BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

08-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #45
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheStig View Post
As I said earlier we aren't the kind of people that sue for anything. But when you pay good money for a house in a good location only to have some hillbilly prick put up a cell tower right in your backyard - against several county rules, mind you - you can't help but feel like you got shit on. What we're trying to sue for is loss of property value and the fact that he and the county themselves aren't really doing this fairly. There are plenty of spots near supermarkets or uninhabited areas to build all the cell towers they please, but they had to chose our backyard and in plain view of dozens of families. You see why we're pissed now?

I hope you don't have to go through what we're going through right now.

Is it on your property or his property?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #46
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
As I said earlier we aren't the kind of people that sue for anything. But when you pay good money for a house in a good location only to have some hillbilly prick put up a cell tower right in your backyard - against several county rules, mind you - you can't help but feel like you got shit on. What we're trying to sue for is loss of property value and the fact that he and the county themselves aren't really doing this fairly. There are plenty of spots near supermarkets or uninhabited areas to build all the cell towers they please, but they had to chose our backyard and in plain view of dozens of families. You see why we're pissed now?

I hope you don't have to go through what we're going through right now.
Looking at your speedtest numbers I can see and understand why they are putting a cell tower there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #47
MonteB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Black on Black

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
From someone who knows the industry. Before buiding on a property, they must get approval for your local County Board. They must show the reasons why they want to build and the heath and safety regulations that they must stay within. That being said these meetings are open to the public for those who want to dispute the proposed build. If it had passed then there is not much you can do but appeal. The Carrier will build and put on air and make money off of it.

As far as it being an eye sore. I agree they are not good looking but that is not the prupose. Again, the County Board would have addressed it. There are many ways to make them more appealing. For intstance... If it is a monaple(one straight pole) then they can make it look as much as a tree as they can. They can also paint it to make it look like the surrounding backgrounds. This all would have been part of the approval from the Board.

I hope you get it resolved. Good luck with your fight.
      08-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #48
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

well, the point was that by asking those questions of the appropriate authorities, you can definitely put a damper on the cell phone companies plans. i just remember from being on the other side, when we were trying to get a development project approved, it would just take one citizen or homeowner complaining or asking questions to potentially derail a project. if you have all your neighbors aligned as well, i think you could pretty easily throw a wrench in the works for these guys...

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, but to be honest I don't know the answer to all those questions just yet.

UPDATE:
I did just find out that another cell company was looking to build one on his property and they thought they were supposed to be the ones building it there. They believe the company that's building it now are in violation because they were still supposed to have another hearing or something with the county. They also think the county is violating their own rules and they think we should sue them as well.

Also they had to get approval from the Army Corps. of Engineers because their property is a wetland, and they were surprised that they got it so quickly.

So now it seems that the company building it is trying to fuck the other company over and the county is trying to fuck us over.

And here's another interesting story: a few months ago a company was supposed to put 4ft antennas on top of our light poles that would boost the signal. We were told that it was approved and they would be installing them soon... they told us that back in like February or something and it hasn't happened yet. Now we and our attorney think that the county is in violation (again) for outright lying to us. According to their "laws" they didn't even have to tell us that the tower was going up 200ft from our fucking house. And if it we hadn't noticed the bulldozers back there we never would've even known about all this.

So again, everyone is trying to fuck us over.
      08-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #49
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a Tuk Tuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Is it on your property or his property?
Did you look at the pre-K quality drawing on the 1st page? It's his property but it's way closer to our house than it is to his own.

Quote:
Looking at your speedtest numbers I can see and understand why they are putting a cell tower there.
Two things:

1 - I got that speedtest result a year ago at my college.

2 - That was with an ethernet connection which isn't going to be influenced at all by the nearest cell tower.

Derp

Everyone else, thanks for all the input.
      08-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #50
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Did you look at the pre-K quality drawing on the 1st page? It's his property but it's way closer to our house than it is to his own.
Where his house is doesn't matter one bit. His property is his property is his property.

Like others have said, get the neighborhood together and string him up, or just complain.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #51
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Where his house is doesn't matter one bit. His property is his property is his property.

Like others have said, get the neighborhood together and string him up, or just complain.
We know that he has every legal right to build his tower there (unless it turns out they f'd up on some legal work with the county) but it's just the principle of it all. You don't do this kind of thing to your neighbors. He could have put this thing on another part of their property that wasn't close to either of our houses, but instead he chose to put it as close to ours as possible.
      08-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #52
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
You don't do this kind of thing to your neighbors.
I dunno man, that's subjective. I'd prefer to make all my neighbors my vassals and build a giant castle with a moat, and the lucky neighbors would be picked to stand guard in the towers, but I do understand not everybody wants to treat their neighbors that way.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #53
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I dunno man, that's subjective. I'd prefer to make all my neighbors my vassals and build a giant castle with a moat, and the lucky neighbors would be picked to stand guard in the towers, but I do understand not everybody wants to treat their neighbors that way.
Good thing I don't live by you then
      08-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #54
HungHingHK
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Your fighting an uphill battle for sure.

First. He is within his rights to do what he wants with his property
second. His city allows this
Its not your property and its not your city's jurisdiction you have no legal rights.

That being said, you can try the nuisance laws. For example. if there was to be a power line thing being build, those things emit a constant electrical static noise. Which will interfere with your right to enjoy your property. Thus giving you right to sue.

However Im not sure if the cell towers emit noise. The cancer thing is prob not guna work, since theres no concrete evidence that support that right now.
The 1 thing you can try is to complain visual nuisance, but its hard to prove that it does negatively impact your ability to enjoy your property.

good luck
      08-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #55
HungHingHK
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
We know that he has every legal right to build his tower there (unless it turns out they f'd up on some legal work with the county) but it's just the principle of it all. You don't do this kind of thing to your neighbors. He could have put this thing on another part of their property that wasn't close to either of our houses, but instead he chose to put it as close to ours as possible.
dood this is a capitalistic country. I am a moral guy but I wouldn't hesitate 1 bit if given the opportunity to make some money while my life is no disturbed, only my neighbors.

FUCK NEIGHBORS. ACQUIRE CURRENCY

also, there is a reason they put the tower at the spot that they choose. That's why they do land survey. Maybe the other areas are too soft for foundation. maybe the reception would be best at that location. so it is imo that they picked that spot for a purpose and its not random.
      08-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #56
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungHingHK View Post
dood this is a capitalistic country. I am a moral guy but I wouldn't hesitate 1 bit if given the opportunity to make some money while my life is no disturbed, only my neighbors.

FUCK NEIGHBORS. ACQUIRE CURRENCY

also, there is a reason they put the tower at the spot that they choose. That's why they do land survey. Maybe the other areas are too soft for foundation. maybe the reception would be best at that location. so it is imo that they picked that spot for a purpose and its not random.

I personally think that if those cell towers did not meet or pass safety standards or requirements they would not be allowed to be put up. In the US I would not worry about it too much but if it were in Cambodia or China then I would worry about it. The are so knit picky in the US these days that to do anything in the US is beyond pathetic. No matter what one does there will always be someone to complain about something. There are people that will give you the finger or call in and complain to the police if you pass them at what they think is too fast of a speed. If I am not mistaken those cell towers do no transmit and loud noises like as if a night club were next to you. Pretty or ugly is one's personal opinion and is not a fact. What one person feels about something is not necessarily what or how others feel.

I remember once where one guy wanted to change his one story house to a 2 story house and the neighbor got upset because he said that he would lose his privacy in his own backyard because he could not build a higher wall and the neighbor could see him from his windows on the second story. While this may be true that neighbor bought and paid for his property so why can he not build a second story on it? He ended up building the second story. My neighbor also built a second story and my mom was pretty upset and I told my mom that it is his property and he should be entitled to build on it. If my mom also wanted to build a second story she should also be allowed to build one.

Last but not least, these things are all subject to where you live. If you lived in a nice neighborhood like an upper class area of Manhattan Beach or Montecito I doubt there would be a cell tower going up on your neighbors place

Got any pictures you can post? Pictures help a lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #57
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Quote:
I personally think that if those cell towers did not meet or pass safety standards or requirements they would not be allowed to be put up.
Not saying cell tower is bad for you, but the government used to say Asbestos is safe and they used to put that stuff in everything. EPA also said the air at ground zero was safe.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #58
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
Not saying cell tower is bad for you, but the government used to say Asbestos is safe and they used to put that stuff in everything. EPA also said the air at ground zero was safe.

So how do all the big major cities have cell phone towers then
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #59
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
So how do all the big major cities have cell phone towers then
same reason all the major cities had asbestos being used everywhere... (I think is jpsum's point)
Appreciate 0