BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #45
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

People ignoring the difference between DCT and SMG annoys the hell out of me. When I ordered my car, even some of the sales were calling it SMG. I couldn't care less at the time since I was ordering a 6MT, but it's still happening 2 years later.
      01-06-2011, 02:06 AM   #46
drifts500
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

When my sister drove M6, a police officer pulled her over...with no reason, but want to see the car....and asking about M6...

My sister answered all. SMG, horses, engine,,,etc....

I do not know about him!!!,,,

TE37RT with Hankook R-S3 265/285
Techtec ECU
Stock Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #47
Leozap
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

One of my friends asked me what's the diameter of one of my xpipes and I that I don't know and he was so disappointed and looked at me and asked me "how come you don't know it, you own an M3 and I don't know it?" lol that was funny though cause I don't even care and I don't ever give a damn to find out either.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #48
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
I bet some of these owners bought the car because their kid talked them into it.
This is the most likely story.......... I convinced a co worker to buy a Charger R/t over an Audi A6, because it was American, had a hemi and Audi supported the Nazi's.. lol. To this day he is still clueless about his Chargers specs.
      03-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #49
B R A N D X®
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars!

Confirmation that wanting to drive and being able to afford a nice car doesn't necessarily make you a "car guy".
"A toast then: To the BMW M3, the greatest all-around car in the world."
-Arthur St. Antoine, Motor Trend Magazine's Editor at Large
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #50
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #51
Leozap
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
That avatar is illegal my friend
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #52
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozap View Post
That avatar is illegal my friend
WHATS WRONG WITH THAT? i like that heart its in perfect shape....
      03-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #53
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

My Friend Has A Porsche Cayman And He Thinks It Goes 0-60 In 2 Seconds
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #54
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
Moral of the story... If M3's were only available in stick shift this sort of conversation would never happen.

The consequences have already been eloquently stated:
Some truth to that...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #55
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fool View Post
This is the most likely story.......... I convinced a co worker to buy a Charger R/t over an Audi A6, because it was American, had a hemi and Audi supported the Nazi's.. lol. To this day he is still clueless about his Chargers specs.
I've been driving a Charger rental car for the last week, and I think what you did is as bad as Hitler :-)

Hopefully his has better tires, interior, and is lowered about 6 inches compared to the POS the rental companies buy.
      05-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #56
WangTa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E46 m3, Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh
I live in suburbia and I don't see many M3s around. Mine is jet-black E92, Ray's is a white E92 and there is this other jet black E92 that I saw few times in the grocery parking lot. I park next to it hoping to "accidentally" meet and strike a conversation about M3 and may be we start some local mini M3 club or at least arrange for an M3 play date. I see it again, I park next to it (which is easy seeing that we both park at the end if the lot). I finished shopping and leaving the store, next to me, walking a guy who looks in his 50s
he says: another M3!!
Me: yeah I see you have the same one, how do you like it.
Him (staring at mine): is this a 2003?
Me (astonished): no it's a 2011, doesn't it look like yours?
Him: yeah, mine is 2009
Me: is your's MT or DCT?
him: mine is SMG (moving his fingers as if he's pulling on the shift paddles) how about yours?
Me(now trying not to laugh): mine is DCT
Him: I thought only M5s have DCT, is yours 6 or 8 cylinders?
Me (is this for real): M3s are all 8 cylinders since 2008.
Him: is yours 414 HP
Me (very surprised he got the number right): yep, just like yours.
Him: good luck!
Me: speechlessly smiling.
hah. Hilarious. Reality is, i totally know the type of guy. I'd say there are a ton of people out there that never get into the specs or details - they simply bought the car because they liked the way it looked or, because "it was the most expensive so it MUST be the best!!!"

Crazy thing is, a lot of rich, successful, supposedly smart people are like this. My boss, the founder of the company, is like that - he is obviously a smart guy and has been successful, but when it comes to details, the best he can do is distinguish his Porsche from my BMW. Some people just don't give a crap about the small stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 04:22 AM   #57
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

That was a funny conversation indeed OP! It's good that you maintained your composure all throughout the conversation... LOL!

I bet you guys that the guy who does not know anything about his 2009 m3 got ripped off the dealership as well.

He might have paid close to $90K for his 2009 m3 out the door with taxes and licensing.

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 04:38 AM   #58
dadealus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13'E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
That was a funny conversation indeed OP! It's good that you maintained your composure all throughout the conversation... LOL!

I bet you guys that the guy who does not know anything about his 2009 m3 got ripped off the dealership as well.

He might have paid close to $90K for his 2009 m3 out the door with taxes and licensing.
Standard stealership breakdown of the sale

him:Man I just saw some 2003 M3 and its amazing.I must have a better one. I want to have the most expensive model of this car!
salesmen: well sir your in luck! we JUST got in this new special edition M3 CRTSMGDCT With ultra rare roof painted to look like carbon fiber! let me tell you about it , it has 8 cylinders vs the standard 6! Its also got the special edition QUAD exhaust 2 more than the standard! its got a special SIX speed transmission! THATS 5 MORE VS THE STANDARD SINGLE "D" GEAR! and oh boy let me tell you about its special individualized *ahem* not cheap* ALPINE WHITE paint job! and lastly it has a special elitist package installed... see see.. look at that when you get into the car IT HANDS YOU YOUR SEAT BELT!
Him: thats awesome!
Salesmen: I know right? ONE OF A KIND RIGHT THERE! let me just go talk to my manager and see if its available......

salesmen comeback 10 minutes later
I spoke to my manager and its available but we have some one who is interested but not quite approved yet...... the car is $99,999 *wisper* but since your such a loyal customer* we could prolly let you have it for 97,959. but only today..... cause that other guy is more than likely going to get approved *wisper* and you know how rare and hard these things are to get, this is the first one we have gotten in a year... I cant even find one for sale anywhere on this side of the country*
Him: I'LL TAKE IT!

Last edited by dadealus; 05-03-2012 at 04:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #59
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Not surprised about the SMG confusion...

When I was at the dealer last week, waiting for my car to be serviced, I was ogling M cars in the show room. On the window sticker I read:

2011 M3
Transmission type: SMG

If the dealers can't even get it right, no wonder some customers are confused
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #60
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

Should have told him you had vtec.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #61
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: like he has much to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
People ignoring the difference between DCT and SMG annoys the hell out of me. When I ordered my car, even some of the sales were calling it SMG. I couldn't care less at the time since I was ordering a 6MT, but it's still happening 2 years later.
I dealt with multiple GTA SAs who expressly refused to call it DCT. I tried to correct them and say "it's called DCT now....." and they would look at me as if I was nuts.

Don't know what's worse, people buying these cars with no clue as to what they're getting, or salespeople pushing them with no clue what they're selling.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #62
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minigearhead View Post
it is just like the column in evo magazine a couple months ago. he admires an rs4 but debates whether or not to accidentaly park next to it because the owner might not be a "car guy" and just wanted the best car in the class.
Shit this is nothing new nor is there a problem with it. Car manufactures could care less about what potential customers know about an automobile much less be "enthusiasts". Case in point: all the bullshit the car salesman jams down your throat just to make a sale when it's clear HE doesn't know anything about the car either! They just want to sell cars.

I mean c'mon, you really think half of Ferrari owners know the first thing about their car? Have of them could give the complete history of Enzo Ferrari and the other half have replaced their owners manual with "The Official Dick Swingers Manual"
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #63
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccy Gic View Post
I dealt with multiple GTA SAs who expressly refused to call it DCT. I tried to correct them and say "it's called DCT now....." and they would look at me as if I was nuts.

Don't know what's worse, people buying these cars with no clue as to what they're getting, or salespeople pushing them with no clue what they're selling.

Why does it bug you? It's a car. People like nice things. When you go buy a diamond ring for your girl, you probably don't know the first thing about it being a VVS1 H. Nor do you care. It just looks shiny and she loves it.

Now if it was a D Flawless.... Now we're talkin!

I say good for people that actually want and drive nice cars. Most non enthusiasts have to start somewhere!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #64
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
Moral of the story... If M3's were only available in stick shift this sort of conversation would never happen.

The consequences have already been eloquently stated:
this is one of the dumbest things i have ever read on M3post.
      05-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #65
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: like he has much to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
Why does it bug you? It's a car. People like nice things. When you go buy a diamond ring for your girl, you probably don't know the first thing about it being a VVS1 H. Nor do you care. It just looks shiny and she loves it.

Now if it was a D Flawless.... Now we're talkin!

I say good for people that actually want and drive nice cars. Most non enthusiasts have to start somewhere!
Actually, I wasn't about to drop multiple $Ks on something without researching extensively. By the time I bought the ring I knew exactly what I was getting and had a solid understanding of what it was worth.

(It was an E, VVS2 and I'd like to think I snagged a pretty good deal )

As for annoying me, I take your point you can't expect all people to know what they're buying. You can expect a salesperson to know what they're pushing though.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #66
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccy Gic View Post
Actually, I wasn't about to drop multiple $Ks on something without researching extensively. By the time I bought the ring I knew exactly what I was getting and had a solid understanding of what it was worth.

(It was an E, VVS2 and I'd like to think I snagged a pretty good deal )

As for annoying me, I take your point you can't expect all people to know what they're buying. You can expect a salesperson to know what they're pushing though.
Agreed on the sales reps. It's the only industry where the sales reps don't know about their own product half the time. That does kind of bug me. In another life when I was a rep (not cars) I never had a problem saying to a client "Let me find out for you." Much better than making up some BS just to try to sell a product. That way, you both learn.
Appreciate 0