BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

02-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep
Drives: carefully

i HATE eBay

Long story short, I wanted to sell my Sony Ericsson P990 on ebay. The first time, a bidder won who had 0 feedback and was a brand new user, I automatically saw red flags. Indeed he tried pulling out the Nigerian scam on me.

Second time, I second offered to another bidder but he did not accept because he found the phone somewhere else, immediatly after he was outbid.

Third time, I relisted the phone and ebay got suspicious and thought that someone is using my account to list these items 2 days in a row so they cancelled out the listings.

So finally after explaining my situation to the fraud department, they gave me some hints (set preference to require bidders to have paypal only and request immediate payment upon hitting the "buy-it-now" feature), which I successfully set in to effect and relisted the item once again.

This time however, somebody did win it with a legitamate feedback of 100% but turns out that, that users account had been hijacked and yet again I received those same emails about the Nigerian scam!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I had a talk with ebay security again, here is the convo, they just don't give a s***.

shpuntiktwo:**Hi, I am very concerned. This is my 4th attempt at selling the same item on ebay and I can not get way from this rediculous fraud. The first couple of times, a member with 0 feedback and no bid history, won the item and tried to commit the nigerean fraud by sending me emails that he was a business man from UK, visiting the US and to send him the package to Nigeria, and then sent me a fake paypal email saying that he sent the money. However this time, item #250082339758 was sold to what looks like a legitamate ebay member with 100% feedback, however I am guessing that someone stole his account because yet again, I recieved the same set of emails for the exact amount shown. I can forward you these emails. My username is Shpuntiktwo, real name Dmitriy XXXXXXX, phone #XXX-XXX-XXXX Street Address XXXX XXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX. I am getting very very frustrated with eBay, it used to be a very simple process and I even took the advice of another service advisor and set my preferences to paypal only, however I can not seem to get away from this. Please advise.
Your chat session has started..

Shaquille:**Thank for you contacting Account Security Live Help. My name is
Shaquille and I would be happy to assist you. Please hold while I review your account and item # 250082339758

Shaquille:**It does appear that the account of cb700man was accessed by a third party to place unauthorized bids, we are in the process of securing this account.

Shaquille:**Your listing will be cancelled and all fees will be credited back to you.

shpuntiktwo:**I understand that, but what is the point of me putting these items back up for sale when all I get is fraud

shpuntiktwo:**don't you think that it is nothing but utter stupidity and ignorance for me to keep on listing these items, always knowing that I will get a scam?

Shaquille:**I do understand your frustration, the true account owner may have unknowingly replied to spoof email which led to the unauthorized bids.
shpuntiktwo:**that is of no concern to me, who is to say that the next time I put this item up for sale, this will not happen again?

shpuntiktwo:**because for the past 4 times, this is all that has been happening

shpuntiktwo:**logically, would you do it?

Shaquille:**unfortunately we cannot prevent it from happening again.

shpuntiktwo:**and why is that?

Shaquille:**if an existing account is taken over by a third party to place bids, we cannot prevent any bids from being placed until we detect the unauthorized activity.

shpuntiktwo:**right and that is understandable, however why can't other measures be taken into effect in order to prevent existing accounts from bieng taken over by unauthorized third parties?

Shaquille:**we have taken steps to educate our members on spoof emails such as creating a spoof tutorial, creating the eBay account guard, and the 'My Messages' feature.

shpuntiktwo:**this is getting no where Shaquille, because you are basically telling me that no matter what, I am always at risk to bieng defrauded on ebay

shpuntiktwo:**anyway I appreciate you returning the fees and cancelling out the listing, however I would appreciate it (even though chances are it will not be done), if you can escalate this conversation to the proper superiors. I am not the last person that will have this level of frustration, that I can guarantee. What I CAN NOT guarantee is that, that next individual will not take legal action.

Shaquille:**I do understand your frustration. The following page on fraudulent
payments can be viewed later: http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/isgw-f...-payments.html Your feedback is important to me. At the end of this chat, you will have the opportunity to take a survey on how well I’ve been able to assist you. I'm glad I could help you today. Thank you for using Live Chat, have a nice day

Your chat has ended. Please click the Quit button

What do you guys think I should do? Take my chances, pray, and re-list it? Or tell ebay to screw themselves and don't sell the phone.

In reality we all use eBay ALL the time, for whatever reason it may be it is a great resource. But when push comes to shove this is just straight up frustrating errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

-Dmitriy
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
NaViT
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3/E92 335i

lol ah man that blows
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

To be fair - you pay ebay a VERY small fee to act as a facilitator enabling you to agree a sale with another private individual.

You can hardly hold them financially to account if the other individual turns out to be a fraudster.

I'm pretty new to ebay - but I think that the system does work generally. Sounds to me like you just had some bad luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

+1, although I do agree Ebay sucks, but you can not blame the action of fraudulent indivduals solely on Ebay. Ebay is taking measures to prevent fraudulent activities, but as you know, there's not a cure-all solution to deter all frauds
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
To be fair - you pay ebay a VERY small fee to act as a facilitator enabling you to agree a sale with another private individual.

You can hardly hold them financially to account if the other individual turns out to be a fraudster.

I'm pretty new to ebay - but I think that the system does work generally. Sounds to me like you just had some bad luck.
      02-09-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post

I don't want to hold them financially accountable for anything, all I am asking is for them to instill some kind of new security system so that this can be prevented. I know its like taking a shot in the dark but it will be worth thier time in the long run. Also that VERY small fee for thier services, is what made them the #1 auction site and if they can not be held responsible for something that they are taking a financial gain from, then they would have been out of a business a long time ago. It is like you paying your AMEX a $50 dollar annual fee (roughly $4.02/month)for thier services, however if you get charged for an item that you have never purchased, they should just screw you over and forget about it???
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Hm....as a ebay seller, I would have to disagree that eBay sucks. However once something like this happens, ebay basically says "yeahhh...". Just be careful as a buyer/seller... basically in order to use eBay correctly you have to know what your doing Paypal, fees, relisting, return policies, feedback, confirmed address, confirmed account...all that stuff and you'll be fine.

But as for your situation...looks like you just got really unlucky with jackass buyers! I bet eBay will suspend/ban their accounts...don't think nothing will happen. It's not ebay that sucks...it's basically the stupid ass buyers/sellers out there
      02-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Corey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '92 240SX

I don't bother with ebay, I usually just look for deals or sell on forums. It's a lot easier dealing with a human than a bot sniping auctions and spamming you with scams.

"You're going to have your heart broken, and you're gonna repair it with zipties."
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Macan S

ebay = garbage
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #9
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I have both bought and sold a SE P990 on ebay and i was very happy with the amount i paid, and then the amount i sold mine for. I personally wouldnt do the buy it now feature, cause i think that opens you up to some extra fraud. Good luck! How much are you asking for it?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
leeJ
Private
Peru
Rep
Drives: ...

Write something like "Bidders must have 95%+ feedback or more than 10"
you can always cancel people's bids.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeJ View Post
Write something like "Bidders must have 95%+ feedback or more than 10"
you can always cancel people's bids.
kind of hard to perform when you don't know if they are real or not, as well as when it counts down to the last 10 seconds
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
Neil
The Designer
Rep
Drives: Nissan

As bad as Ebay can be sometimes, I've found some pretty crazy deals on there. I've never sold anything though.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 12:01 AM   #13
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
lol @ "Nigerian scam"
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 06:02 AM   #14
sillygoat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i tiag

same thing happened with me had to post my sony ericcson w900i up 3 times before i actually sold it... the first time this one guy outbidded everyone.. then i was notified that it was made by unauthorized bids.. then the second time was exactly like your nigerian scammer (haha)... finally got someone to buy it after posting it as a one day listing...

ebay sucks with selling phones...

if you try to buy a cell phone on ebay.. ull see a whole bunch of fake listings and stuff like that..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 06:59 AM   #15
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

ive made a lot of $$ on ebay...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #16
canuck335i
Private with no class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
ive made a lot of $$ on ebay...
same here, especially with the "Nigerian scam" method....

jk
Appreciate 0