BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

10-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Help with codes please!

Hi Folks - can any of the resident tuners / engine gurus help me with these codes. I know the first two are because I have the full exhaust (Akra Evo).

The third one seems to be a idle control valve issue but what about the fourth one?

The car is scheduled to go the dealer on the 28th to check these out. they already know about the full exhaust and haven't said anything about not covering warranty etc.
Attached Images

Last edited by w00tw00t; 10-22-2011 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
I think that the Lambda sensor is one of the O2 sensor on your car.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
The third one seems to be a idle control valve issue but what about the fourth one?
The weird thing is there's only ONE idle control valve, so why 'bank 1'? It could be a bad plug or coil, more than the idle valve IMO. As far as I remember, when idle control valve goes bad, there's no specific code. THAT's why it took so long for dealers and BMW to figure out what the heck was wrong when it started going bad. Do you have an erratic idle when cold, or any other typical symptoms? Plus you always get a litany of warnings when it goes bad. Please keep us posted on what dealer does, and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

yeah my car has trouble when I'm coming to a stop from speed. So there is no idle issue when I start the car, but when I'm driving and if I stop... sometimes (rarely).. the car will sort-of die when coming to a full stop. it'll almost switch off but then the engine will catch itself...

I'm taking it in this Friday ... I know the service advisor - he's a good guy so i'm confident i'll be well taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So there is no idle issue when I start the car, but when I'm driving and if I stop... sometimes (rarely).. the car will sort-of die when coming to a full stop. it'll almost switch off but then the engine will catch itself...
That's a different issue than the typical idle valve one. And yes, I've experienced it too 3 times in 3 years, after a long (high-speed) highway run, followed by some street driving to get to a gas station. And when I stopped, with the engine still idling, that's when it happened. Engine almost died, but caught before stalling. All 3 times happened after fueling at unknown gas stations that supposedly have heavy traffic (don't have a choice), so I chalked it off to questionable gas. If it was consistent, then I'd certainly look for a cure, but once a year is not enough to chase a ghost now . If you can't duplicate a problem, don't even bother with a dealer man. If it's a problem, it'll get worse for sure. And then you can get it fixed without any aggravation. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
That's a different issue than the typical idle valve one. And yes, I've experienced it too 3 times in 3 years, after a long (high-speed) highway run, followed by some street driving to get to a gas station. And when I stopped, with the engine still idling, that's when it happened. Engine almost died, but caught before stalling. All 3 times happened after fueling at unknown gas stations that supposedly have heavy traffic (don't have a choice), so I chalked it off to questionable gas. If it was consistent, then I'd certainly look for a cure, but once a year is not enough to chase a ghost now . If you can't duplicate a problem, don't even bother with a dealer man. If it's a problem, it'll get worse for sure. And then you can get it fixed without any aggravation. Good luck.
that's a good point because it hasn't happened for the last few days. maybe it was bad gas.

but I am worried about the last two codes (idle and the lambda sensor) - something is causing them so I want the dealer to take a look.. maybe i'll push out my dealer visit by a few weeks ...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
but I am worried about the last two codes (idle and the lambda sensor) - something is causing them so I want the dealer to take a look.. maybe i'll push out my dealer visit by a few weeks ...
As long as you don't have a CEL, it's not serious enough for an immediate dealer visit IMO. But don't erase the codes. If you have a CEL, I'd get it checked out now. Good luck man.
Appreciate 0