BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

EXXEL Distributions

02-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
TQPDWN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

From NYC visiting LA This week(sorry off topic)

Hello M owners,
I'm from NYC first time having a vacay in LA with my gf this week, asking a help from you guys will be thankful and greatful appreciated.
We will be staying somewhere around Hollywood,or downtown LA ,my question is where do we start of going to some nice romantic fancy restaurants,local famous foods and shop? beach? Thank you LA! M owners!
just to share some M sounds enjoy this short clip ///Higher Motorsport NYC

Big Thanks again!

Last edited by TQPDWN; 03-02-2013 at 01:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep

The weather is nice now in LA.

Drive west and hit all of the coastal cities like Santa Monica, lots of shops and restaurants, and the beach!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
TQPDWN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmike View Post
The weather is nice now in LA.

Drive west and hit all of the coastal cities like Santa Monica, lots of shops and restaurants, and the beach!
Thanks alot mike, would you recommend any famous steak house around LA?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
hypnotik126
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Mastros, CUT, BOA are a few LA steakhouses to consider. Visit the Chateau Marmont for that hollywood feel. Don't leave without having a #1 from in-n-out (get it "animal style" if you like your onions grilled). If you stay in Downtown LA then swing by Bottega Louie. Hike Runyon Canyon for one of the best views of LA and the hollywood sign along with the Griffith Observatory at night. Try the truffle burger from Umami burger in Santa Monica or Downtown. Santa Monica and the grove (check out the farmers market here too) are great places to shop/spend time. Enjoy your stay.

Last edited by hypnotik126; 02-25-2013 at 05:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Best Steakhouse is CUT, IMO.
Must try an In-n-Out as mentioned. You need to eat it right away. The drive through is usually faster than waiting inside.

Best restaurant would be Providence or Melisse, but you may need an Unami burger after Providence. Providence is also more in that area you'll be staying at.
For sushi, there's Matsuhisa (his original place) or his other places Nobu, which are available in a few cities.

Another icon is Pinks hot dogs, kind of in that area too. Just be ready for a LONG line. It moves pretty quickly, but it's still a line.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
andeee05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

The standard or perch for a rooftop bar. Everyone likes bottega Louie I live in downtown and I absolutely hate it. I only go when people from out of town really want to go. CUT for sure is my favorite.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
ikarishinjikun
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I recommend Urasawa (Beverly Hills) for a nice intimate but unfortunately long Japanese dinner. If you like sushi it is probably one of my favorite places outside of Japan.

Providence is also very good and I recommend Saddlepeak Lodge (Malibu) if you want to try game meat.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQPDWN View Post
Thanks alot mike, would you recommend any famous steak house around LA?
JAR restuarant is very nice and classy steakhouse (Mad Men era decor), but you can't lose going to Cut, Wolfgang (Wiener not Puck) Steakhouse (Peter Luger spinoff), Craft Steak, STK is swanky, Mastro's Steakhouse. JAR is my and the wifey's favorite...must order the lobster bearnaise with any steak order. I havent been to JAR in a year and I have noticed the star rating on yelp.com has gone from 4.5star to 3.5star so maybe try another place.

The best resturants are around the Westside. Many sweet places off Canon Dr in Beverly hills, Melrose area and Santa Monica... there is Comme Ca, Animal, Son of a Gun, AOC, Little Door, Bouchon, The Baazar @ SLS Hotel (molecular gastro), Chinois, Chaya, the Ivy (for people watching), Osteria Mozza Restaruant (not the pizzaria), Matsuhisa, and the Wilshire (good for drinks).

I work in the financial district in downtown. Downtown there are many fun spots. I agree that Bottega Louis is great, also WP24, Water Grill, Perch (dinner and evening drinks) and Drago. There are also less expensive places that are off the hook like Church and State (french fusion), Engine Co. 28, and Lazy Ox Canteen.

For romantic on the beach - Geoffreys is the best near LA.

Always grab an In and Out burger while your here and Try Umami or Umamicatessen Burgers they are bomb.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Last edited by Wendall; 02-25-2013 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQPDWN View Post
Hello M owners,
I'm from NYC first time having a vacay in LA with my gf this week, asking a help from you guys will be thankful and greatful appreciated.
We will be staying somewhere around Hollywood,or downtown LA ,my question is where do we start of going to some nice romantic fancy restaurants,local famous foods and shop? beach? Thank you LA! M owners!
just to share some M songs enjoy this short clip ///Higher Motorsport NYC

Big Thanks again!
Here you go ... be nice to her ----> 10 Best Romantic Restaurants in LA area

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
meez
Sloppy Seconds Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: uhhh wut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Best restaurant would be Providence
A+ recommendation... The "only" or at least one of the few Michelin starred restaurants in Los Angeles, and worth every penny.

I am a foodie so I will throw you some food spots that you MUST try not only for the food, but for the ambiance as well.

E. Baldi
Canon Dr. & Burton Way in Beverly Hills
- The food here is very simple and elegant Italian fare, and it will cost you no more than $80 for two for plenty of food. Last time I was here I saw Al Pacino, Martin Scorsese, and best of all Jessica Alba. (during one two-hour dinner)

Osteria Mozza
Melrose Ave. & Highland Ave. in Hollywood
- A Mario Batali joint, but reserve your spot in advance as they are booked every night. Ridiculous Italian fare, pricey, yet overall amazing. Last time I was here I had my dinner next to George Lucas, Stephen Spielberg, and the CEO of Disney (forgot his name). There is a more casual experience next door named "Pizzeria Mozza." It also is crowded but well worth the wait.

Katana
Sunset Blvd. & La Cienega Blvd. in Hollywood
- Some say overrated, I say delicious. Go here for Japanese fare... ranging from awesome sushi/sashimi to their robata grilled meats. You can easily do this place on the cheap and also easily spend a few hundred per person here. Excellent ambiance and location for a tourist.

Sugarfish / Sushi Nozawa
Multiple locations throughout SoCal.
- Hands down my favorite sushi spot in LA. Price is fair, sushi quality is AMAZING. That is ALL they have here though, are three set sushi course-meals and a few choices on the side. If you go to the Downtown LA location, make sure to end your meal by walking across the street to Bottega Louie for dessert and coffee. (I don't recommend eating dinner there as the food is sub-par and the hype is not real)

Carnitas Michoacan
Next to Dodgers Stadium
- Best fast food Mexican spot in the Downtown area. Get the Super Nachos and Carne Asada Burrito (anything here is pretty awesome). Open 24/7. Prepare your toilet thought...

That is all I can think of or have time for right now.

All I do is eat...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Too much to do, so little time.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

All of the restaurants on here are good.

If you want something "LA" then I would suggest BOA on Sunset (not in Santa Monica) or Katsuya in Hollywood.

If you have a car I would suggest driving north up the coast on PCH and stoping to eat somewhere in Malibu - Gladstones, Dukes or MoonShadows. Weather is nice all weekend, it will make for an "only in LA" drive.
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
djsueno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW F80 M3

^ +1 the weather this weekend in SoCal is going to be great. Head to the beach. Gladstones has a great location to fuel you up for a run on the coast. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

I just spent the weekend in West LA. What a dump of a place to live now. I was there 12 years ago and it was ok but the roads are just absolute crap now. The 405 is horrid above the Southbay region and will shake your car apart North of the airport. The pot holes on the surface streets are just ridiculous. No way I'd own this car if I lived up ther still.

For the OP, the Getty museum is pretty cool and has a nice place to eat too, especially for brunch. Jose's is also amazing. It got one Michelin star. Melissa and Providence got two. Not sure if Spago or Patina got two back then.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 02-26-2013 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #15
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Nice recommendations.

Wish there were more threads like this in the regional forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
meez
Sloppy Seconds Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: uhhh wut

Quote:
I just spent the weekend in West LA. What a dump of a place to live now. I was there 12 years ago and it was ok but the roads are just absolute crap now. The 405 is horrid above the Southbay region and will shake your car apart North of the airport. The pot holes on the surface streets are just ridiculous. No way I'd own this car if I lived up ther still.

For the OP, the Getty museum is pretty cool and has a nice place to eat too, especially for brunch. Jose's is also amazing. It got one Michelin star. Melissa and Providence got two. Not sure if Spago or Patina got two back then.

All the highways were better 12 years ago. In fact, 12 years ago I could have sworn all the highways were smooth as butter... They are all horrible now... But if he is from New York then these roads aren't that bad for him.

Remember traffic in 2000? Seriously was NO WHERE NEAR as bad as it is today... Or maybe I was younger and more patient back then...

Also, I like your style when it comes to food
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
You can say the same about San Francisco area roads... They were nicer before. Now I don't know any smooth roads anymore.
      02-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #18
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meez View Post
All the highways were better 12 years ago. In fact, 12 years ago I could have sworn all the highways were smooth as butter... They are all horrible now... But if he is from New York then these roads aren't that bad for him.

Remember traffic in 2000? Seriously was NO WHERE NEAR as bad as it is today... Or maybe I was younger and more patient back then...

Also, I like your style when it comes to food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
You can say the same about San Francisco area roads... They were nicer before. Now I don't know any smooth roads anymore.
After living in the OC for the past 12 years, the roads are night and day- even on the interstate freeways, which I don't understand. The 5 just turn to crap as soon as you enter LA County and the 405 is crap after the Torrance area.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 01:12 AM   #19
TQPDWN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

:danc e:WOW!BIG THANKS A LOT TO ALL THESE GREAT ADVICES ! YOU GUYS A GREAT M LOVED!
ps: about the pothole roads, LA road are much better than NYC roads . NYC-THE POTHOLE CITY

Last edited by TQPDWN; 03-02-2013 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 01:24 AM   #20
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

I've only been in LA for just over a year - I think that I'll find this thread more useful than the tourist
      03-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Cheesecake factory in Redondo beach. They have a patio seating that is overlooking the marina.
Choloda Thai restaurant in Malibu on PCH: great restaurant (don't judge the book by the cover), and excellent food. The drive up on PCH have some great spots to park the car.
You have to try Father's office in santa monica: good gourmet burgers and sweet potato fries.
Bottega Louie in downtown LA have some great food (i haven't tried it, but heard that from multiple people), and good desserts including Macarons.
For a nice lunch or even a light dinner, try Urth Cafe-Beverly Hills, and Santa Monica. They have organic coffee and tea, good sandwiches, and excellent Latte. Save room for the dessert because it is outstanding.
That is all I can think of for now. If I can think of more, I will post them for you.
Appreciate 0