stock trim, dct, the low jack option, and fold down rear seats (gotta put my surfboard somewhere). nothing too crazy, nothing too special, no crazy color combos. just basic, bare bones and light.

if i really do order a custom build m3, i will 99.999999999% buy it, especially since it was custom built just for me. thats pretty sweet. but, there is that freak chance that things are wrong or are just doesnt look right or something unexpected happens. you know? i just want to protect myself if sh*t happens. thats fair, rt?

If you haven't already gone, ask to speak to someone in their internet sales department. Phillipe Kahn is probably your go to guy. He is their internet sales manager and has a pretty good reputation from what i recall on that other forum

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #19
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you haven't already gone, ask to speak to someone in their internet sales department. Phillipe Kahn is probably your go to guy. He is their internet sales manager and has a pretty good reputation from what i recall on that other forum
oh yah, i was actually talking to him today. he requires a 5k deposit. ouch! i really have to weight my options and proceed with caution. some ppl say 1k some say more 2k some say 5k.

im also open to the idea of euro delivery but i keep asking these CA's, and they are not sure about the specific details and have a problem giving me a straight answer.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #20
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Vil View Post
If you wanted to order a car like that from me; I'd require at least 2K for a deposit (and non refundable.)

That car is sale proof if you back out.
oh, and why is that deposit nonrefundable. i thought california law said that all deposits are refundable if i dont buy.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 01:50 AM   #21
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
oh yah, i was actually talking to him today. he requires a 5k deposit. ouch! i really have to weight my options and proceed with caution. some ppl say 1k some say more 2k some say 5k.

im also open to the idea of euro delivery but i keep asking these CA's, and they are not sure about the specific details and have a problem giving me a straight answer.
Well Philippe is definitely your go to guy on the west coast for ED. if you were east coast i'd say David Avilles over in MD. Philippe is about as knowledgeable as they come and he'll do between 300-500 over European Delivery Invoice for you. But for ED, they WILL charge a deposit. That's pretty typical I would say.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 02:11 AM   #22
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well Philippe is definitely your go to guy on the west coast for ED. if you were east coast i'd say David Avilles over in MD. Philippe is about as knowledgeable as they come and he'll do between 300-500 over European Delivery Invoice for you. But for ED, they WILL charge a deposit. That's pretty typical I would say.
i finally spoke to someone who knows about ED. cant believe how few employees know the specifics about it. what happens is that i have to first put a deposit, then send in my passport and drivers license, then 1-3 weeks before my departure i have to buy, or lease the car before i go to europe. then i go to munich, pick it up, and drop it off within 14 days at some locations. ill drop it off on the same day at munich since ill be on a tour bus of europe.

now, i have to decide if i want a 4th generation or 5th generation m3.
Appreciate 0