BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

04-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Leather Masters vs. Leatherique vs. ChemicalGuys

Looking to clean and condition my Red Fox leather. After researching, I've narrowed down to these products.

- Leather Masters: Water based and reportedly best to use on BMW leather.
- Leatherique: Rave reviews, but may contain oils not good for leather and rather time consuming to apply (2 days to set in sun).
- ChemicalGuys: Looks simple and fast, but cheap.

I like to hear your experiences with these products.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
Looking to clean and condition my Red Fox leather. After researching, I've narrowed down to these products.

- Leather Masters: Water based and reportedly best to use on BMW leather.
- Leatherique: Rave reviews, but may contain oils not good for leather and rather time consuming to apply (2 days to set in sun).
- ChemicalGuys: Looks simple and fast, but cheap.

I like to hear your experiences with these products.
100 % sure Leatherique ...1 day set in sun will be also ok,i have a treat about this,and look the date of this post ....11/11/2012...(treatment was done mid june 2012) and today my Novillo leather still looks like on the pics
I now it's a 2 step treatment,and you need to work,but the result is the best !
Now this year i will do the same thing...and actualy..i don't need to !
But i know one thing ,Leatherique works,and that you can see,feel,and smell
BTW,and your leather will looks Oem but even better like the first day !
My proof are the pics,and when people step in my car...they saying all the same thing...your leather looks fantastic!
Here you go..my post with pics & DIY v v v
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768340

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 04-05-2013 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      04-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
100 % sure Leatherique ...
During my research, your thread is one that introduced me to Leatherique. I know you're a big supporter of it, so I'd like some other opinions.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
During my research, your thread is one that introduced me to Leatherique. I know you're a big supporter of it, so I'd like some other opinions.
I see, i did the same thing like you using 8-9 different great brands !
But......the Novillo leather absorbing everething,and actualy the best result that i had,was with Meguiars leather conditioner,contains aloe vera,and this gives a fresh and shiny finish and i was happy with it ,and i slide a bit on the seats,but the look was ok and the smell also..
So....what was the problem ???
Afther 2-3 day's i saw that the shiny thing was gone...disapeared ?!?!
And yes i did another,and another treatment with the same result...GONE ! ( and after it will be dried out)
So...Leatherique.....STAYS.....YES....in my case for 10 months now
But it's better that you doing like me....before...try others brands,and after you will see even better how good Leatherique is !
It's your car,it's your leather,and your work for the treatment !
Conclusion....it's up to you...but when you give Leatherique a chance...please let me know...you can also PM me for details

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 04-05-2013 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I see, i did the same thing like you using 8-9 different great brands !
But......the Novillo leather absorbing everething,and actualy the best result that i had,was with Meguiars leather conditioner,contains aloe vera,and this gives a fresh and shiny finish and i was happy with it ,and i slide a bit on the seats,but the look was ok and the smell also..
So....what was the problem ???
Afther 2-3 day's i saw that the shiny thing was gone...disapeared ?!?!
And yes i did another,and another treatment with the same result...GONE ! ( and after it will be dried out)
So...Leatherique.....STAYS.....YES....in my case for 10 months now
But it's better that you doing like me....before...try others brands,and after you will see even better how good Leatherique is !
It's your car,it's your leather,and your work for the treatment !
Conclusion....it's up to you...but when you give Leatherique a chance...please let me know...you can also PM me for details
I have used leatherique and it's a fantastic product. The only problem now I have with it the time consuming aspect.

I have another solution. Lux Flakes. This box has lasted over 10 years now. Just put a little bit in luke warm water to make half a bucket and use a towel to wipe down the seat and then I apply the BMW leather rejuvenator. Don't make the mix to soapy. This is very gentle on the leather. This is a good maintenance. Every time you do this the leather is like it is new. I bought this at the local supermarket where all the laundry detergents are kept.
Attached Images

04-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
You might want to add Zaino to your list...
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
In Extremis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xdrive

My vote goes to leatherique, stuff works great.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
rogers08m3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Leatherique is the only worthwhile product mentioned, ime. The other two (and most leather conditioners or cleaners) are almost worthless when used on coated leather (which all BMWs have). Coated means a urethane top coat, just like most leather couches. That top coat is porous and the only real care required to keep it looking new is cleaning. Adding conditioners is usually a good way to accelerate damage since it clogs the pores. It's very similar to clear film, actually.

Leatherique is good because it leaches body oil and dirt *out* of the top coat, rather than trying to force product into it. No double leatherique is best used on non coated leather, but it is still the best option for coated leather imo.

One quick note - you may find that a good cleaning will be more than enough for your leather. If you have a steamer they can be excellent for cleaning leather (obviously be careful with the heat), or just a good medium stuff boards hair brush and some ph neutral soap and hot water... you'll be amazed what comes out of the seats.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogers08m3 View Post
Leatherique is the only worthwhile product mentioned, ime. The other two (and most leather conditioners or cleaners) are almost worthless when used on coated leather (which all BMWs have). Coated means a urethane top coat, just like most leather couches. That top coat is porous and the only real care required to keep it looking new is cleaning. Adding conditioners is usually a good way to accelerate damage since it clogs the pores. It's very similar to clear film, actually.

Leatherique is good because it leaches body oil and dirt *out* of the top coat, rather than trying to force product into it. No double leatherique is best used on non coated leather, but it is still the best option for coated leather imo.

One quick note - you may find that a good cleaning will be more than enough for your leather. If you have a steamer they can be excellent for cleaning leather (obviously be careful with the heat), or just a good medium stuff boards hair brush and some ph neutral soap and hot water... you'll be amazed what comes out of the seats.
Thanks for putting the time into that comment.

I've also read a thread where it was explained as: "Water-based products will pull contaminates off of the polyurethane and leave nothing behind. Oil-based products like Leatherique will remove contaminates, but it will also dry against the polyurethane. You're essentially trading contaminates on the surface for oil. I know people go crazy for the "leather smell" that Leatherique gives, but normally treated leather shouldn't have any smell, let alone a "leather smell." Leather should be fragrance, contaminate, and oil free. Nothing between your rear-end and the polyurethane."
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
JR M3
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I personally use swissvax leather cleaner and leather milk on all of my cars and even some of my clients cars. By far the best products ive used. Works way better than the leatherique and Auto Finesse products. The leather milk also doesnt require the same amount of time as the leatherique rejuvinator oil to saturate into the seats and doesn't leave the seats sticky at all. IMO the leather milk rehydrates leather the best

Here are some 50/50 shots i've done in the last few weeks. All took very little effort to do
Name:  485135_4702881369710_1314320928_n.jpg
Views: 15351
Size:  65.2 KBName:  63987_4723478844634_378960436_n.jpg
Views: 16081
Size:  69.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 02:21 AM   #11
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

i've had great experiences with leather masters and a boars hair brush (swissvax). the leather ended up very clean, soft, and had a nice matte finish like when new. matte>glossy/greasy finish
      04-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
i've had great experiences with leather masters and a boars hair brush (swissvax). the leather ended up very clean, soft, and had a nice matte finish like when new. matte>glossy/greasy finish
Which leather masters product for clean and condition?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogers08m3 View Post
You should see how dirty the water is when you clean with Lux Flakes whish is pH free. It a very cheap alternative for other expensive cleaners, and then you can use any conditioner to treat the leather. I have used it on two ///3 and a series of X5 and X3 and it hasn't harmed the leather or the finish. Especially the cream coloured seats with the colour from the clothes marked, you can see the excellent results once cleaned.
      04-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
rogers08m3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Thanks for putting the time into that comment.

I've also read a thread where it was explained as: "Water-based products will pull contaminates off of the polyurethane and leave nothing behind. Oil-based products like Leatherique will remove contaminates, but it will also dry against the polyurethane. You're essentially trading contaminates on the surface for oil. I know people go crazy for the "leather smell" that Leatherique gives, but normally treated leather shouldn't have any smell, let alone a "leather smell." Leather should be fragrance, contaminate, and oil free. Nothing between your rear-end and the polyurethane."
Interesting - I have never really thought leatherique had a leather smell, smells more like brandy to me. In any event it is an interesting discussion. I am mostly going on my experience and speaking with leather upholsterers. The ones I have spoke with all swore by leatherique (and recommended against traditional conditioners), which was good enough for me. Then again maybe we are talking more about cleaners and not conditioners, in which case (as I mentioned above), I would stick with something ph neutral, or even better, just use steam/vapour.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Leather masters is made for top coated leather so it works very well. No fillers or oils to damage the leather.

Leatherique I have no idea on.

Chemical guys is not known for their leather products, you are better off staying away from their leather products. I love their variety of car wash shampoos and some of their waxes and sealants. Most of their other stuff is just fillers so they have a full portfolio.
      04-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #16
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

I have also gone through multiple types of leather cleaners/conditioners over the last three years with my M and the leather masters is an incredible product. A bit time consuming if your as anal and OCD as I.

The leather masters product has worked extremely well. Connolly leather cleaner also worked very well on the Novillo leather. Yes I know it's not Bentley or Aston Martin leather, but it works very well. Pricy but does go a long way.

Stay away from Wolfgang. Left this white residue all over my black Novillo after a few days.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #17
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR M3 View Post
I personally use swissvax leather cleaner and leather milk on all of my cars and even some of my clients cars. By far the best products ive used. Works way better than the leatherique and Auto Finesse products. The leather milk also doesnt require the same amount of time as the leatherique rejuvinator oil to saturate into the seats and doesn't leave the seats sticky at all. IMO the leather milk rehydrates leather the best
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
I have also gone through multiple types of leather cleaners/conditioners over the last three years with my M and the leather masters is an incredible product. A bit time consuming if your as anal and OCD as I.
Can you guys comment on how the different conditioners compare in terms of oil/greasiness.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #18
JR M3
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
Can you guys comment on how the different conditioners compare in terms of oil/greasiness.
Swissvax

Swissvax is very easy to use but is on the higher side of price for cleaners. Their leather milk is literally applied by pouring a little dime on a white applicator pad and thats good enough to do half a seat. It soaks into the leather really well and leaves the leather soft within an hour or 2. After it has been soaked in, it is not sticky at all and not greasy and doesn't give the seats a glossy shine. It leaves it in the more natural look as how its supposed to be. This is my go to product

Auto Finesse

The Auto Finesse Hide cream conditioner is a great product considering the price. I tried a test section on my personal car and wasn't necessarily impressed by it. It left the seat sticky and was enough for me not to use it anymore. The seat wasn't greasy at all though

Leatherique

Leatherique works great but i don't like the fact that it takes such a long process for the rejuvenator oil to soak into the seat and that the car would have to sit in the sun baking for a day or 2 and then leaves the seat sticky. Although, the Leatherique pristine clean does a god job of removing it. Afterwards, leatherique really didn't leave the seats greasy.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

I have used a lot of cHemical guys waxes polishers compounds clay bats and quick sprays and I find their product top notch. I had a box of their products in my truck including a 300 dollar can of wax and it magically disappeared after taking it into a detailing shop In mississauga. Shame
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
strick10
Rep
Drives: 03 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
+1, Leather masters has products for top coated leather and they work great.
      04-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #21
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Quote:
Which leather masters product for clean and condition?
there are three products that i got in the kit i bought. a cleaner, conditioner, and protection cream. the cleaner comes in two forms, strong or soft cleaner. i was initially using this on some really dirty leather (beige in a convertible), so I got the strong. In my M I just used the cleaner and the protection cream, with awesome results.
      04-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #22
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep

The ChemicalGuy's kit doesn't look too bad, anyone else used this?

Appreciate 0