BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #419
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
I am still not getting the point you are trying to get across? Why would I have to "fab" one up, when I have a few of them? I have fixtures and all CAD drawings for the systems.

Please read this thread carefully. The location of the X is only a part of the equation to making power. There are other pipes out there that moved the X forward from the stock position... This system was carefully engineered for the S65, taking many factors into account.
? I never said you should fab one up. If you reread, I said that rather than wait (as it's been 2 years since this thread began) a competent shop should be able to make an x pipe utilizing the crossover upstream such as yours/Gintani. I could never wait 2 years for an exhaust. I mean I have had 4 cars come and go in the past 2 years. Tomorrow isn't promised, I'll leave a few HP on the table to eliminate the cats today and still gain considerable power rather than wait for something that may never be had.

I was never knocking you or your product as you build nice stuff, just suggesting alternatives to waiting. That's the point of the forums; sharing knowledge. Unfortunately, we get attacked here if we stray off the beaten path. Probaly why my Hartge muffler hasn't sold b/c people are scared to run a rare muffler they are unfamiliar with. May as well follow the crowd and run Akra mufflers and BBS wheels!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #420
e92livin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
Ah I see what you're saying.

Again, just curious, valved exhausts don't entice you?
Not really, the only valved one that sparks interest is IPE. Then again I have this weird myth in my head that nothing can flow better than the OEM rear section.
|Gintani Supercharged|Gintani X-Pipe|Stack Gauges|Volk TE37SL|BC Racing Coilovers|Nitto NT05R |BMW Performance Spoiler|BMW Performance Steering Wheel|BMW Performance Side Gills + Grilles|Mode Carbon V1 Endurance|IND Tri- Stitched Shift + Brake Boot - 566WHP, 371WTQ |

Last edited by e92livin; 02-18-2015 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #421
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92livin View Post
Not really, the only valved one that sparks interest is IPE. Then again I have this weird myth in my head the nothing can flow better than the OEM rear section.
Not a myth, per se. BMW engineers have millions in R&D. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't engineer something so restrictive to the point where you'll find a ton of gains just from the mufflers.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #422
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
? I never said you should fab one up. If you reread, I said that rather than wait (as it's been 2 years since this thread began) a competent shop should be able to make an x pipe utilizing the crossover upstream such as yours/Gintani. I could never wait 2 years for an exhaust. I mean I have had 4 cars come and go in the past 2 years. Tomorrow isn't promised, I'll leave a few HP on the table to eliminate the cats today and still gain considerable power rather than wait for something that may never be had.

I was never knocking you or your product as you build nice stuff, just suggesting alternatives to waiting. That's the point of the forums; sharing knowledge. Unfortunately, we get attacked here if we stray off the beaten path. Probaly why my Hartge muffler hasn't sold b/c people are scared to run a rare muffler they are unfamiliar with. May as well follow the crowd and run Akra mufflers and BBS wheels!
Hey, what did I do?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #423
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Hey, what did I do?
you're ok!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #424
e92livin
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Line them all up and dyno them on the same car on the same day and I think you would find the differences to be pretty minimal. There really is not much to the design. I suppose the person making it could really botch up the fabrication, and that would hurt power slightly.
Put a topspeed x pipe (ebay) against Maleks or Gintani's I will garuntee the increase in power is a lot more noticeable and makes more power across the board. I have ran a few x pipe in the past and it boiled down to the Gintani x pipe because Malek's x pipe wasn't available at the time and the gintani x pipe yielded the best results on the street, track and dyno which is what matters in the end to me.
|Gintani Supercharged|Gintani X-Pipe|Stack Gauges|Volk TE37SL|BC Racing Coilovers|Nitto NT05R |BMW Performance Spoiler|BMW Performance Steering Wheel|BMW Performance Side Gills + Grilles|Mode Carbon V1 Endurance|IND Tri- Stitched Shift + Brake Boot - 566WHP, 371WTQ |
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #425
e92livin
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
Not a myth, per se. BMW engineers have millions in R&D. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't engineer something so restrictive to the point where you'll find a ton of gains just from the mufflers.
More bottom end due to back pressure I guess, I noticed it flows awesome so why touch it and possibly purchase a less free flowing exhaust system for more $?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 12:55 PM   #426
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Put a topspeed x pipe (ebay) against Maleks or Gintani's I will garuntee the increase in power is a lot more noticeable and makes more power across the board. I have ran a few x pipe in the past and it boiled down to the Gintani x pipe because Malek's x pipe wasn't available at the time and the gintani x pipe yielded the best results on the street, track and dyno which is what matters in the end to me.
to be fair, why not put a Dinan or every other x pipe that looks like OEM in comparison to the MRF/Gintani setups. Otherwise people will say, "Well it's an Ebay x pipe so of course it makes less power". The x placed up further is the biggest factor here and I know of a couple other shops who are building x pipes for other platforms and seeing good gains as well from running the x up as close as they can fit it. Not without saying though that just removing the primaries still makes good power otherwise there would be no market for test pipes.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #427
e92livin
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
to be fair, why not put a Dinan or every other x pipe that looks like OEM in comparison to the MRF/Gintani setups. Otherwise people will say, "Well it's an Ebay x pipe so of course it makes less power". The x placed up further is the biggest factor here and I know of a couple other shops who are building x pipes for other platforms and seeing good gains as well from running the x up as close as they can fit it. Not without saying though that just removing the primaries still makes good power otherwise there would be no market for test pipes.
Fair enough, I still think the MRF/Gintani x pipe will yield more power in the end.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #428
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
More bottom end due to back pressure I guess, I noticed it flows awesome so why touch it and possibly purchase a less free flowing exhaust system for more $?
This is true.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 01:21 PM   #429
MPowerZ32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

How much more power would MRF/Gintani make compared to the other catless pipes with OEM X location (Dinan, MS, or just simple test pipes)?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #430
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerZ32 View Post
How much more power would MRF/Gintani make compared to the other catless pipes with OEM X location (Dinan, MS, or just simple test pipes)?
Sounds like it's time for an x-pipe shootout!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #431
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Fair enough, I still think the MRF/Gintani x pipe will yield more power in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Sounds like it's time for an x-pipe shootout!
I for one would love to see that. It's been way overdue IMO.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #432
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
I would want to see those street, track and dyno results comparing the two x-pipes as well as some comparing say, a Gintani x pipe to an MRF x pipe.
Appreciate 0