BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

01-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Got them swapped yesterday thanks to IMG and Corry. Using OEM rod bolts and AMSOIL 5w-50. So far haven't noticed much except a little smoother probably due to oil change. Motor has 49,750k miles, never tracked. It's always driven lightly until full warmed up and even then all I really do is cruise at about 4-4.5 with occasional whomping going on freeway. Oil changes after 16k miles were done anywhere between 3k-7k miles.
Anyway, I don't think they should look like this. I'm glad I did them, now feeling more eat ease. What do you guys think of these?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Nice! Corry and Izzy ftw
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #3
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

Look just like mine did. Worth it to get them done.
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Any used oil analysis results before you changed them?

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 12:05 AM   #5
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
What do you guys think of these?
What i think... back when ethanol was not powering combustion engines the oil industry had to make much better refined gasoline because MBTE and before that lead were poor octane boosters. Now they rely so much on ethanol to boost octane level their base mix is much poorer quality which reduces refinery costs and boosts profit too. No problem because modern engine DME can compensate for fuel right ? Yes but that's a simplified view of a much larger problem. Ethanol completely changes the combustion reaction, it is an oxygenate and it has an hydroxyde OH group that gasoline does not have. What happens in the combustion chamber with ethanol + gasoline is extremely complex but the result is the CO carbon monoxide does not immediately convert to CO2 only when all the gasoline in the charge has finished burning does the ethanol burn and convert all CO to CO2 and it burns much faster causing pressure spikes in the cylinders. That alone does not cause worn bearings but ethanol also dilutes the oil and has a corrosive effect on bearings. Galvanisation or aluminium alloys to protect against corrosion does not stop or prevent corrosion it only slows it down.

Bearing corrosion by ethanol diluted in the oil + sudden high pressures in the cylinders due to fast ethanol burning after all the gasoline charge has burned (which the cooling presence of ethanol slows down) is what causes bearing to wear faster. The oil lubricity power is broken by ethanol. High RPM dilutes the oil faster with ethanol. Bearing corrosion can not be detected by Blackstone oil analysis as they use a spectroscopy method which only detects the levels of each elements not molecules.

Using ethanol free gasoline basically suppresses all risks of premature bearing wear.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 04:42 AM   #6
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3SSII
Quote:
What i think... back when ethanol was not powering combustion engines the oil industry had to make much better refined gasoline because MBTE and before that lead were poor octane boosters. Now they rely so much on ethanol to boost octane level their base mix is much poorer quality which reduces refinery costs and boosts profit too. No problem because modern engine DME can compensate for fuel right ? Yes but that's a simplified view of a much larger problem. Ethanol completely changes the combustion reaction, it is an oxygenate and it has an hydroxyde OH group that gasoline does not have. What happens in the combustion chamber with ethanol + gasoline is extremely complex but the result is the CO carbon monoxide does not immediately convert to CO2 only when all the gasoline in the charge has finished burning does the ethanol burn and convert all CO to CO2 and it burns much faster causing pressure spikes in the cylinders. That alone does not cause worn bearings but ethanol also dilutes the oil and has a corrosive effect on bearings. Galvanisation or aluminium alloys to protect against corrosion does not stop or prevent corrosion it only slows it down.

Bearing corrosion by ethanol diluted in the oil + sudden high pressures in the cylinders due to fast ethanol burning after all the gasoline charge has burned (which the cooling presence of ethanol slows down) is what causes bearing to wear faster. The oil lubricity power is broken by ethanol. High RPM dilutes the oil faster with ethanol. Bearing corrosion can not be detected by Blackstone oil analysis as they use a spectroscopy method which only detects the levels of each elements not molecules.

Using ethanol free gasoline basically suppresses all risks of premature bearing wear.
How widely is ethanol available NA? If this is true, it explains the large numbers of RB failures we're seeing there. This is the first time this argument has come to light. Anyone wish to challenge this theory?
      01-11-2016, 05:05 AM   #7
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
How widely is ethanol available NA? If this is true, it explains the large numbers of RB failures we're seeing there. This is the first time this argument has come to light. Anyone wish to challenge this theory?
Look at the numbers of cars and where they are.....this is why we are seeing them there
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 05:10 AM   #8
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger
Any used oil analysis results before you changed them?
Negative on that
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 05:41 AM   #9
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Not going to dispute this because I really couldn't tell you, but what I will say from observation is why is this issue only prevalent with BMWs NA M high revving motors? Shouldn't this be across the board along with other manufacturers?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 05:52 AM   #10
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Interesting input Joe.
In Sweden we have a 5% ethanol mix as it seems regardless of supplier and octane.
- What's the number in the US?

We only have around 500 E9x' over here, I've heard about at least a couple of engine brake downs due to bearing so obviously happens here as well but it seems very rare.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #11
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Got them swapped yesterday thanks to IMG and Corry. Using OEM rod bolts and AMSOIL 5w-50. So far haven't noticed much except a little smoother probably due to oil change. Motor has 49,750k miles, never tracked. It's always driven lightly until full warmed up and even then all I really do is cruise at about 4-4.5 with occasional whomping going on freeway. Oil changes after 16k miles were done anywhere between 3k-7k miles.
Anyway, I don't think they should look like this. I'm glad I did them, now feeling more eat ease. What do you guys think of these?
Thank you and glad all went well !
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #12
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
Nice! Corry and Izzy ftw
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 08:02 AM   #13
rcracin
Major
Rep

I'm sitting here laughing at how this dude arrived at a little ethanol being the cause of rod bearing wear. I'll remind all my friends running e85 to change their bearings after every tank of gas because the ethanol mixes with their oil and wears out their bearings.

We should inform blackstone about the issue so they test our oil samples for ethanol content. Thank you for this wonderful discovery!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #14
Sneaky Pete
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M car

But not in the same league of hilarious as three dudes with no experience of rod bearing design thinking they can come up with a better design than the BMW M division.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #15
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
But not in the same league of hilarious as three dudes with no experience of rod bearing design thinking they can come up with a better design than the BMW M division.
...you think it's just 3 dudes on this? Maybe if you actually read up on who helped develop this along with the "3 dudes" you wouldn't try that BS.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #16
rcracin
Major
Rep

Pure comedy. The design is the same as oem. Wanna know how? It's the same manufacturer. Just a little more clearance added. Not rocket science. Just a lot of experience and testing.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2016, 09:20 AM   #17
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Hey Sneaky Pete, you just joined and have 1 post.

Like to hear more on the bearing issue. What is your take on it and why?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #18
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Not going to dispute this because I really couldn't tell you, but what I will say from observation is why is this issue only prevalent with BMWs NA M high revving motors? Shouldn't this be across the board along with other manufacturers?
+1. "Joe" has some interesting comments, from the amazing performance difference without ethanol to this. Sorry, but I don't buy it. Eliminating ethanol will *not* solve a bearing clearance issue if you have one.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #19
m3aviator
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Quote:

Jesus where do you come up with this crap? And people really believe it too. Gee metal rubs off when it comes in contact with other metal.

You can't fix the problem with bearings. This is just more marketing bs. The crank has to come out of the car to fix the problem.

Wait let me sell you some bearings at a real good price.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #20
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
Pure comedy. The design is the same as oem. Wanna know how? It's the same manufacturer. Just a little more clearance added. Not rocket science. Just a lot of experience and testing.
Actually clearance is very different at 90 degree angle
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #21
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3aviator View Post
Jesus where do you come up with this crap? And people really believe it too. Gee metal rubs off when it comes in contact with other metal.

You can't fix the problem with bearings. This is just more marketing bs. The crank has to come out of the car to fix the problem.

Please tell me why the crank needs to come out?

If the bearings add clearance then whats the reason the crank should come out?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #22
m3aviator
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM VT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3aviator View Post

Please tell me why the crank needs to come out?

If the bearings add clearance then whats the reason the crank should come out?
Slap bearings in with out measuring anything? Rod ecc, rod stretch, journal diameter? Etc? You really think this is one size fits all? Every crank is the same? Every rod/main journal ?

This is all marketing nonsense. If at all anything put stock bearings back in, with stock bolts. Years of discussion and yet not a single engineer or anyone with inside knowledge has made a single post. Every single comment is pure speculation. The owners of this forum are in bed with the manufacturer. We know nothing for a reason.
Appreciate 0