BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

How much would you pay for total protection against speed/red light cameras?

How much would you pay for a product that defeated all known red light and speed cameras and had the following characteristics:

1. 50 state legal - does not cover the license plate or impact legibility in any way, shape, or form.

2. Aesthetically pleasing - you would not even notice it is on the car.

3. Active defense - not a cheap product like photoblocker sprays that do not work. It is a professionally designed active electronic countermeasure device that works over 99% of the time in all conditions.

4. Does not void any warranty or effect car in any way. Under 5 minute installation time.

Talking to car enthusiasts, I've had a wide variety of responses. I'm interested to see what people here think of the issue. Obviously, if you live in an area where there are no cameras, there's not much reason for you to purchase one - this is targeted at those who live in camera-happy regions.

Here are the questions I'd hugely appreciate if you could answer:

1. At what price would you consider the product to be so expensive that you would not consider buying it? (Too expensive)

2. At what price would you consider the product to be priced so low that you would feel the quality couldn’t be very good? (Too cheap)

3. At what price would you consider the product starting to get expensive, so that it is not out of the question, but you would have to give some thought to buying it? (Expensive/High Side)

4. At what price would you consider the product to be a bargain—a great buy for the money? (Cheap/Good Value)

Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

I saw something in the back of car and driver or one of the mags once abut some spray, that goes on clear on the license plate and when a photo is taken, it shows up all blurred out. Probably some bull shit but found it interesting.
      03-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
I saw something in the back of car and driver or one of the mags once abut some spray, that goes on clear on the license plate and when a photo is taken, it shows up all blurred out. Probably some bull shit but found it interesting.
Yeah, unfortunately none of those work. Would be a nice inexpensive solution though! With modern digital photography, the images are taken in RAW and they can just adjust the exposure automatically in their systems.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Where do all these trolls come from??

I'm waiting for the OP to have a product for sale......
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post

I'm not trolling. I'm trying to figure out whether or not it's worth sinking thousands of my personal cash into developing an idea.

It seems like the off-topic section of a car forum is the perfect place to speak with other automotive enthusiasts about the merits of the idea, no?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
I'm not trolling. I'm trying to figure out whether or not it's worth sinking thousands of my personal cash into developing an idea.

It seems like the off-topic section of a car forum is the perfect place to speak with other automotive enthusiasts about the merits of the idea, no?

No.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No.
Care to explain why not?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Care to explain why not?
Zero posts.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3
How much would you pay for a product that defeated all known red light and speed cameras and had the following characteristics:

1. 50 state legal - does not cover the license plate or impact legibility in any way, shape, or form.

2. Aesthetically pleasing - you would not even notice it is on the car.

3. Active defense - not a cheap product like photoblocker sprays that do not work. It is a professionally designed active electronic countermeasure device that works over 99% of the time in all conditions.

4. Does not void any warranty or effect car in any way. Under 5 minute installation time.

Talking to car enthusiasts, I've had a wide variety of responses. I'm interested to see what people here think of the issue. Obviously, if you live in an area where there are no cameras, there's not much reason for you to purchase one - this is targeted at those who live in camera-happy regions.

Here are the questions I'd hugely appreciate if you could answer:

1. At what price would you consider the product to be so expensive that you would not consider buying it? (Too expensive)

2. At what price would you consider the product to be priced so low that you would feel the quality couldn’t be very good? (Too cheap)

3. At what price would you consider the product starting to get expensive, so that it is not out of the question, but you would have to give some thought to buying it? (Expensive/High Side)

4. At what price would you consider the product to be a bargain—a great buy for the money? (Cheap/Good Value)

Thanks so much!
First and foremost this better available in Canada, if in fact you actually do a have a design for this. Also, could you make it block those ass hats taking pictures from there vehicle?

As for the product, I would want the best quality product, even if it is a little high. If this product only somehow blocked the view of the plate, I would personally hit every red light camera and speed cam in the city in one day, while I have some buddies sticking there bare ass's out the window, while I flip the bird in every single picture.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No, because your a sole person without an idea, in which it would cost you way more then a few thousand to develop. You have nothing on the table. This is a pipe dream, and you just ruined my dream. Troll
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Zero posts.
An excellent answer demonstrating an impressive use of mental facility. Not.

Quote:
First and foremost this better available in Canada, if in fact you actually do a have a design for this. Also, could you make it block those ass hats taking pictures from there vehicle?

As for the product, I would want the best quality product, even if it is a little high. If this product only somehow blocked the view of the plate, I would personally hit every red light camera and speed cam in the city in one day, while I have some buddies sticking there bare ass's out the window, while I flip the bird in every single picture.
Well, I have a design I've been dicking around with (I'm an EE by trade) but I don't know if I want to bring it to market. Costs are higher than I anticipated, and I'm not sure if it would be a viable company. I realize this is no substitute for true market research, but I've lurked here for a while and figured I might as well register and throw out the question.

It would also stop people taking pictures from their cars.

It would certainly work on a Canadian car, but I have no idea about the laws governing international exports or such.

Either way it's just fantasy at this point.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
SilverII
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335IS

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [9.66]
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Zero posts.
An excellent answer demonstrating an impressive use of mental facility. Not.

Quote:

Well, I have a design but I don't know if I want to bring it to market. Costs are higher than I anticipated, and I'm not sure if it would be a viable company. I realize this is no substitute for true market research, but I've lurked here for a while and figured I might as well register and throw out the question.

It would also stop people taking pictures from their cars.

It would certainly work on a Canadian car, but I have no idea about the laws governing international exports or such.

Either way it's just fantasy at this point.
...nvm my post above, if it works and under 2500 I'm sure people will buy it. Mind you, I think one problem selling it would be that I would think most people that would be able to afford it, arnt that stupied. So like me and many others, they probably remeber all the spots where these are located, and know when to slow and such.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
hundreds of thousands of dollars i'll wager. Maybe troll the Ferrari/Lambo/Veyron forums...they can bankroll you.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
...nvm my post above, if it works and under 2500 I'm sure people will buy it. Mind you, I think one problem selling it would be that I would think most people that would be able to afford it, arnt that stupied. So like me and many others, they probably remeber all the spots where these are located, and know when to slow and such.
Well it would be way cheaper than $2500, but the real problem is regulatory costs, fulfillment, paying for the molds, etc. I would have to go to VC's and that's a whole hassle in and of itself. And I'd fully expect to be shot down by VC's just based on the small market size.

The problem that I see it is that the tickets only cost $150ish. So It would have to be cheaper than that for people to buy it (and significantly cheaper for a company to be viable selling it) And unfortunately that wouldn't be possible even in large volumes.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 03-03-2012 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
e90fun
('''\(;,,,;)/''')
Rep
Drives: AW 335i e90

terrible idea.

why invent something to break laws such as red-light camera.

the lights are there for a reason, and its a damn good one..

speeding is fine (everyone does it) but running a red is just asking to either kill someone innocent or get t-boned yourself..
      03-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #17
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fun View Post
terrible idea.

speeding is fine (everyone does it) but running a red is just asking to either kill someone innocent or get t-boned yourself..
Red light cameras are a scam and increase rear end collisions at intersections where they are placed. The idea is not to let people run red lights, but rather prevent the government from issuing them an unconstitutional citation for $150 if they stop 2 inches over the (often invisible) line.

The whole reason I got the idea was because I got slammed in D.C. for stopping partially on a crosswalk (like two inches, literally).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
It's already done ...I bought a pair f X-Ray goggles at a 99 Cent store.

No one can catch me driving like a bat outta hell anymore when I put them on.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #19
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fun
terrible idea.

Your wrong, those fuckin cameras cause so much headaches it's not even funny. Every dam day I get stuck at a green light cuz some driver thinks its going to turn red soon. Then every week I get to almost rear end someone because there slamming on there breaks. Before the camera and in places where there are none I yet to see people going ape shit wanting to blast through red lights.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #20
e90fun
('''\(;,,,;)/''')
Rep
Drives: AW 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
Your wrong, those fuckin cameras cause so much headaches it's not even funny. Every dam day I get stuck at a green light cuz some driver thinks its going to turn red soon. Then every week I get to almost rear end someone because there slamming on there breaks. Before the camera and in places where there are none I yet to see people going ape shit wanting to blast through red lights.
wasnt aware that was a huge issue, I've never experienced anything like that but I can see how that could happen.

Then again, there aren't many red light cameras around where I live.

regardless, even with this invention there will still be many many soccer moms and etc that wont have this (probably wont even know about it) and will continue to be in front of you, slamming their brakes or waiting at a green.
      03-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #21
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi

I'd pay $80 max just to cover my ass when I travel in a city that I'm not too familiar with. Then again my 9500ix tells me where all of the red light cameras are so ya... $80 and I'd probably buy one.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #22
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Over here its not the cameras you need to worry about. You can clearly see red light/speed cameras. What you need to watch out for is traffic police. They are everywhere and I see people getting pulled over everyday. Even if they can't charge you for a certain speed they can do you for reckless driving (no need to prove what speed you were going). Therefore, I prob wouldn't buy any of the products lol.