BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #89
Coldeskimo
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 M3

Ok. Problem now solved.

I still hold the view that the previous advice in here and on other forums stated that the EDC was the only issue and this was ignored by the dealer initially.

Nonetheless, in the following order the stealership replaced the IBS cable thinking the corroded plug end was the cause. Not so, which meant the car was still drawing too many amps and still not going to sleep.

Car back to dealer. This time they identify its the Junction Box and replace this from another car and find the car finally goes to sleep. Ordered a new Junction box and replaced.

I come to take the car away and another warning comes up on the dash!! This time it's the EDC or Dynamic Dampening error message. I walk straight back in a demand answers now as I requested this to be reviewed initially. Suffice to say back it goes for another couple of days and a new EDC module is installed (fed up by this stage and didn't look for one online).

Hopefully, this diagnosis will help someone find the answers they require quickly as it has been over three weeks for me!

Given the number of instances of the EDC failing I will be advising BMW Aust of the issue. I have only 30k kms on the car and just 3 years old now. I expect this sort of failure of electronics from an iphone but not an M3!

Back to driving!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #90
opihi5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
when it happened to me I went on a long drive and it went away.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 04:39 AM   #91
Coldeskimo
Rep

I can't imagine a long drive solving a battery draining electronic component issue. My mechanic even tried a brand new battery with no luck so there is likely no relationship of my battery being charged from a long drive in solving the matter. I wish I was as lucky as you!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #92
ONE1
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

These cars rely on longer distance driving to keep the battery charged. My commute is less than 5 miles and about once a year I'll get this message. I just hook my battery up to a charger and it goes away for another year.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #93
Coldeskimo
Rep

Trouble was that I ran around in a brand new battery for a few days but the issue didn't disappear. Battery drain continued. A long drive or a slow battery charger to recharge the battery would not make any difference in may case.

However what you may have experienced is an aging battery that requires recharging by a trickle charge or a longer drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #94
bitchincamaro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT - Jerez Black

I am also dealing with this issue - "increased battery discharge".

Just replaced the battery the other day with a new H8 AGM. The old one did fail the battery test - However I wonder if this issue is what killed it. Hopefully it wont kill my new battery.

Has anyone solved this yet? I definitely don't drive that much and my key could possibly be close enough to trigger whatever might be draining it, but I was hoping someone might actually find a part that ended up being the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #95
SergeP
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92, MelRed, Mdrive, EDC, 6MT

Hi,

Is there any chance this "increased battery discharge" issue could be due to a failed alternator? Or would there be a different code or warning?
Just took my '09 m3 with a manual transmission out of storage after 6 months. Started the car without issue but got the increased battery discharge warming. My battery was replaced a year ago. I do have EDC.

Couple of questions:

How do you unplug the EDC module?
Is there a recall on these?

Thanks

Serge

Last edited by SergeP; 04-08-2017 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 03:49 PM   #96
SergeP
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92, MelRed, Mdrive, EDC, 6MT

Ok. 2 hours later restart the car. Message gone.

Been storing the car each winter since purchased. Never had that message before. Last year car simply would not start. Had it towed and it was determined that the the battery needed to be replaced. Normal I would say for a 6 to 7 year old battery.

Glad the issue corrected itself (or so it seems) but wondering why I never got the message before if this was due to the car being stored and not used for 6 l
months with no tricle charger and battery still fully connected.

Serge.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #97
bitchincamaro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT - Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitchincamaro View Post
I am also dealing with this issue - "increased battery discharge".

Just replaced the battery the other day with a new H8 AGM. The old one did fail the battery test - However I wonder if this issue is what killed it. Hopefully it wont kill my new battery.

Has anyone solved this yet? I definitely don't drive that much and my key could possibly be close enough to trigger whatever might be draining it, but I was hoping someone might actually find a part that ended up being the culprit.
Just following up on this - Since replacing the battery, I've had no more issues. Seems to have been my problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #98
qbnlykwhoa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

I was getting this message very often.

For example, at gas stations if I left the radio on with the car off or if I was working on my car in the garage and kept closing and opening the door often.

Symptoms that I experienced were halos not turning on when unlocking the car and unable to put the top down with the remote or with the car off.

I purchased a CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 on amazon and let the car do a battery recondition cycle over night and everything has been working great since.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 07:28 PM   #99
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
I have got the "increased battery discharge while stationary" message. I am still on my original battery - Sept '07 build.

I first noticed that something was wrong when I unlocked the car with the remote my angel eyes didn't light up. Drove home and no message. After an hour when I when to start the car the trip computer had reset and also I had to reset the time. This was followed by a warning when I started the car - yellow car on hoist symbol.

This is the first time I have got this message. Will put the car on a charge and see what happens. Maybe the cold weather is playing socks with the battery!
      05-29-2017, 02:38 AM   #100
Shazz
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'd say 10 years for a battery is a pretty good run

Batteries can last longer of course, but if I got 10 years out of mine, I'd be happy with that.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #101
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
I used to get this warning until I put the battery on a tender. Since then it's been fine, and going on 7 years.
      05-29-2017, 08:59 AM   #102
BGBF18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Just FYI, a weak battery being kept alive by a tender and then carried by the alternator may very well result in a fried alternator (from running more often). That's exactly what happened to me and it's WAY cheaper to purchase a new battery every three years over replacing the alternator. Frustratingly, the alt. doesn't die over night, but rather degrades gracefully over months killing the battery with it (if new).

Additionally, a bad EDC module is a known culprit for these issues as has been stated on this forum numerous times.
      05-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #103
MShift
OG
Rep
Drives: MW '13 E92

FWIW, had this issue and it was caused by a faulty aftermarket angel eye bulb. Something to look at if it applies to you.
Appreciate 2