BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Few pics from Summit Point Shenandoah

Here are a few pics from 6-7 Sept 14 with NJ BMWCCA. Rode up there with my buddy. I didn't drive that weekend so I volunteered to work as a corner worker on Saturday. Took some pictures with the not so great camera on my Droid Razr HD. It is true though, the track is a deer magnet, had to wave the yellow at 2 different corner stations due to deer jumping onto the track. Based on that fact alone, I think I'll avoid that track!! Besides that, the track doesn't interest me, it is too slow for my taste. It does seem technical but I think it is better suited for a go-kart than my heavy a$$ understeering M3.

Number 40 M3 is my buddy's:

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

some pretty good pics for a phone!

i see a wet skidpad that i would have utilized though. although i dont know why there is absolutely no runoff space for it lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

yeah I'd be diggin the wet skidpad, so fun. You don't need any runoff area, not like you're going to UNDERsteer off the circle, lol.

Nice pics Johnny. Is #40 our Hans?! Been wondering about getting up to Shenandoah but quite a long drive.

Come to VIR with TrackDaze Nov. 10-11.

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 01:50 AM   #4
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519
yeah I'd be diggin the wet skidpad, so fun. You don't need any runoff area, not like you're going to UNDERsteer off the circle, lol.

Nice pics Johnny. Is #40 our Hans?! Been wondering about getting up to Shenandoah but quite a long drive.

ha true but what if you have extra fun go extra fast and then just slide off with too much power?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post

That is my buddy Tony, he's going to VIR beginning of October. Hans is going to the one with PCA in mid October? I'm thinking about going to the November one for the grand course but I'm currently job hunting so may not be able to make it.

Yeah, I wanted to get on the skidpad so bad, but they had instructors sitting there to eye ball who goes on. I was a guest so no skidpad for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkimM3r View Post
some pretty good pics for a phone!

i see a wet skidpad that i would have utilized though. although i dont know why there is absolutely no runoff space for it lol.
I snapped a thousand pics on the phone just to get a few decent ones... Slight exaggeration.

The hill in the back was not the issue, but the parking lot was. I thought a few cars were going to skid right into parked cars. Again, I exaggerated.... There was really no danger, but I have a good imagination.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
Andy_H_E92_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
It is true though, the track is a deer magnet, had to wave the yellow at 2 different corner stations due to deer jumping onto the track. Based on that fact alone, I think I'll avoid that track!!
LOL. When I was last up there, I saw a beaver sitting at the edge of the track thinking about crossing at the loop. I waved at it as I drove by. Next lap around, it was gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
Besides that, the track doesn't interest me, it is too slow for my taste.
I still had fun even though I was surrounded by Miatas, Caymans, and Lotuses. Those guys love this "momentum" circuit. You gotta track it and let us know how its replica Karussell compares to the original!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #8
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

Caught me at pit-out in photo #3

Thanks for flagging. It really helped. I had two students - otherwise I would have volunteered.

Of my years at Shenandoah - I have never heard of a car going off the skidpad and getting close to paddocked cars. Even in a spin from the oversteer exercise - you get grip immediately off the wet line. The only real risk from my experience is the little ditch near the back hill...which is why we usually don't try oversteer just before it.

The nice thing about that skidpad is that its right in the paddock and its really easy to get to for everyone. Accessing the skidpad on SP Main is a PIA and eats into track time moving the skidpad groups back and forth on the cold track between run groups. In any case - skidpad time is hard or impossible to get at many tracks and DE participants can't get skidpad experience.

Personally - I like Shenandoah.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

yes there is a lack if skid pad although when i search for videos in general for skid pad most of them are a few years old so i guess engagement just went down the drain. ppl nowadays are more worries about lap times as opposed to car control. sad story.

sorry autocorrect is horrible.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

I attend a few skid-pad only days at Shenandoah, and they are I swear the fastest way to learn car control. I have DE'd with several clubs and I think the ones that seriously skid pad have the right idea.

It's especially nice to be close to the covered parking shelter and the coffee pot when it's 34 degrees and snowing in February.

I've seen the occasional slide tail-first into the berm. Of course, it's always an instructor.

I've never seen anybody slide to the parked cars. But there is a famous story about a driver who got far enough off the pad to scatter the instructors out of their tent.

I've never taken my M3 to a track day there and I doubt I ever will. But others who have say it's fun. I take one of my momentum-mobiles instead. There's plenty to be learned on that track regardless of what you drive. And the freaking thing is crowned, like a regular road, which is good experience for real world driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:51 AM   #11
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantyTracker
I attend a few skid-pad only days at Shenandoah, and they are I swear the fastest way to learn car control. I have DE'd with several clubs and I think the ones that seriously skid pad have the right idea.

It's especially nice to be close to the covered parking shelter and the coffee pot when it's 34 degrees and snowing in February.

I've seen the occasional slide tail-first into the berm. Of course, it's always an instructor.

I've never seen anybody slide to the parked cars. But there is a famous story about a driver who got far enough off the pad to scatter the instructors out of their tent.

I've never taken my M3 to a track day there and I doubt I ever will. But others who have say it's fun. I take one of my momentum-mobiles instead. There's plenty to be learned on that track regardless of what you drive. And the freaking thing is crowned, like a regular road, which is good experience for real world driving.
agree car control is what should be the focus.

since we dont have hardly any skidpads here in socal i just use certain turns to practice my car control. so far its been working greatly and i feel and react much better, as a result, i get faster too. still working on getting to other ppls level though.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
knolow
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

my fav track after watkins glen
      11-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post

I've been MIA for a while; I finally had a chance to go with PCA for a 3 day HPDE for the price of two during Halloween weekend;

Photo credit to Johnny:

I'm slowly driving faster @ VIR; slowly, but getting there
Very thankful for the donated pads I got from Doc Capps; which were used all up that weekend~!

But as Johnny mentioned; Summit Point is a deer magnet!

Hope to see you guys next year!
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 0