BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Ideas for interior dye project

The first ones I saw were on E46's and they turned out great. There are plenty of examples floating around. Since it's been kind of dead around here lately, figured it would be fun to have a discussion. Here's an example:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777877

I'm a DIY kind of guy, plus I plan to keep my E92 M3 for a long long time (if not forever). I've toyed with the idea of dying my interior another color just to change things up. Our cars are so much easier to do than E46 M3's (assuming you have non extended leather) because we'd only have to do the seats and door panels. The E46 guys have to either find a new dash, or dye the bottom portion.

My car is Sparkling Graphite on Bamboo Beige. I've absolutely fallen in love with this combo (I'm the 2nd owner), but thought these would look awesome as well:

Cinnamon (from E46 M3, not the newer BMW's)
Sakhir Orange
Imola Red

What color would you chose to dye your interior?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I had an E46 M3 with cinnamon interior and loved it. I vote for cinnamon with the SG exterior.

Cheers
      02-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
CD2534
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Ive never seen a sparkling graphite in person but i must say i love BB interior! I think imola red would look good but Cinnamon would look better.

I honestly think looking at the color of your car in pictures that Sakhir Orange would look absolutely gorgeous and be the best choice.

Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'd have to go with Sakhir Orange, love that color. Cinnamon would be a close second. That sounds like a cool project, W. I'll be really interested to see how it turns out for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Idea - Pink Interior! Rock on.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gom3rPile View Post
Ive never seen a sparkling graphite in person but i must say i love BB interior! I think imola red would look good but Cinnamon would look better.

I honestly think looking at the color of your car in pictures that Sakhir Orange would look absolutely gorgeous and be the best choice.

Keep us posted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
I'd have to go with Sakhir Orange, love that color. Cinnamon would be a close second. That sounds like a cool project, W. I'll be really interested to see how it turns out for you.
To give you an idea of what Sgraph would look like on Sakhir Orange, here's a Singapore Grey M5 with that interior. I'm just throwing the idea around right now, more of a feeler than anything. But honestly, I don't think this would be that hard of a project at all. Just have to be patient and take your time. Plenty of write ups online.

Always wanted Individual. Refuse to pay for it

Here's a good representation of what Sgraph looks like IRL
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

As a former E46 owner with cinnamon that gets my vote. Would look awesome with SG.
      02-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
CD2534
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
To give you an idea of what Sgraph would look like on Sakhir Orange, here's a Singapore Grey M5 with that interior. I'm just throwing the idea around right now, more of a feeler than anything. But honestly, I don't think this would be that hard of a project at all. Just have to be patient and take your time. Plenty of write ups online.

Always wanted Individual. Refuse to pay for it

Here's a good representation of what Sgraph looks like IRL
wow that looks good! Why pay when youre capable? Haha Diy is what makes a car enthusiast!

Ps. looking through your other threads and you have a gorgeous car, goodluck with whatever route you choose.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
The first ones I saw were on E46's and they turned out great. There are plenty of examples floating around. Since it's been kind of dead around here lately, figured it would be fun to have a discussion. Here's an example:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777877

I'm a DIY kind of guy, plus I plan to keep my E92 M3 for a long long time (if not forever). I've toyed with the idea of dying my interior another color just to change things up. Our cars are so much easier to do than E46 M3's (assuming you have non extended leather) because we'd only have to do the seats and door panels. The E46 guys have to either find a new dash, or dye the bottom portion.

My car is Sparkling Graphite on Bamboo Beige. I've absolutely fallen in love with this combo (I'm the 2nd owner), but thought these would look awesome as well:

Cinnamon (from E46 M3, not the newer BMW's)
Sakhir Orange
Imola Red

What color would you chose to dye your interior?
Love this color ... looks fantastic ... good luck with the project keep us posted. If you do it a step by step photo record would be great. Remember a photo equals 1000 words I'm a great believer in that (used always plenty of photographs in my technical reports). Look forward to see more of your project.

Great tread BTW

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gom3rPile View Post
wow that looks good! Why pay when youre capable? Haha Diy is what makes a car enthusiast!

Ps. looking through your other threads and you have a gorgeous car, goodluck with whatever route you choose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
Love this color ... looks fantastic ... good luck with the project keep us posted. If you do it a step by step photo record would be great. Remember a photo equals 1000 words I'm a great believer in that (used always plenty of photographs in my technical reports). Look forward to see more of your project.

Great tread BTW
Thanks for the kind words! The more I research, the more I want to do this. Have to figure out how to take the front seat apart. Looks like it's neck and neck between Cinnamon and S.Orange.

I looking into this UK company that does a 2 stage color change. There's also a matte clear coat put on afterwards. I was worried about how this would hold up after a couple of years, but apparently, putting a couple of layers of clear coat at the end really helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
maxenar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ESS VT2-650 M3

I like to keep mine black lol
Appreciate 0