BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

08-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #375
trakqar
"M"
Rep
Drives: Aw e90 m3

I wasn't driving the m3, but I was driving the 7. So, my family and I were eating dinner at Pinnacle Peak steakhouse in San Dimas for my mother in laws bday. We finished eating and I was putting the kids in the car, when a guy who was parked right next to us commented and said "nice car!" I said, "thanks." he was ready to leave and said, "want to trade?" He had a Honda suv btw. I just looked at him and smiled and continued to put the kids in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 02:33 AM   #376
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

What the hell, I see this thread all the time, so I'll play. I am a fairly low ranking person in the military. My peers are not in the age group/income bracket to be able to drive an ///M. I however joined later in life when I was already established (owned my own home, married to an educated woman with a good paying job, etc). I won't pretend to make a ton of money, but my wife and I do okay for ourselves, so I have been fortunate enough to own not only an E90 ///M, but an E46 ///M and a Merc. Needless to say, people look at me in uniform, see my rank, then see me get into the ///M3 and are kind of taken aback that I would be driving this car. You don't see too many people with less than 3 years in the military driving a $70k car.

That said, I was at some sort of military all call event in a "theater". I went early, so I got a front spot in the very small parking lot (fits about 10 cars, everyone else had to park elsewhere on base and walk). I was backed in, and when me and a female coworker came out to get in the ///M to go back to work, we were walking behind a group of 3 or 4 other military members (much higher ranking than I) who were parked next to me (their driver side was parked next to my driver side due to the fact I was backed in and they were pulled in frontwards). They all went to get in their car (I think it was a Honda Civic, or something similar) and I waited at the front of my car for the driver to get into the car because there wasn't enough room for both of us between our cars. He saw me standing there looking at him, and as he was getting in he looked at my car, then looked at his and said "this is VIP parking" with a smile on his face. I assume this was a poor attempt at humour, comparing his car to the M3 he was parked next to.

He quite obviously didn't know it was my car, but then quickly stopped himself from getting in, and looked back at me and said "wait, is this your car? Holy shit, is this an M3?!" I said "yes, it's an M3" and he quickly got in and closed his door with an "I feel like an asshole for standing here so you couldn't get into your car" look on his face. He then said something along the lines of "my bad, I'm standing here holding you up". My coworker and I got in, and looked over, and they were all staring from inside their car, faces practically pressed up against the glass, looking my car up and down. We couldn't help but laugh a little as we pulled out and drove away. Pulling out you could see them inside the car talking and laughing and looking back as we drove off.

This isn't the first time I've had people act weird toward me because they see someone so low ranking driving a car that is typically driven by E6's+ or Officers in the military. When I had my Merc, someone at the gas station said to me from 3 pumps away "I gotta ask man, how does an A1C in the Air Force afford a car like that?" Funny thing is, my Merc wasn't even that nice of a car, just a regular C Class I never know how to act in situations like this. They are always awkward, but I guess I will take it as a compliment.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/

Last edited by Rat3d ///M; 08-23-2015 at 02:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #377
AnotherM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW e92 M3

It was a few days before Christmas... I drove to Target and parked my car on the corner, where a homeless man was asking for change. As soon as finished my shopping... I walk back to my car, the homeless man stops me and tells me "All I want for Christmas, is to hear you rev your car a few times..."

I felt like Santa Clause that day!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 06:02 AM   #378
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Great Vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post

I got a funny one last night. Two guys talking about my car at the drag strip

"wow check out the carbon fiber roof. It saves 200 pounds man, that's sick"

I know this is a late response (there are so many threads to read, so little time), but it looked like the other car got the jump AND still lost!

LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 07:19 AM   #379
BRBM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 C63 AMG

Well, not sure if these are funny, nor whether it's gotta be BMW funnies, but here goes. Not surprisingly, they tend to happen in all manner of store/mall/whatever parking lots.

Girl: Nice car, mister!
Me: Why, thank you, young lady.
Girl: You're welcome.
Me: You'll have one just as nice one day.
Girl: Thank you.
Me: You're welcome.

What's so funny?

In my view, the best compliments come from little kids - in this case, what looked like a 6 year-old 1st grader out shopping with her parents. Always makes me laugh inside and think: Damn, today's car nuts are starting at an earlier age; but she clearly knows her s---. And is very well mannered. Me, I was 8 when is was bitten by the bug after seeing a Nissan Z car. Must be in the water.

The following happened on the road from other motorists. They tend to be the complimentary sort of questions coming after the person notices something off - visually - from a regular C Class.

Or about the un-Mercedes-like/atypical luxury car sounds that come out - typically after some loud rev-matching (manual) downshifts or hard acceleration............stuff like:

Did the car come like that?
Is that a real AMG?
The exhaust come like that?
Is it fast?
THAT has a V8?

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
You have no idea. A ticket machine.
A very large one. Could launch the Space Shuttle.

The funny ironies? While having many more life experiences than a 6 year-old, including opportunities to get up to snuff on car specifications, all appeared to be less informed than a 1st grader.

Who knew?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 07:40 AM   #380
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP, 6MT

Walking to my car, a young guy said:
Nice ride!
-Thanks
BMW?
-Yes?
X5?
-humm.... Sure!
Nice, very nice!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #381
dirtstylez
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 White

I got a hat tip like I was god damn Derek Jeter
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #382
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

"I love how tastefully you modded it" about my stock ZCP E90 M3.
      09-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #383
jitenmazee
Banned
Rep
Drives: Chevy Beat

"Your car is absolutely, astoundingly gorgeous and that's the least interesting thing about your car"
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #384
ResoKP
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Not really a compliment but I was stopped at an intersection with the top down while waiting to make a right turn.

A ratchet looking man twice my age was crossing the road, looks at my car, then looks at me. After a millisecond of eye contact of which felt like a whole minute, he starts walking towards me as I immediately press the lock button, and says, "Are you going east? I give you 100 dollars if you take me there. You going east?!"

"No"

Drove off almost sh*tting my pants.

Minutes later, I was driving through a neighbourhood and a 10 year old kid gave me one of these:

So I returned one of these:

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #385
KFN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

My four year old nephew asked me to rev up the motor. I guess he was standing a bit too close to the pipes and the noise startled him. He stumbled backwards a bit and started crying.

I took it as a compliment.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #386
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

(at the track)

what kind of supercharger you have?

NONE.

Appreciate 1
      09-21-2015, 10:02 PM   #387
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

guy: Nice V6 turbo you got there under the hood
me: I wish
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #388
sergbaja5t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92-M3 Comp

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyP View Post
I have been offered BJs in exchange for a ride by two young ladies in a dodge neon. But they were not my type. And also, I was in the Aston, not the M3 so we would have had to take turns (it's a 2 seater).
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #389
sergbaja5t
Private First Class
Rep

Hell I must be lucky, the wife wants me to trade the GL Benz for a newer GL55 AMG, and keep my M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoPaterson View Post
I parked at Wok-it-Up at the same time as a fellow in a Benz SUV. As I walked to Wok-it-Up he said : "Damn, you're lucky." as he walked past with his family to Subway.

Probably only other time after that was filling up at a petrol station and the fellow in the bowser beside me said: "Nice car."

Get the occasional thumbs up from other drivers, but other times I get drivers in other cars race up so they can sit behind me on my tail. WTF? Why don't they overtake? They did all the hard work getting there.

And what is it with Mazda 3 drivers that want to drag me off at the lights?! PUH-LEEZ. The 'zoom-zoom' ads are fiction, dudes.

On a funnier side, there's a corner I traverse on the way to work and I know just how fast to cut it without become part of the landscape -- and sometimes when people tail me without thinking and we get to this corner they're usually braking like fury or flinging their car out. Makes me smile, but I suppose it's lucky no-one's lost control. On the other hand, it's not like I'm forcing them into the corner at that speed...
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #390
sergbaja5t
Private First Class
Rep

I have felt the same when I was in the army. I was already established and had multiple vehicles including a brand new Mustang GT a Ford super duty a couple years old and a later a newer Benz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
What the hell, I see this thread all the time, so I'll play. I am a fairly low ranking person in the military. My peers are not in the age group/income bracket to be able to drive an ///M. I however joined later in life when I was already established (owned my own home, married to an educated woman with a good paying job, etc). I won't pretend to make a ton of money, but my wife and I do okay for ourselves, so I have been fortunate enough to own not only an E90 ///M, but an E46 ///M and a Merc. Needless to say, people look at me in uniform, see my rank, then see me get into the ///M3 and are kind of taken aback that I would be driving this car. You don't see too many people with less than 3 years in the military driving a $70k car.

That said, I was at some sort of military all call event in a "theater". I went early, so I got a front spot in the very small parking lot (fits about 10 cars, everyone else had to park elsewhere on base and walk). I was backed in, and when me and a female coworker came out to get in the ///M to go back to work, we were walking behind a group of 3 or 4 other military members (much higher ranking than I) who were parked next to me (their driver side was parked next to my driver side due to the fact I was backed in and they were pulled in frontwards). They all went to get in their car (I think it was a Honda Civic, or something similar) and I waited at the front of my car for the driver to get into the car because there wasn't enough room for both of us between our cars. He saw me standing there looking at him, and as he was getting in he looked at my car, then looked at his and said "this is VIP parking" with a smile on his face. I assume this was a poor attempt at humour, comparing his car to the M3 he was parked next to.

He quite obviously didn't know it was my car, but then quickly stopped himself from getting in, and looked back at me and said "wait, is this your car? Holy shit, is this an M3?!" I said "yes, it's an M3" and he quickly got in and closed his door with an "I feel like an asshole for standing here so you couldn't get into your car" look on his face. He then said something along the lines of "my bad, I'm standing here holding you up". My coworker and I got in, and looked over, and they were all staring from inside their car, faces practically pressed up against the glass, looking my car up and down. We couldn't help but laugh a little as we pulled out and drove away. Pulling out you could see them inside the car talking and laughing and looking back as we drove off.

This isn't the first time I've had people act weird toward me because they see someone so low ranking driving a car that is typically driven by E6's+ or Officers in the military. When I had my Merc, someone at the gas station said to me from 3 pumps away "I gotta ask man, how does an A1C in the Air Force afford a car like that?" Funny thing is, my Merc wasn't even that nice of a car, just a regular C Class I never know how to act in situations like this. They are always awkward, but I guess I will take it as a compliment.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #391
sergbaja5t
Private First Class
Rep

I do remember a time in my e46 M3, at a McDee's, I was in the drive true, grabbing lunch and was asked if my car was an M3 by a young lady in the drive true, I said yes it. She stated it was a very cool car, ask if the the Navi came with it (huh?) said yes again. A moment past, she gave my order and when got back to school, a was found a free apple pie in the bag-Awesome!
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #392
jester17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
"And what is it with Mazda 3 drivers that want to drag me off at the lights?! PUH-LEEZ. The 'zoom-zoom' ads are fiction, dudes."

Man, this EXACT thing happened to me about two weeks ago... so I smoked the 20-something with a big lip ring behind the wheel -- I could smell his meth -- and when we got to the next light, side-by-side, I had my ultimate moment of placemaking: I roll the window down, he rolls his down, and I say, "Dude -- it may have an 'M' and a '3' in the name, but it ain't no M3."
Appreciate 2
      09-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #393
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 M3 6MT

"what's that bump in the hood for?".

'11 e92 M3 6MT / Meisterschaft GTC

'14 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 08:56 AM   #394
Raek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, '17 Macan GTS

So, I live on Long Island...picture this in a HEAVY "lawn guy-land" accent.

I'm filling up at the local Shell, and an E39 Wagon pulls in. Heavy set individual rolls the window down and says:

"I gotta letchoo know, ya makin me sick to my stomach"

I say, "ummm..."

He says, "this car is fuckin AMAZING, bro! I gotta get a pic-cha and send it to my buddy"

I say, "hahahaha, awesome. go right ahead"

We chat for a little bit, he goes back to his pump and calls over:

"Bro, you fucked me up so much, I pulled in on the wrong side!"
      10-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #395
Hagasan41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ///M3, 1999 E36 ///M3

Buying gas and a guy with his girlfriend/wife in a new Ford Explorer stops and says, "Does that thing have a turbo?" I said, "Nope... it's got a V8." At which point he smiled and said, "love it! Then told his feamle companion, "See honey, that's the last of the real M cars."
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #396
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Coming up to a set of lights in Manhattan and a Ferrari 360 (Black on tan) Pulled next to my M3 Lime Rock Edition.
& Every single person walking cross the street looked and pointed at my car & i got compliments on the sound since i have the Gintani Sport with Challenge Street. I was actually stunned because i thought a "Ferrari" would be more worthy and all since it's a "Ferrari"

Last edited by MTrezzz; 10-07-2015 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0